Domes shonky autos-Manta Magic. How rusty is it?

1 hour ago, cort16 said:

By helping do you mean holding the fire extinguisher? Is it not the swan neck chassis rails being rotten on these that's a real nightmare to fix?

I’ve welded one exhaust previously which never fell off so I’m now classed as a time served welder obvs

Lovely thing, I don't know why but the coupe body on these looks magnificent but the hatch looks a bag of shite in my uneducated opinion.

Since we're all throwing in unsolicited suggestions on what to do with it I reckon a 2.5 or 3.0 V6 out of an Omega would go all right.  Not too heavy I believe, shortish so wouldn't affect handling too much, compatible bellhousing I think?  Or the turbocharged version out of a Saab 9-5...

I once drove an Ascona which had been fitted with the 3.0 24v out of a Senator.  The enthusiastic  young chap had chopped out the entire heater box , some of the bulkhead, and modified the prop... with a grinder and an arc welder.

Scariest mile of my life before it broke down. I wish I could go back in time and give him a slap. 

Old skool turbos don't suit old rwd cars in my opinion, driving how a Manta should be driven,  the lag tends to happen just when you need a bit of oppo. My X1/9 turbo was a twitchy wee bastard and was very ragged when you were "on it". I could probably cover ground quicker with the standard 85bhp.

I'm still stuck in a place in time, so a nice built redtop on twin 45s. 

mind my gaffer at college had a e plate gte, 2l 8 vale running k=jet, as a 16 year old it was fast considering mum only had 1.3's... suppose a 8v o k-jet wasnt really fast compared to today's stuff..... as for the saab turbo lump, naw. decent 16v 2l wwith some old fashioned tuning like porting and polishing the head, forged pistons and rods. just go rally spec but with throttle bodies

A c20ne with a fancy cam and a 4 branch will see north of 150bhp, whether thats enough for you or not I don't know.

Probably a drop in the ocean compared with your overall plans for the car, but scene tax has landed on the Vauxhall/Opel scene as you might know with the Locost  engine. The bigger 8v engines and especially the 16v are pricey now.

8 hours ago, Barry Cade said:

This one was spotted in Falkirk earlier.. you work fast! 😃

FB_IMG_1619996382246.jpg

Must be a feature of getting older. It used to be all GTEs for me but now that coop in that colour looks the absolute. Would 

tedrongarage0426-1_zps50dcdbd6.thumb.jpg.d433a018ec1654cb16f569d8ed8ba84f.jpg

Here's my old one in its original pastile de turquoise paint and was when new What Car magazine's long term test/fleet mule.

Great looking car it had a 3.0 essex engine and autobox in it when i obtained it that over time got swapped back to 2.0 vauxhall and four speeder.

Another one i regret selling.

1 hour ago, Split_Pin said:

A c20ne with a fancy cam and a 4 branch will see north of 150bhp, whether thats enough for you or not I don't know.

Probably a drop in the ocean compared with your overall plans for the car, but scene tax has landed on the Vauxhall/Opel scene as you might know with the Locost  engine. The bigger 8v engines and especially the 16v are pricey now.

I did think about keeping the XE from the Locost with the Omega box-it was pretty sorted and went well. I couldn't be arsed with the thought of breaking it though as at the time I'd no idea how long it'd be before I got a Manta.

The scene tax is one of the reasons for going for a modern drivetrain though, the other being that a 20+ year old redtop or the like will likely be slightly* passed it's prime. 

A Mk3 MX-5 engine and box is the current favourite choice-2.0 16v with 160bhp standard and a 6 speed box. A 2.5 conversion is possible using a donor Mazda 6 Sport.

I don't want crazy power, the Kangoo with 180 bhp and 1000kgs is the benchmark for performance. The original 400 was rated at 160bhp in road trim anyway. 

I'd keep it at a four pot as well for balance. A modern all alloy unit must be a good chunk lighter than the old cast iron CIH lump. Like I said before the 2 litre gte never felt slow and I'm sure they were only 115bhp? 150 or so out of a duratec or mazda 16 valver you'd reckon would feel brisk as fuck. The duratec in my st is rated at 148bhp, the car weighs around 1080kg and that feels a quick car. Noisy and torquey though so it doesn't matter how quick it is, it feels quick! 

