Domes shonky autos - Manta progress!

dome

Here we go. First view

post-7629-0-57361300-1552082091_thumb.jpg

Yup, It's a Ford Exploder Explorer. XLT spec for maximum borkage comfort.

Registered 2001, 4.0 V6 on LPG

Here's the pics from the ad

post-7629-0-42999500-1552081619_thumb.jpg

post-7629-0-20123700-1552081629_thumb.jpg

post-7629-0-16440400-1552081641_thumb.jpg

MOT expired in November.  It had been replaced by the Grand Cherokee

Fluids the right colour and in the right places, no obvious signs of rust underneath.

It fired up and ran silently, however if another orange light came on on the dash we'd have Connect4.

I let him chauffeur me around and it felt pretty good. No worrying clunks despite it being a separate chassis with leaf springs on the rear.

I went home and did some homework. The price was cheap, but with the best will in the world it'll never be worth fortunes. 

I'd prefer another Grand Cherokee but none were around for what I wanted to spend.

I slept on it and messaged today saying I was still keen and the old chap offered to deliver for no charge. Said he was happy to see it go to a good home 

It'd be rude not to?

Fast forward to tonight and delivery was arranged. I get a call from his wife who had followed him down the road. In their 200000 mile Volvo 940 (?) with 6 dogs in it. I guide them to mine, they come in. Leaving 6 Spaniels in the car whilst mine chews on the old boy and his wife a bit in the house. Cash changes hands, some paperwork is handed over and I have a 20 year old 4x4 in my drive.

post-7629-0-51051500-1552081931_thumb.jpeg

Perfect for the winter. 

Oh fuck, it's Spring.

Battery disconnected and on to charge to reset the warning lights, tomorrow you and I will all get to look at it in daylight for the first time...

A bit off topic, but if you are serious about moving the A2 on, I still have need of a cheap shopping trolley. This would have to be very, very very etc cheap :-) and even then if you are not attached to it in any way because as soon as something semi serious goes wrong, it would not be fixed. A friend* has the lunatic idea of making a camper out of one, so it would probably go there to moulder for eternity be converted when it dies. PM me a price if you want a no hassle sale and an extra parking space!

Top shiting Dome! 

Just the sort of folk I'd like to buy a car off of. Old money, an old Volvo and loads of spaniels :-D

Anyone that own's a spaniel is inherently honest...don't ya know. :mrgreen:

Not that I'd EVER own a spaniel...my forum persona is purely about water naturally springing from the earth :-P  :-P

I'd like to type more but my nose seems to be growing and getting in the way....lol.

A bit off topic, but if you are serious about moving the A2 on, I still have need of a cheap shopping trolley. This would have to be very, very very etc cheap :-) and even then if you are not attached to it in any way because as soon as something semi serious goes wrong, it would not be fixed. A friend* has the lunatic idea of making a camper out of one, so it would probably go there to moulder for eternity be converted when it dies. PM me a price if you want a no hassle sale and an extra parking space!

Noted, it's on extended loan to 320touring at the minute who has first option to purchase. You have second refusal!

Always liked the explorers.... In fact i was looking at them as an alternative to the Discovery before one finally popped up!, a proper yank tank SUV and an interior made out of wheelie bin plastics. Terrible yet somehow fits it.

Though i do prefer the squarer pre facelift rear end that makes it look more outdated. In fact i was pretty close to buying one in Aberdeen in delicious lilac.

Think the issues with them aside from rust are timing chain guides?

Mates dad used to have one on LPG and said it was surprisingly "decent" on fuel anyway up and down the A90.

So, let's see what I've bought then shall we?

From my brief look over in the dark a few worries stood out from an MOT point of view

Airbag light

EML light

The air suspension warning light

Handbrake didn't work

Driver seat adjust not working

So, out this morning and here it is as delivered

post-7629-0-49874100-1552156932_thumb.jpg

post-7629-0-36192100-1552156945_thumb.jpg

A quick root about showed just how lovely* the interior was

post-7629-0-82683000-1552157061_thumb.jpg

post-7629-0-01417400-1552157046_thumb.jpg

The boot was quite something...

post-7629-0-68227100-1552157029_thumb.jpg

Anyway, that could wait. Before I reconnected the battery I checked a mutliplug in the engine bay which can cause issued. It seemed OK so I moved on to the fuseboxes and checked them all. Sure enough I found a couple blown, including the one for the power seats.

