Domes shonky autos - Manta progress!

dome

You’re right about front springs, they are hateful things to change! I remember stripping a front axle on my bench, undoing the lower ball joint while I was stood behind the shed door at arms length. When it came free, the axle bounced off the table, something hit the door, something hit the roof, and something dribbled down my leg. 😂

2 minutes ago, sutty2006 said:

You’re right about front springs, they are hateful things to change! I remember stripping a front axle on my bench, undoing the lower ball joint while I was stood behind the shed door at arms length. When it came free, the axle bounced off the table, something hit the door, something hit the roof, and something dribbled down my leg. 😂

Hmm, I'll maybe relocate the subframe temporarily and undo the ball joint with the weight of the car on it.

Either that or send the grinder in through the coils before I strip it down. Bit brutal but it'll be getting new suspension anyway.

33 minutes ago, Honey Badger said:

Do you think you could shoehorn a 350z drive train into the manta, might be be more affordable than an S2000?

I'm sure you could but I'm set on the idea of a Manta that looks like and sounds like the original 400 road/rally car, so that's big capacity high revving 4 banger.

I think waiting til the end of the summer and sourcing a 2006 on (NC) 2.0 MX-5 is the way to go. It's the same as a Ford Duratec so has good aftermarket support. Further down the line I can upgrade it to a 2.5 for most rortyness

A wee bit more progress happened yesterday. Firstly, I removed the trim from the windscreen seals to store them. The screens will come out at some point, the screens will go into storage and the trims will get painted black before they go back on. 

I had a visit from @320touring who graciously offered to help with getting the engine and subframe out from under the car and into the garage.

Working on the driveway this was going to be pretty tight so an extra brain and set of hands was most helpful.

I had the rear of the car as high as possible to aid getting the engine out. With the engine crane being used to lift the front of the car it was necessary to pull the engine and subframe out to the side, but there wasn't a lot of space to play with.

Before lifting the shell with the crane here's where the engine sat.

52593210-83cc-4ee2-a3d3-a44fa5d094e3.thumb.jpg.771806822d6af1d8a2a2e14b62ea640f.jpg

Look a the concentration on my face, and this is before it got exciting!

4aead484-63e0-42ce-bf2b-fb629a4911ad.thumb.jpg.e19eb5f9121504dca5e704a711db2c5f.jpg

Up she goes. It was now necessary to spin the subframe round 90 degrees to fit the engine through the gap in the wheelarch

d1069689-8464-4439-a1bb-6ac9f39238f7.thumb.jpg.7b5bd7f133b608951f0027b59b57496d.jpg

b2d522f4-cb42-4f09-b837-e7a5cf9399cb.thumb.jpg.91b553d7085f08b05c5eaf086ee82393.jpg

It was slightly* nerve-wracking as the shell was wobbling around a bit as we started to try and maneuverer the subframe out. Surely a professional like me would have made sure he disconnected everything?

7a4d507b-fa8c-4f51-8e7a-5e954a4770fd.thumb.jpg.fe806a4a7160ff4a777a4392c004563c.jpg 

Oh. Yep, that's the fuel line...

Once chopped things went more smoothly. Engine was out and moved to the side of the driveway. 

5c067d5f-a732-4e93-ae91-281fa2322bd6.thumb.jpg.22854fe18a9d8656d1aad429fef48e0a.jpg

f145229d-640c-4f22-9f14-8a4e8e508c48.thumb.jpg.ab3d8528a593248be0b366b57318d9e1.jpg

Whew!

We lowered the shell back down onto axle stands at the front and refitted the rear wheels and dropped the back end back on to the ground. This meant we could push the car back a bit to allow us to wheel the subframe into the garage. 

511e05aa-1351-4563-9a60-44d492c66b5a.thumb.jpg.8b67e4bcb3ea7b85f5d2c6555915c0ea.jpg

Sorted! A quick clean up of all the crap underneath the car and it was lowered back down onto axle stands at the front.

Neil was rewarded with a shot of my Range Rover on the way back from the chippy. Feel free to send him links to L322s for sale now...

528e5ad3-9862-4727-91d8-751178bddaa3.jpg

• dome changed the title to Domes shonky autos-Manta Magic. Strip down continues-engine out!

It was a hoot to get up and be able to help on this.

Its an honest old tub and ideal for what @dome wants to do!

I've never really paid much attention to them previously, but upon close inspection, they do have some very cool styling, and I think it'll look amazing when done!

re the L322 I DONT WANT ONE 

(ok, maybe I do)

9 minutes ago, sutty2006 said:

Can you get a picture of the end of your clutch cable for me please? I’m not entirely sure how the end of the cable attaches to the pivot arm in the box..... thanks! Great work by the way!

Does this help?

IMG_20210520_181716.jpg

On 5/17/2021 at 6:27 PM, Barry Cade said:

image.png.ea3d56130671725db39a8322d1e2b9b7.png

That pic makes my eyes water.. many many years ago,3 cars up in Tam Muirs yard, I was in the back seat of a Manta, nose broken and blood all over my  Fido Dido T shirt.. 

That was before I learned when you are removing a steering wheel,  leave the nut on a few threads..

Oooya.

I watched the man across the road do the exact same thing on a Sierra about twenty years ago. I'd been having a fag out of my bedroom window so had a ringside seat as the debacle unfolded. The wheel took forever to loosen but when it did finally crack off he was pulling hard enough that I could see the vein in his neck, and he had one foot braced against the dash. Man, did the next bit all happen fast... 

52 minutes ago, Barry Cade said:

Manta/cavalier off?

3 laps of Kirkcaldy prom. 22.00 hours. 1 year from today.. 

Suitably dressed. Shell suit and sambas

Winner takes pinks 😆

It's funny you mention the shell suit, have you seen the video for the new electric Manta A they made?

There's some shell suits in there too...

Funny, to me growing up it was all about the wide arched rally cars blaring through the forest, it was much later when I became aware of how they were viewed on the continent. 

They made 2 feature films in Germany basically taking the piss out of Mantas and Manta owners

Manta Manta and Manta Der film, both shell suit heavy.

I'm definitely getting a (fake) foxtail for the aerial though!

56 minutes ago, juular said:

Bloody hell you are cracking on with this. Nice work!

Hardly, not touched it in over a week! 

Motivation has been a bit low with shite weather and work being a pain.

I've also been chasing cheap mx5s as I'd like to get the engine choice settled once and for all.

Your Volvo thread shows me what's possible though! Any tips for someone about to get into doing bodywork repairs outdoors?

1 hour ago, dome said:

It's funny you mention the shell suit, have you seen the video for the new electric Manta A they made?

There's some shell suits in there too...

Funny, to me growing up it was all about the wide arched rally cars blaring through the forest, it was much later when I became aware of how they were viewed on the continent. 

They made 2 feature films in Germany basically taking the piss out of Mantas and Manta owners

Manta Manta and Manta Der film, both shell suit heavy.

I'm definitely getting a (fake) foxtail for the aerial though!

I spent a lot of time in Germany in the 80s, so was party to the Manta scene at the time.  I remember being taken to see a BMW M1 in a 1.9 S/R , first time over 100 in a car, sideways whenever possible. 

Volker,  you were a nutter, and have a lot to answer for... I remember him being particularly proud of the little splitters that sat on top of the wings. 

The next year I went over, he had a CX GTi.. but thats another story..

• dome changed the title to Domes shonky autos-Live Collection...