Domes shonky autos - Manta progress!

dome

Ah, good old mission creep. I decided to check out the non working cruise control last night, starting with the clutch and brake switches. So, off came some trim to get access. It was filthy. This happened.

Dishwasher.jpg.f8d4517167cc14f99c5f091824473a1a.jpg

I also removed the centre console to fix a couple of things, it wouldn't fit in the dishwasher though... The aux input had fell out of it's mount so I refitted this, I also fixed the little blind that slides up and down with the handbrake-it had broken. Little victories and all that.

Oh, the cruise control, I hear no-one ask? No switches on the brake or clutch lever in the cabin, these are on the master cylinders it appears. Arses

Oil leak wise there's still a drop coming from the RHS of the engine bay which I'll need to have a look at. I still get the occasional whiff of oil too when I come to a standstill. The oil feed on the turbo seems dry as does the return. More prodding required. 

The EML has been on when I stat it up with an error code for exhaust gas pressure. These sensors commonly fail but a check on the connector(one of the many I'd removed) and it clicked home. The light stayed out the next time I started it. We'll see if it stays out. The traction control light is now on all the time though, it failed it's MOT for this last year. Diagnostics required...

With regards to the diagnostics thing I've just invested £15 in a Carista app and bluetooth dongle which apparently can read fault codes from all the controllers, not just the engine like torque. Worth a punt. 

My £6 parking sensor arrived, I'll get that fired on too and hopefully that'll fix the sensors. All being well it should get a couple of hundred miles put onto it this weekend. 

Whew. I need a lie down!

I use one like this from AliExpress, it wasn't too bad to set up and will happily talk to my CANBUS B6 Pisshat https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000149591559.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.36fb489cPiRWXd&algo_pvid=5c36e816-6187-4114-9f7d-3211db3b18d5&algo_expid=5c36e816-6187-4114-9f7d-3211db3b18d5-1&btsid=c75b8db9-a39e-491a-8595-c928cd087145&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_3,searchweb201603_60

Obviously it'll be riddled with computer aids so use it on a throwaway laptop. You're welcome to borrow mine but I'm the wrong end of the country!

1 hour ago, Tepper said:

I use one like this from AliExpress, it wasn't too bad to set up and will happily talk to my CANBUS B6 Pisshat https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000149591559.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.36fb489cPiRWXd&algo_pvid=5c36e816-6187-4114-9f7d-3211db3b18d5&algo_expid=5c36e816-6187-4114-9f7d-3211db3b18d5-1&btsid=c75b8db9-a39e-491a-8595-c928cd087145&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_3,searchweb201603_60

Obviously it'll be riddled with computer aids so use it on a throwaway laptop. You're welcome to borrow mine but I'm the wrong end of the country!

What’s the chat with this software? Is it terrible or does it actually work?

Put 300 miles on this today with no trouble at all

I know, I know, it's a modern so it should be able to do that no trouble. Still, it's always nerve wracking when something arrives at your door fucked and on a trailer.

Average was an indicated 50 mpg, that is until my good lady got a shot. She's now driven it faster than I have...

On 9/7/2019 at 7:23 PM, Fraz said:

What’s the chat with this software? Is it terrible or does it actually work?

It's a cracked full version of VCDS and so far seems to be identical to the real thing, I've done some coding with it as well as just the normal diagnostic stuff and it worked OK. I think I have version 18.2, not sure how good any of the other cables/versions are but AliExpress are pretty good on refunds if it turns out to be shit.

The Carista dongle arrived today so I had a quick play with it. There was a mass of fault codes related to the fucked battery so I cleared them and got these

Engine:
P0568 - Cruise Control Switch (E45), Implausible Signal
P1698 - Please Check DTC Memory of Steering Wheel Electronics

ABS:
00493 - ESP-Sensor Unit (G419)

Central electronics:
00924 - Relays for headlamp wash/wipe system (J39)

Steering wheel:
00895 - Cruise Control Switch (E45)

Heater & air conditioning:
00716 - Air recirculation Flap Positioning Motor (V113)
01274 - Air Flow Flap Positioning Motor (V71)

The app is good for reading all the modules on the car for codes where torque can just read the engine ECU.

I also set some things like opening all doors with the remote on the first press of the fob instead of just the drivers door. It'll do loads of nifty things like that.

What it won't do like vcds is code in new modules and the likes of that. Worth the £16 for the dongle though with a months software subscription. It's £40 for a years subscription after that.

The main one causing worry is the esp one as that'll fail the MOT. On some vag stuff it's a sensor under the seats but mine doesn't seem to have one there so it's part of the abs module.

Great. Remind me why I went modern again?

5 hours ago, Tepper said:

It's a cracked full version of VCDS and so far seems to be identical to the real thing, I've done some coding with it as well as just the normal diagnostic stuff and it worked OK. I think I have version 18.2, not sure how good any of the other cables/versions are but AliExpress are pretty good on refunds if it turns out to be shit.

