Domes shonky autos - Manta progress!

dome

1 hour ago, cort16 said:

Instant qualification for the b&q oap discount Tuesday if you rock up in one of these :)

interesting it’s twin spark and good on fuel every Rhonda I’ve known has been rubbish on petrol.

A boy in work has a B class Merc. I've told him not to park near me or the local fogeys will think there's a whist drive on. 

Economy wise I'll see how it goes over a tank or two and work out how badly the readout is lying to me. 

24 minutes ago, cort16 said:

are you going to change the box? any tartan rugs in the boot?

Ideally I'd buy a used box, rebuild it and swap it in saving having this thing clogging up my driveway in bits for too long. Then could rebuild the other box and sell it/buy another fucked jazz. We'll see. 

No tartan rugs, I will make sure i lie on one when I drop the box though

7 hours ago, Tayne said:

How much do you want for the Octavia and what’s wrong with it?

It's getting a new ESP sensor fitted and chucked in for an MOT so stay tuned. 

Safe to say it'll be the cheapest Octavia Scout out there with a new turbo and years ticket. 

It's on cambelt roulette but depending on the MOT results and how much I can be arsed I may attend to that before sale too.

Octavia update-whilst in Fraz's capable* hands it's had a new ESP sensor fitted-i thought it may need vcds to code it in but it didn't.

That done I headed over yesterday to finish mot prep-a broken front spring and low rear pads had been found.

Fraz volunteered his services as he's expendable changed all the suspension on his Octavia recently.

Turns out it's easiest to remove the strut with the hub due to the way the strut fits into the hub. I'd have still been outside mashing fuck out of it with a hammer trying to separate the two if I hadn't had his expert guidance.

One of the drop links had to be sacrificed to get the strut off so handily I got to bugger off for a coffee to GSF for a new one whilst he got the strut off and new coil fitted. 

IMG_20191116_124145176.thumb.jpg.a80a577f67f6d0656edbeb46b2b672e0.jpgIMG_20191116_124135283.thumb.jpg.d4dec8ab9bc045c7629e937d2fdc1f95.jpg

I returned in time to help refit it, eat a steak sandwich prepared by Fraz's maw and then do the rear pads?

It's had recent calipers on the back so this was thankfully pretty straightforward. 

We then changed a ball joint on Fraz's vRS which was fun. I helped by holding a light and offering supportive words when it went tits up. Mole grips helped and we got it done.

I'll get mine in for an MOT and hopefully have it up for sale by the end of the week.

I've ordered up gearbox bearings for the Jazz, still undecided whether to strip the box that's in it and rebuild it or buy a used box to rebuild at my leisure, meaning I can keep the Jazz on the road and not dead in my drive.

12 hours ago, Noel Tidybeard said:

throw a pollon filter in the jizz as they are a piece of piss- gotta be a -1 hbol spanner job

I threw the pollen filter out of the Jizz, does that count?

I'll need to address some leaks into the interior of it, there was ice on the inside of the window this morning!

6 hours ago, dome said:

I threw the pollen filter out of the Jizz, does that count?

I'll need to address some leaks into the interior of it, there was ice on the inside of the window this morning!

I "fixed" the leak on my friends Jazz (if by fix you mean add lots of tiger seal to the car without making any difference whatsoever)

16 minutes ago, twosmoke300 said:

Those jazzes had one bank of ngks and one bank of densos from the factory . I was told it was to keep both suppliers sweet in the event of a shortage from either 

So it's quite possible they're original? Wow.

15 minutes ago, twosmoke300 said:

Rear door membranes coming unstuck around the drain hole are a fave spot for jazz water leaks 

Mine seems to leak from the front doors but I'll likely do all 4. Someones tigersealed round the boot floor but apparently water gets in from around the tailgate hinges. Will have a prod. 

So, the Skoda has been up for sale for a couple of weeks with no bites. I may take the ad down and do the cambelt on it to make it more sellable. 