That's what matters these days I reckon, the sensation of speed rather than out right pace

If there's nothing wrong with the CIH lump I would keep it. They are'nt the most refined but they go on forever.

Well, thanks to @worldofceri and @Inspector Morose the Manta has been transported from Devon to its new home in Fife.

Here she is as delivered.

IMG_20210505_134030.thumb.jpg.20131718611d293c05be1d4e29512aa4.jpg

IMG_20210505_150824.thumb.jpg.904868040ff4741df1fde1c299dbf436.jpgIMG_20210505_150815.thumb.jpg.894148e78e96e8501d5f5d15df8ac3a9.jpg

How many owners?IMG_20210505_151318.thumb.jpg.46006733f2086e5fa99f9055a1388c1f.jpg

Oh.

Wonder how much it cost new?

IMG_20210505_151949__01.thumb.jpg.bc9d65fe31599bc772aac3a02ff01bfb.jpg

Traded in a Manta too. Legend.

Captains view

IMG_20210505_150832.thumb.jpg.4048574bff222a98980f44b7c760d1dd.jpg

IMG_20210505_190544.thumb.jpg.b1bc6f0b7b663715ef402a16cc2c5338.jpg

Smelly*

IMG_20210505_185650.thumb.jpg.202b21b665446ccf823b245a8c84b95f.jpg

Holey

IMG_20210505_150856.thumb.jpg.180e535946ee9251c436f8a4dde0027c.jpg

Boot

IMG_20210505_190452.thumb.jpg.c2314ddeae27b531b45968b3d85b8044.jpg

First things first, lose the roof rack. It's spoiling the lines of my 1980s sports coupe.

IMG_20210505_190554.thumb.jpg.2e9b18ec998a608ed6a24e0178ba8e65.jpg

That's better

@Fraz came over for a poke around. The rust, whilst on first glance not insubstantial, looks better than my last Manta. Which I sold in 1998😲

That's all for tonight. Next up I'll give it a damn good clean and get busy with the plusgas with a view to stripping it down for rust repairs. A rotisserie will be getting ordered up to make poking the undersides easier.

• dome changed the title to Domes shonky autos-Manta Magic. She's here 😁

The hole surprised me also. I fell into it as I stared into its dark centre for too long. Luckily I landed back on domes driveway so it was all good, I don’t think dome noticed. 

I LOVE this car. It is tremendous value for money I think.

1 hour ago, dome said:

Well, thanks to @worldofceri and @Inspector Morose the Manta has been transported from Devon to its new home in Fife.

Here she is as delivered.

1 hour ago, dome said:

Well, thanks to @worldofceri and @Inspector Morose 

IMG_20210505_150832.thumb.jpg.4048574bff222a98980f44b7c760d1dd.jpg

Smelly*

Holey

Boot

@Fraz

That's got some serious potential. Did the original owner pass on or something?

Gearchange just looks plain weird- surely it's not factree to have to force your hand into your passenger's crutch area when selecting reverse? 

2 hours ago, Dick Longbridge said:

Gearchange just looks plain weird- surely it's not factree to have to force your hand into your passenger's crutch area when selecting reverse? 

Fairly sure most of the gears worked that way when I had a Manta at 19.

47 minutes ago, Split_Pin said:

Nice one, a dream come true for you!

I recall school pals parents MK1 Cavalier rusted in exactly the same place.

Thanks. It is indeed! You, all of scotoshite and anyone else I've had a vaguely automotive chat with are probably sick of hearing me going on about Mantas. Finally i can get on with making one the way I've wanted to for all these years!

• dome changed the title to Domes shonky autos-Manta Magic. How rusty is it?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By Shirley Knott
      Greetings all.

After lurking here for a short while, frankly liking what I see and enjoying the various shite, the site has well and truly struck a chord with me. I'm a serial buyer of ropey sub £1k vehicles, don't have to but genuinely enjoy it.

I feel like I might (Just might) have found my 'spiritual' home here

I've been posting across the web on owner specific forums (Usually using either my JoeyEunos or RandomPrecion handles) for a while now, but from here-on-in I will pull my threads together and merge them here into one ghastly topic.

My current steeds...