This done I connected the battery to read the codes off the Airbag light-it flashes a code on startup. This pointed to an under sea tconnector. A quick wiggle and it went out.

The suspension light comes on if you switch off the air suspension, there's a switch in the boot and sure enough it was off. I switched it on and fired it up to see what 

Yaas!

Next up was the handbrake. It's a disc in drum with the adjusters you can get to from the back and wind up to tighten. They are notoriously shit apparently on these

Up in the air-luckily I have a bottle jack from a sprinter so lifting this was no problem

post-7629-0-22462900-1552157803_thumb.jpg

I removed the caliper with a view to getting the disc off and cleaning things up but it was stuck solid.

I adjusted it up anyway and had a quick poke around. The dust covers on the air suspension were a bit rotten, I've cable tied some metal sheet round them for the meantime.

I also noticed a slight lack of exhaust...

post-7629-0-12427100-1552157838_thumb.jpg

This was a surprise as it wasn't overly noisy. It does sound good though...

I chopped it off just where it exits the centre box to tidy it up a bit-it's all supported so shouldn't be an issue for an MOT.

That was the extent of my MOT prep. Suppose I'd better clean the interior then...

There was no point in fucking about-the floor mats and boot carpet went straight in the bin. I then brushed it out and gave the dash a quick wipe. It'll get done properly if it's staying but that'll do for now. It is indeed the tombstone seats Cort was talking about

post-7629-0-33755000-1552158226_thumb.jpg

post-7629-0-46647100-1552158241_thumb.jpg

I do like this old heap, even though I've yet to drive it. However I'm not spending a penny on it til it's had an MOT-I'll get a fail sheet and then decide if it stays or not.  Stay tuned!

I popped round to my local MOT station this morning to book it in, thinking if I did it in person I might get  a test today. They had space so I dropped it off.

I explained I’d done no prep and left it at their mercy. I had no hopes of a pass but I didn’t know what I’d get, especially as ¼ mile to the test station was the first time I’d driven it!

So, here we are then

post-7629-0-35396000-1552324841_thumb.jpg

No major surprises there, although the brake bulbs worked on Saturday…

I also wasn’t sure how much exhaust I’d need to actually have-it finishes after the second box at the minute. I shall enquire about this

I’ll never grudge a car brakes and nothing else on there is too bad-new rear discs and pads ordered up for starters and I’ll have a prod under the front end when I pick it up tomorrow. 

Meanwhile, the MR2 hasn't built itself.

Out to the garage tonight and got the clutch fitted then fitted the box and starter. It needs torqued up and the driveshafts fitted then it can go in. Time is the biggest problem, especially now the clock is ticking with the Explorer retest.

I'm a glutton for punishment aren't I?0e9286ff4b97128da0223a0193ac364d.jpge505cb2974f2692253254139c3d1d16b.jpg806277ce7274b85b50c5220009a646c2.jpg

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

I spoke to my tester this morning re the Explorer and it all sounds pretty straightforward. 

It's getting discs and pads all round as the fronts are pretty worn too, a drop link at the front, a CV boot and a tailpipe added to the exhaust so it exits in front of the rear wheels. 

I think the CV boot could be a pain in the ass by the sounds of things, will need to have a proper look at how to do this.

Also I couldn't get the rear discs off it on Saturday, at least now I know they're getting replaced i can get medieval on them

Why are you putting bits of exhaust on, clearly the failure was the absence of a major leak of exhaust gases?

I chopped the exhaust off at the back of the centre box to make it tidier(but still ugly looking)

I can weld back on the section I cut off which went over the axle but angle it down to make a tailpipe of sorts which will be a bit more acceptable, both from an MOT point of view and for tidyness

But yes, there is a leak of gases from the front somewhere so I'll need to see how bad that is too. Tester reckoned it was patchable.