Smashing - Ill try that for £21ish 

Right, time for an update I suppose. 

MR2 

I've done a little bit to this-a new steering UJ was required as we discovered on the first corner of the first lap of the last track day! Mildly frightening...This has been fitted with a bit of faffing but I failed to get the steering wheel straight. The easiest way to do this is to undo the UJs and relocate it, this will save me removing the airbag and steering wheel.

When we fitted the engine it was running a very weak mix of antifreeze-basically what was left in the system after hauling the engine out. I wanted to get fresh antifreeze in before winter.
These things are notoriously difficult to bleed apparently however when I fitted the engine it bled up no bother. There are 2 bleed valves under the front "bonnet"-1 at the bulkhead and one at the radiator. Toyota provide clear plastic pipe which you attach to these and then hang from the opened bonnet to bleed it up.

Here it is with the steering joint in the middle of getting replaced. You can see one bleeder with the clear pipe coming out of it, the other is at the top of the radiator.

1048226318_ujpipes.thumb.jpg.cdbc2136bc4c89263e7ba6e452eba03b.jpg

And here it is with the bleed pipes dangling 

bleeding.thumb.jpg.747a1090d3c97491b1c75ba68d1180b5.jpg

I drained it and filled with fresh coolant it a week or so ago but never got the time to run it up as I was away most of last week. So, on Sunday I thought "I'll just nip out and bleed it up, shouldn't take long."

5 hours later and the fucking thing still wouldn't bleed up. I jacked the front up as high as I could to help it bleed. Lyndsey went out to walk the dog. I kept trying to bleed it but no heat from the heater and the radiator wouldn't get warm. Lyndsey came back with the dog. I kept going, I added more fuel as it conked out through lack of it. I went a short drive to the garage to get fuel to find it shuts a 2 on a Sunday. It's after 2? FUCK!
Shortly after I gave up and sat in the huff.

On Monday I had a brainfart. I went home, after getting some fresh antifreeze(Yes, I'd used all of the stuff I'd added trying to bleed it) I reversed the car up on a set of ramps, topped up the coolant and started it up.

Less than 5 minutes later and heat was coming out the vents.

At this point I stopped and went and had some wine.

Of course, the car was jacked up at the back when I started it up the first time, hence why it bled up no bother. You live and learn-the guide I found said to jack the front up. LIES.

Of course the main reason I had it at the house was to fix the blown exhaust-this had failed and it looks like it was because I had the mounts too rigid. I've welded it up and rejigged the mount setup. The joys of learning through experience...

Slightly better weld.

zorst.thumb.jpg.f968af34f04df23c861e90e94de74965.jpg

I drove it to work today and the heater was toasty and the gauge happy. I've not driven it properly since the track day so had forgot how much fun it is :) I checked it at lunchtime and the level is fine, managed to get a wee bit more air out of the bleed valves too. I also managed to get the steering wheel straight so that's a win. 

S4

Has been languishing at Duncans while the MR2 has been at home for fettling. I'll get it in for 4 wheel alignment to see if that helps the random noise (it'll definitely help the tyre wear...)and take it from there.

And last, but very much least

Octavia

Main thing that happened here has been cleaning to get rid of the smell of fags from it. A vax has been applied and much grottiness removed. I also worked my way through the fault codes it had using the Carista app and dongle. It seems pretty decent at £16 for the dongle and 1 months subscription. I'll get a play with Frazs hooky VCDS at some point and may go down that route but it'll do for now.

I never saved the first set of fault codes-there were over 50 but most of these were due to the fucked battery.

Here's the state of play around 1 week ago

1408615148_obdbefore.thumb.png.e67446589f0e779bb0ac78b527877e8a.png

A new fuse fixed the headlamp washers
A new cruise stalk got the cruise control working again, the one I removed looks like an aftermarket one, these are a very common failure point but at £15 for a new stalk it's not the end of the world.

Some progress...

438988240_obdafter.thumb.png.f96ff7e145deddeeac8a94414121918d.png

The code for the ventilation flaps Fraz on here sent me a calibration procedure which I tried. I've not checked the codes but as the ventilation seems to work OK I'm not too fussed.
I've ordered a LHS repeater to fix that code as well, that's an MOT fail too. 
That only leaves the ESP light which is now intermittent-it doesn't appear on the second screenshot but has been on and off. I'll likely need to order a new sensor but will also need proper software to code it in. I suspect it would be ambitious to stick it in for it's MOT at the end of November and hope the ESP light stays out... 

I also used Carista to do some customisation-things like opening all doors with the first press of the unlock button and a courtesy wipe a few seconds after you wash the screen.