I decided while it was still here I'd start on the Jazz gearbox, surely a sure fire* way of attracting interest in the Skoda was to press it into daily service?

First things first, I had to feng shui the garage to fit the Jazz in. A combination of a small garage and too much shite meant this was challenging.

Eventually a suitable workspace was created

workspace2.thumb.jpg.cce64351e38b788d3e152cd9e3424e9d.jpg

workspace.thumb.jpg.66a93607bb57ab739bb460593c799302.jpg

The engine bay

start.thumb.jpg.b0876ef3dfa0d63fe5c8271de00f5995.jpg

Strip down begins

836498206_strippingdown.thumb.jpg.d468c13d6b921ba20183389fd2d1edfd.jpg

I'd managed to find a decent guide and it seemed fairly straightforward. Some folk say to remove the subframe, some not. I decided not to for the simple reason that less bolts to undo gave less chance of fucking things up.

For reference here's how I did it

Battery, tray and airbox off

Gear selector and all gubbins attached to the gearbox off

Both struts undone at the hub and drop links undone, then driveshafts removed. 

Exhaust downpipe undone

Engine supported and all 3 gearbox mounts undone leaving it hanging by the drivers side engine mount. This done clearance is tight but it's doable.

clearance.thumb.jpg.690f77e0422beb9dbe4a80a4acb2a6ba.jpg

Pulling the engine and box up and forward allows enough clearance to pull the box off. I struggled to separate the two as they had never been apart but eventually got there. Doing these things solo is great* fun.

out.thumb.jpg.cb06ce0b5faccd75d0f6ebcb4cc29e6e.jpg

I found a couple of great youtube guides on stripping the box and replacing the bearings. I could go into this with a bit more confidence having the MR2 diff swap under my belt. Linkage,  detent balls and reverse switch removed and then casing bolts undone.

There's a circlip in the casing that needs opened up to let the casing comes off, a pair of cicrclip pliers and a zip tie were employed

circlip.thumb.jpg.5d0c6f87eeff91ddb50968f1cf2a8225.jpg

And here she is

scary.thumb.jpg.e10a20e99309cd98a908d0fa11e58b2c.jpg

The bearing I need to replace is the input bearing, the one that is furthest from the camera in this pic. It's the one closest to the clutch.

To get to this you need to lift the gears out carefully.

gears.thumb.jpg.bb9836cd109dd4724c2deabdeede49fa.jpg

diff.thumb.jpg.6a00a8ea1617bf1028be7cb2beb60a1e.jpg

This revealed the source of the noise.

Aye, that'll be fucked then.

I removed the diff then drifted the bearing and oil seal out as a new one was included in the kit I'd bought. I then drifted the new seal and bearing in.

The gearbox has a magnet inside it to catch any stray swarf. Safe to say this one had earned its keep...

furry.thumb.jpg.4d7563bd5e1bc217fcc6d595e267c4e0.jpg

The kit I bought had the bearing for the opposite end of that shaft too. Mine wasn't too bad but I replaced it anyway.

I obviously cleaned the inside of the gearbox to remove all the stray metal. It wasn't too bad but a lot had came out with the gearbox oil.

That done, refitting it the reverse of removal...

The Circlip was a bit of a faff, I had to spread it far enough to allow the bearing to move up into the case

circlip2.thumb.jpg.e79aec03dac740ef1a02f8a02caaaaeb.jpg

Yesterday afternoon I cracked on and got it back together. It was the usual arse trying to lift a gearbox back in solo, at least the Jazz gearbox isn't the heaviest thing. 

Filled it up the the reverse switch hole, much easier than faffing about with the correct filler

fill.thumb.jpeg.1fd2ab7c030118d309f1514b0dbd268e.jpeg

Back together  last night and I thought I'd better test it.

Sounds, well, quiet. Result. Will finish off today and take it a road test. Hopefully though that's the noisy gearbox fixed for £30 and some gearbox oil :)