Domes shonky autos - Manta progress!

dome

Started trying to get the stink of fags out of this thing. Knackered drivers side regulator and a chain smoker=filth.

It'll need done again. And again. Still stinks inside. Any tips for getting rid of the smell of fags?

Will try and get the inlet manifold gasket changed this weekend and give it a coolant flush and proper bleed if I get the chance, the Locost is the priority though if I get the head back for it...

This will get rid and not mask it. Tip is to spray it on and keep it damp, it works by breaking down the stuff that causes the smell and the longer its damp the better it works.

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/interior/carpet-fabric-cleaners/valet-pro-enzyme-odour-eater-1-litre-/prod_1054.html

Despite a fearsome hangover today some progress has been made.

First mission-inlet manifold gasket

Engine bay seems relatively unmessed with.

DSC_0052_zps0krk3jmo.jpg

Manifold came off pretty easily.

Old vs new gaskets-the old one was, to use a technical term, pumped

DSC_0055_zpsoqngsaph.jpg

Cleaned up the manifold

DSC_0054_zpsvxvl1n7z.jpg

and fitted the new gasket

DSC_0056_zpsb4zwqqet.jpg

Back together and bled it up-however the thermostat seemed suspect. At this point the hangover was in full swing so I stopped taking photos and started concentrating on more important things like staying upright. Thermostat was removed-it has the later thermostat at the front of the engine bay which is a good thing. The spring clips on the hoses were a complete arse to get to.

Removed it and tested it-not opening. Arses. Luckily Eurocarparts near me had one in stock so I went and got a new one. Also popped into a srcappy and got a few other bits-new aerial to replace the broken one, new rear wiper to replace the broken one(there's a pattern here...) a set of genuine Land Rover rubber mats too-all for £9.60! The on to Halfords for some wiper blades(pound shop didn't have them and my trade card saved me a bit). Big spender.

Fitted the new thermostat and other gubbins but still struggled to get it to bleed or the radiator warm all the way through.

After a fair bit of fucking about including taking it for a drive I eventually got it to work and the fan was kicking in as it should. The coolant hoses are getting a bit hard though, although the expansion bottle was overfilled which may have contributed. I'll need to keep an eye on it.

I'm not convinced that I've got it in time to avoid OMGHGF yet but as it stands I'm still under £100 all in so if it needs the gasket done it'll get it.

Have some pics. It's only had a quick clean, it really needs a good clay/polish but it's not too bad an example.

DSC_0058_zpsfs2rbmkq.jpg
DSC_0059_zps2w79jcr2.jpg
DSC_0062_zps8chutrm8.jpg
DSC_0060_zpsw8jkmec7.jpg

Well, Schrodingers Freelander (Until I open the bonnet the head gasket is both dead and alive) has completed the giddy heights of 100 miles since new thermostat/inlet gasket/bleed.

Highlights include a trip to the Scotoshite meeting where it was viewed with awe* It also got taken onto the motorway and everything at speeds of up to 70*mph.

The temperature gauge hasn't moved above just under halfway and it hasn't used any water. To celebrate, I'm going to spend this weekend driving an Iveco. Oh yes.  

I've bought one of those coolant block testers to try to establish if my P6 is HGF. You're welcome to borrow it if you want to know.

I think I'll stick with the excitement* of driving it for a bit longer to see if it grenades.

In other news, it's leaked oil on the driveway. What does it think it is, a proper Land Rover?

• 4 weeks later...

Well, now that the Locost is functioning (mostly) I suppose I'd better pay this thing some attention.

Today I fitted the new drivers window regulator which was pretty straightforward. I then cleaned out the idle control valve as it was idling fairly shit. It's a lot better now.

I then gave it it's first proper was in my charge.

It's Saturday night, treat yourselves to this beauty...

post-7629-0-94661700-1466885545_thumb.jpgpost-7629-0-04737100-1466885586_thumb.jpgpost-7629-0-64651800-1466885619_thumb.jpgpost-7629-0-47020100-1466885654_thumb.jpg

Any tips for getting rid of the smell of fags?

Small bottle of UL and some matches?

Might be an idea to lob on a genuwine original coolant cap for the hell of it as they can be a weak spot.

I wonder how many of these things are still 4WD?

It looks pretty sound actually. Good on you for sorting it with not much pound.

The E46 is still my daily, this is a diversion that will be getting an mot on it in a few weeks and then punted on. It's not used any water since replacing the inlet manifold gasket...