Lupo 1.7 SDI

SAM_5560 by

and the work/story so far...http://forums.clublupo.co.uk/index.php?/topic/102863-joeyeunoss-sdi-beater/

Golf Mk4 SDI

SAM_5531 by

and the thread.... http://uk-mkivs.net/topic/597074-project-slow/

Early (1989) Mk1 Eunos (This one was recently sold)

SAM_4656 by

the thread...http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=213274

Other shite I've owned and moved on in the last year include this ropey Passat...

SAM_6011 by

and this legendary £300 Fiesta Finesse...

Festa by

Cars I'd like to own/actively looking for in the forthcoming weeks/months/years...

Rover 75 (Dizzler)
      Peugeot 405 (XUD)
      Mk1 Octavia (Estate/dizzler, pre pd or SDI)
      Honda CRV (Gen1)
      Volvo 240/850
    • By Peter C
      Woke up this morning, had a little time before I had to leave the house for work, had a quick look at what’s new for sale on Retro Rides and saw an ad for a W124 200E manual, located 15 miles from home. I had no intention of buying a car today but I had to have it! I called the seller and arranged a viewing.

Faults:

2 x rusty front wings (TADTS)
      1 x rusty rear arch
      Needs a polish
      Tracking is out because new track rod end was fitted for MoT
      Engine has oil leak/s

Good points:

It’s a W124 200E!
      5 speed manual transmission
      New clutch
      Brand new MoT
      Superb MoT history
      4 x as new Continental tyres
      Last owner for 15 years, her husband before that for 4 years
      Very tidy MB-Tex interior
      Drives well
      All electrics work

The dealer kindly delivered the car to my house but I managed a pez station shot on route:

Plans:

Remove front wings, cut away rust and apply plenty of wob.
      In-situ similar repair for rear arch
      Clean and polish
      Service engine
      Adjust tracking
      Leave patina and enjoy the car as it is

I will update this thread once progress is made.

Hopefully these two will become good friends.

• By Fumbler
      To mark the genesis of my fleet project thread I here present my new car: a 1997 Nissan Micra Shape-

It really looks that good. There is a reason for this: its previous owner was an old lady who loved the thing so much so she made every effort to keep it in good shape. It originally came from Fleet in the GU postcode which suggests to me it was bought by the present dealer at auction, hence arriving down here in Kent. Before seeing the car I checked its MOT history and its only fails were thanks to broken stoplights, which shows me that it was very well cared for. I suppose an example of this was that on the last MOT, an advisory was a corroded rear silencer. The silencer on the car when I saw it was new. Methinks the lady wanted to keep it as good as possible. It was kept in a garage and so all the bumpers and black trim are very black and the tyres are in very good condition. Spare never used! Also included a free Dettol first aid kit from 1997.
      This car has 15000 genuine miles on the clock. We clocked over 15000 during the test drive! The lady owner really only trundled around her village in it and the MOT shows that it only did some meagre miles between tests. This, of course, came at a price. We saw a cherry red Micra from 2002 at the same dealer. Paint was shoddy and when they washed it the boot had massive sections of bare metal and it wasn't very happy. This car, however, is in fabulous condition and there was no contest between the two cars- it really is that good, inside and out. Immaculate interior, driver's airbag, cassette player... all there and all functioning (apart from cassette thanks to new battery and failed display). This meant that I bought it for £1600, £100 over what was my uppermost limit, but I knew I wouldn't see another like this that was in as good shape for a fair while. It was priced very ambitiously, at £1990, so I'm content in the fact I managed to slash a few hundred off the price. There wasn't that much paperwork though. All the dealership received was the logbook with 3 service stamps from 1998, 1999 and 2000, the radio key pass, a National Trust sticker, and the original paperwork holder. I suspect the old lady died and had her car auctioned, and the massive file of paperwork is now someone's egg carton, along will everything else she owned.