I put it in to my local garage to get a rear puncture repaired and rear wheels balanced-typically the puncture was too close to the edge and they couldn't balance it properly as the other wheel was buckled. Arses

Interestingly I put some Shell V-Power diesel in it as I figured it was better than a fuel additive to clean it out.  Now it's possible that the 3/4 tank of fuel it came with had been in there a while but the car seems quicker on this magic diesel fuel. May have to try some scientific* tests to see if this is real or just in the mind.

• 2 weeks later...

So, I had the S4 booked in for geometry as I knew it needed done. I was trying to get to the bottom of the noise from the rear which seemed to come from the passenger side and was getting worse.

I was sure (read couldn't believe) it wasn't the wheel bearing as I'd replaced this one less than 18 months ago. However Lo and Behold-with the aid of Fraz we confirmed it does indeed seem to be the wheel bearing that has failed. Arses. It was a Meyle one as well bought as I was under the impression they were good!?!

I've cancelled the alignment til I get the bearing changed for obvious reasons.

I've contacted the seller and they'll need the old one back for warranty purposes. It's £40 for a decent(well actually who knows?) bearing or £60 for one with the flange pressed in which saves some fucking about with the local garage and their press. Hopefully I'll get a refund for the old one but we'll see. 

MR2 seems fine, would be nice to get another track day in this year but finding the time is the biggest issue.

Octavia is, er, still an Octavia. The oil leak is back, as it decided to tell me 10 miles into a 200 mile journey at the weekend when the whiff of burning oil came into the cabin. Fine on the move, only noticeable when you slow down

There's also a dash issue somewhere as the warning lights are playing up-at the moment the battery light is syncd to the seatbelt light, the cruise control light to the TPS light(which this car doesn't have) and the  headlight to the fog light. The ESP light has also been more permanent of late. Tempted to get it through it's MOT and get it to fuck and buy something with less warning lights but we'll see. 

Meanwhile, it met a friend, Fraz D Roosevelt of this parish

twins.thumb.jpg.2813d582c861c446dfa48a898561a900.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

OK, Mojo of late has been low, mainly with the dark nights creeping in and life getting in the way at weekends.

If I put down on here what I want/need to achieve with the fleet then it's visible for all to see and you can all shame me when it doesn't happen.

Octavia.

Fraz won't be taking this off me as he found out it was a Cat D in 2011.
My fault, i never checked as it was so cheap it didn't matter. There's nothing visible to my untrained eye that gives me any cause for concern, although it may explain the lack of badges on the tailgate? 
It might make it a bit trickier to sell as I'll need to declare it but values are strong and it'll still be the cheapest Scout with a fresh MOT, new turbo and timing belt. I've not done anything to the cosmetics of it yet but it'll clean up pretty well I'm sure.
I got a new set of alloys locally due to the knackered one. They came with better tyres than were on it so win win. I'll weigh in the old ones to get some cash back.

So, plan is:

Replace ESP sensor(on the way)

Chuck in for MOT

Get it through an MOT

Timing belt (if the MOT is an easy win)

Haldex fluid (needs done every 40K, cheap to do and will help mine stand out in amongst all of the other ones for sale)

Make it pretty

Sell

S4

I've been in negotiations with a boy localish to me who has brand new wheel bearings with flanges pressed in to them for sale. This saves me having to get my flange pressed out/in so is a lot less hassle. I'll hopefully get them this week and get it fitted, then I can start driving it again. I miss it.

Bearing first, then once something else is on fleet I'll deal with the other things it needs-lpg service + oil check valves in the head.

Driving the Octavia I'm constantly watching my average fuel economy as I tell myself it needs to be economical. 
Driving the S4 I don't care about the costs because LPG so I leave it on instantaneous MPG, just for a laugh :)

MR2 

Duncans been using it this last week or so so I'll give it a final coolant bleed then get the front end back together. I'll also refit the trim in the cabin to bring the noise levels down a bit. It doesn't weigh that much so won't make much difference on track, it'll make it a lot more pleasant to drive on longer journeys though.

10 minutes ago, gm said:

what about the locost - do you still have that stashed away somewhere ?

I do indeed, i had a minor bump with it a year ago and it's been sitting in my lockup waiting for me to fix it ? I've got a full front suspension setup to fit but some fettling will be needed so it needs dragged back from my lockup  to the garage where tools/power is which isn't easy when the front end is off?

It'll get done over the winter and sold come the spring to fund a Manta

10 hours ago, dome said:

And of course once the Octavias gone I can set about finding a Clio 172 and a Kangoo and making my winter smoker :)

Don't overlook the lower speed limits of a van on national speed limits.

Not sure if that will affect your decision making

10 hours ago, Tickman said:

Don't overlook the lower speed limits of a van on national speed limits.

Not sure if that will affect your decision making

That is something I'd need to think about. I did contemplate a Kangoo "Car", will look into it further.