Good shout on the coolant cap, someone else told me the same thing. Will get one purchased.

Those K series were unnecessarily complicated weren't they? If it had been me, I'd have launched straight into HGF repair and missed the manifold issue.

Meant to say after following you back from Armadale that it smelled okay, didn't seem to be stuff coming out of the exhaust that shouldn't have.

Aagaadoo go grind some coffee. Presumably you put the stuff in plastic containers so it doesn't stain the damp carpets. Seem to recall reading an odd use for dog food once, but that might have been totally unrelated to a minging car interior

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Obvs. you need to stick it on Gumtree with no mention what so ever of the shortage of driven wheels. That's what everyone does isn't it?

The usual one is 'prop shaft disconnected to make it more economical'!

New gin-yoo-ine coolant cap is winging its way to me now. Got 5 tyres to replace the frankly shocking ones that are on it  and will have a prod about underneath it with a view to it's MOT in 3-4 weeks time. There is a random clunk, possibly the rear diff mount which is apparently cracked according to old MOTs

Those K series were unnecessarily complicated weren't they? If it had been me, I'd have launched straight into HGF repair and missed the manifold issue.
Meant to say after following you back from Armadale that it smelled okay, didn't seem to be stuff coming out of the exhaust that shouldn't have.

Aye that was it's first decent drive and I pushed it as hard as I dared on hard shite tyres. It went well and didn't use any water and hasn't since.

The usual one is 'prop shaft disconnected to make it more economical'!

That's exactly what it said on the ad from when it was sold to the chap I got it from. It also said good tyres which is a blatant lie...

It does have traction control though. In reality I'm sure 95% of people who drive these things would never notice if the prop was disconnected...

• 1 month later...

Well, some progress has been made here. I've put a few more miles on it and it was behaving itself so the dreaded MOT was undertaken.

And... Fail

Emmisions way to high, somwhere about the level of a 1960s Russian airliner. And the handbrake was sticking.

I bit the bullet and bought a new cat for £70 from ECP after guessing which of the two fitted it would be. Cat swapped over, new oil and filters fitted

I also flushed out the coolant after running a dishwasher tab through it to flush out the K Seal I'd put in when collecting it and bled it up with the correct antifreeze. These things are a collosal arse to get coolant circulating properly in and it took a while before the rad was getting hot and the fan kicking in.

Back in for it's test and it passed with no advisories! I got them to fit the 5 new tyres I'd accumulated at the same time so it actually goes round corners now, Nearly....

Its now up on Gumtree for sale or swaps. The swap ad reads

"May swap for other 4x4, 1980s/90s Merc or something interesting?"

So far I've been offered

A Megane Convertible

An MGF

A BMW e46 compact

An Astra Convertible

An e39 528

A Rover 25 1.4

A Citroen Picasso

AND A SPEEDBOAT!!1!!1!!!

Some of those stretch the bounds of what I deem interesting...

And no, I'm not going for the speedboat. What do you think this is, Bullseye? I was tempted though, for about a second.

Got 3 people lined up to view it over the weekend. Will they turn up? Place bets now....

Well, some progress has been made here. I've put a few more miles on it and it was behaving itself so the dreaded MOT was undertaken.

And... Fail

Emmisions way to high, somwhere about the level of a 1960s Russian airliner. And the handbrake was sticking.

I bit the bullet and bought a new cat for £70 from ECP after guessing which of the two fitted it would be. Cat swapped over, new oil and filters fitted

I also flushed out the coolant after running a dishwasher tab through it to flush out the K Seal I'd put in when collecting it and bled it up with the correct antifreeze. These things are a collosal arse to get coolant circulating properly in and it took a while before the rad was getting hot and the fan kicking in.

Back in for it's test and it passed with no advisories! I got them to fit the 5 new tyres I'd accumulated at the same time so it actually goes round corners now, Nearly....

Its now up on Gumtree for sale or swaps. The swap ad reads

"May swap for other 4x4, 1980s/90s Merc or something interesting?"

So far I've been offered

A Megane Convertible

An MGF

A BMW e46 compact

An Astra Convertible

An e39 528

A Rover 25 1.4

A Citroen Picasso

AND A SPEEDBOAT!!1!!1!!!

Some of those stretch the bounds of what I deem interesting...

And no, I'm not going for the speedboat. What do you think this is, Bullseye? I was tempted though, for about a second.

Got 3 people lined up to view it over the weekend. Will they turn up? Place bets now....

Yes, so there are Bullesye winners still trying to move on their prizes.