As always, this car isn't exactly in showroom condition. While the inside is great and the floor is solid, and the underseal is in great shape, the not undersealed parts need a small looking at. Mainly the rear of the driver's side sill. It's really the only bubbling on the car. I suspect a well aimed stonechip managed to fester over the wintery salted roads, making it rust even more. It's around the size of a 5p piece, and will give me the opportunity to spray the insides of the sill with some chain oil to prevent any further corrosion. Behind the fuel tank there are a few rusty joints- places where the spraygun cannot get paint onto- which some Vactan and Dynax should put to rights. Alternator belt looks original because of the cracking and Nissan badges and will need doing soon as well as the front plate. As much as I like the 90's font and original dealer surround, the dishevelled R and general water ingress is a persistant MOT advisory. It could be the MOT station being strict (and most likely is considering there's a Saxo down the road with far worse blackening), however for the sake of peace of mind and all that, I'll get a new one made. The rear has already been replaced indicating this has happened before.
      All in all, I think this is a nice plucky motor. I'll have it by the end of the week; just got to sort out tax, insurance, and it's going to have an MOT. As part of the deal it's getting the MOT and an oil and filter change which will be something ticked off the list. It has some love scratches and chips here and there, but it drives well, is stiff and controllable, and should make out to be a nice summer project!
    • By Dick Longbridge
      As with many of the members on here, I tend to read and comment a lot, but haven’t done much in the way of my own shite related posting. The onslaught of miserable teenage goat bummers (©Bollox2019) has encouraged me to share a little more, rather than look at the screen and shake my head. As my fiancée once told me, Dick is for sharing. Or something.

Updates are likely to be sporadic, and not necessarily ‘car project work’ per se. Sometimes it may just be the odd photo.
      Anyway, now the disclaimer is out the way, and without further ado, I’ll start with this.

I bought my Lambretta just over ten years ago. I’ve had a few over the years, and even dabbled with the dark side, or as they are sometimes known, Vespa.

Collection of this scooter involved a fucked Transit, and a day trip to Stoke from sunny Cornwall. Breathing in diesel exhaust fumes which permeated the van through the rusty gaps under the back doors was becoming tiresome by the twelfth hour of driving. We managed it though, and the scooter was well worth the journey. It’s an Italian 1967 SX150, with a 186 Imola kit, plus various other trick bits. It was originally Verde Mela - a rare Innocenti colour - which is basically apple green. Unfortunately the previous owner stripped every last trace of it from the frame, and repainted it in a Peugeot metallic. Not something I could ever bring myself to do, but it looks good all the same.

I had plenty of fun with the scooter, and even made it to the Isle of Wight rally on it (I’ve done this a few times on previous scooters). However, as with many of us, life and house got in the way, and it’s sat in the garage under a cover for way too long.

I hadn’t fired it up for well over 12 months, so decided to drag the old dear out into the sunshine, fire her up, and give her a blast around the estate. I did a quick video of getting the scooter started - no sound because time lapse - startup was a bitch as the fuel was really stale, half evaporated and leaving the oil/ratio mix completely oil heavy. You can make out when it eventually fires up in the video - wait for the smoke around the back end!

I’ll end by adding the startup video. I’ve got a load more photos somewhere on the external HDD, including some of my previous Lambrettas. I'll have to dig them out when I get chance.

TTFN.

• By sharley17194
      Ive been waiting to run a project thread, but as it seems i do so many projects at once picking one is a night mare, plus my plans change faster than the wind, i thought id create a random project thread and id just update it with whatever i was working on at the time. The current list of candidates is as follows....

Vanden Plas 1300 - parked
      1993 Mini SPI - finish stripping engine for MG 1300
      MGF 75th Edition - NEW - SCRAPPED
      Rover 75 - SCRAPPED
      Ausitn 1300 GT - SOLD
      Purple Morris 1100 - NEXT! - SOLD
      Blue MG 1300 - scrapped
      Red 1985 mini - engine rebuilt
      Green 1971 mini - winter hibernation 
      White MG 1300 repaint and rebuild
      Blue mk1 Ausitn 1100 welding and paint
      Blue mk1 wolesley - decide on future
      Baby Blue mk2 morris 1300 - SCRAPPED
      Clubman estate - a one day project - SOLD
      Magenta kit car x3 ....1 one road, one painted red, one waiting to be scrapped - 1 scrapped, 1 sold
      White Vanden Plas 1300 - SCRAPPED
      Ford KA X1 - SCRAPPED
      Volvo v70 - SOLD
      Golf GTE - SOLD
      Mg 1100 - 1963 - With little garage classics being rebuilt.
      Mg 1100 - 1965 - SOLD
      MGF x1 - one scrapped one now on the road. 
      Reliant Robin x2 - one scrapped one now on the road - SOLD
      1983 MG Metro - in temp storage
      1967 Austin 1100 estate - SOLD
      New cars to fleet:
      2000 Mondeo TD Estate