I should be offended that you'd think I might exceed the limit on her majesties highways but I know you mean well ;) 

So, the Octavia is with Fraz just now who's decided he doesn't want it (he's a fussy bugger). It'll be on its way back to me once he's fitted the ESP sensor, then I'll get it punted. I think it'll sell ok, Scouts seem sought after, especially at this time of year. Here it is looking pretty(ish)

IMG_20191102_110236386.thumb.jpg.a40ad205326dec78e4bc95a5abb0edc7.jpgIMG_20191102_110214992.thumb.jpg.3956b7283017dd980ffd892b7506efcb.jpgIMG_20191102_110227273.thumb.jpg.d8044b035b6550667a25960ca4fe5f94.jpg

It's not perfect but it'll be priced to reflect this. 

So, in the meantime a replacement is needed. I've decided to put the Kangoo mission on hold in order to get the Locost sorted out and the S4 fettled.

Criteria was

Petrol-the octavia reminded me how much I hate diesels and on my 10 mile commute was barely managing 40mpg

non turbo-simplicity is king

Room for bikes

As much MOT as possible

Cheap.

Ideally broken so cheaper

Gumtree and Facebook were perused at length and a candidate was found.

So off I trundled into Edinburgh last Sunday night to check out a candidate. A Honda Jazz had been found. This one wasn't too rusty, it was advertised as spares or repairs as it had a noisy gearbox. Common problem on these apparently.

The old boy selling it was a bit of a wannabe trader and waggled on about anything and everything. I'm not sure but I suspect he may have been responsible for the "repair" to the bumper. Mild haggling happened and it was mine. 

Here she is as found.IMG_20191107_131029352.thumb.jpg.79af5f12060fef0ac2791da9f1676a1c.jpg

64k, mot'd til June. Apart from the gearbox noise in 1st to 3rd it had an eml on for egr valve and the abs seems to like to kick in at random. A couple of commutes under its belt and things were looking promising mpg wise

IMG_20191107_083854019.thumb.jpg.f499e765eca6c3974eb29cb575e41e0e.jpg

It drove pretty well so I decided to treat it to a service.

Oh, I forgot to show the bumper "repair"

Take a minute if you will to take all of this in

IMG_20191106_120844290.thumb.jpg.e41d8ff1752e17287864be9a705e1580.jpg

Of note are the following

The terrible attempt at filling 

The paint "match"

The fact it's on the exhaust (and the tire from where he's done another "repair")

The fact there's a FUCKING PARKING SENSOR THERE so there was no need to hit anything in the first place...

Anyway, today's plan was simple-i'd changed oil and the air filter during the week as a first step. The oil looked really bad when I dipped it before purchase but wasn't actually that bad when I dropped it.

First up, Change plugs

8 of the little feckers, because racecar clearly. 

These were overdue changing and the bank of 4 closest to the firewall(the harder ones to get to) were Denso while the others were NGK so it wouldn't surprise me if they were original. Definitely worth changing though

IMG_20191109_091428121.thumb.jpg.666fef3e334269dc54047a25a0152b27.jpgIMG_20191109_093224129.thumb.jpg.c6acc2a35f2a3c3b14747ff3922d51c8.jpg

Next up was the egr. Popped this off and sure enough it was sticky. Cleaned it, got it moving and chucked it back on and reset the codes.

IMG_20191109_094738849.thumb.jpg.582ae14eaeb79f43b46f4bef89d56fc7.jpg

Next up was to pop off the wheels and check the brakes and suspension to make sure it was ready for winter. 

IMG_20191109_102013340.thumb.jpg.f31f397587e740b1faf80bd53bee235f.jpg

All discs and pads had plenty of meet and sliders were cleaned up-only one was sticky which must be a record for a Jap car in my ownership.

Tyres are pretty good with the fronts being a set of recent winters which is nice?

Underneath was as crusty as you'd expect from a 13 year old Honda that's lived in Scotland all its life. I didn't poke to far but the MOT history is decent.

This all done I stuck it back on its wheels and decided to treat it to a wash. 

First though, the bumper repair had to go. It's quite refreshing not caring to much about a car, see if you can spot the seamless* repair with some carbon fibre tape left over from the Civic Type R I had previouslyIMG_20191109_115645581.thumb.jpg.dcf33d1ee2c4de8f408c837fbce0c2af.jpg

And here she is in looking a bit more presentable

IMG_20191109_115819137.thumb.jpg.815c0f94e4955c4b425de461715012d4.jpgIMG_20191109_115829569.thumb.jpg.d9caa0379ffd8191bfd10ce0061fc8af.jpgIMG_20191109_115807869.thumb.jpg.975f45d094b920d9fd329eabae2eca10.jpg

I stuck a set of mats I had lying around into it along with a spare boot liner.

So, hopefully you won't hear much more of this little thing until I tackle the gearbox bearings. Maybe...