dome

Domes shonky autos-2ZZ MR2 First track day done, Exploder fettling.

1.6CL Golf that no longer smells of canine? :)

My thoughts were something more barge like/ruinous. I have no need for a third car so it may as well be something faintly ridiculous. Good logic eh?

My thoughts were something more barge like/ruinous. I have no need for a third car so it may as well be something faintly ridiculous. Good logic eh?

Achievement unlocked.

After a brief text conversation a meeting was arranged for this morning with a view to a swappage.

This was a rarity-a seemingly normal human being on Gumtree.

We exchanged keys and drove each others vehicles. Upon return we kept the keys we had been handed and completed the paperwork. I then proceeded home in somewhat more comfort than I had arrived in.

post-7629-0-79739900-1471171267_thumb.jpg

Rule 1 of Autoshite collection acheived.

post-7629-0-21021100-1471171746_thumb.jpg

It is a 3.0l manual with NO LEATHER! And slightly disappointingly, no cruise control. Initial impressions from the drive home-very quiet, engine pulls well but needs some revs on it before it really moves. Feels more like an American Ford (I imagine) than a Jag but I've only had XJ6s so the bar was set high.

Apparently genuine 64k and giffer owned. No obvious rattles.

Isuues I was told of

Heater controls don't blow hot-apparently a valve somewhere "easy to get at". Hmm

Other issues:

Drivers check strap broken

Both fobs dead-will try new batteries obv.

Scratch on front bumper

There appears to be giffer leds fitted.

Bit wiffy inside

And no doubt more to follow...

Dccv valve is the culprit.

It's located down below the o/s headlight.

Costs around £100 and isn't hard to change, just fiddly.

Grille looks ok.

Cheers for that. Mine should be the old 5 way valve. Was thinking about trying to ressurect mine to save forking out for a new one, not sure if that's possible or not. I shall consult google...

In other news, wafting has continued.

The CD changer seemed not to work, however functionality was restored by putting the CDs in the right way up...

Coolant was a bit low but not enough to set off the warning, have topped it up and will monitor things-expansion caps go on these apparently. Will also try giving it a bleed in case that is the cause of non functioning heater. 

I've ordered a drivers door check strap and a set of wiper blades.

The enzyme cleaner I bought for the Freelande has made the interior a bit more pelasant, I'll shampoo the seats at some point too.

I'm also getting the aircon regassed for cheaps at my tame garage-watch as winter sets in early... 

You should be able to pick up the heater valve for that for around 125, they really are a consumable part on them.  I'd forget about everything else though until you've fixed the leak.  Probably is the expansion tank, which instead of improving the quality, they changed its position to the front of the car in the model run to make it easier to change, same shit quality though.

I'm astonished that a manual, cloth, 3.0 ever existed though.  At least the company car guy who stretched his band could have ordered in death blue, not an impressive metallic.

I seriously wonder that with its upgraded grill, leaper and decent wheels it isn't currently (and ever more) at its peak value as a breaker?

You should be able to pick up the heater valve for that for around 125, they really are a consumable part on them. I'd forget about everything else though until you've fixed the leak. Probably is the expansion tank, which instead of improving the quality, they changed its position to the front of the car in the model run to make it easier to change, same shit quality though.

I'm astonished that a manual, cloth, 3.0 ever existed though. At least the company car guy who stretched his band could have ordered in death blue, not an impressive metallic.

I seriously wonder that with its upgraded grill, leaper and decent wheels it isn't currently (and ever more) at its peak value as a breaker?

I hear what you're saying about a breaker but this you are talking to the man who rescued a 2wd k series Freelander from the scrap yard.

The thought of breaking a 64k mile car in this condition with what seems to be no major rust underneath( I will check though) is heresy.

Took this thing mountain biking tonight. It felt wrong doing this.

post-7629-0-74507200-1471382350_thumb.jpg

Drove some back roads on the way home. Damn I actually like this car. More power and less grip than my BMW makes for fun on the twisty stuff and the softish suspension hangs on really well when pushed. Must. Not. Get. Attached

Anyone want to buy an e46 330d?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By clayts450
      With the recent addition of the 420 to the fleet it's high time I started a project thread devoted to all four Rovers.

I've done some half-hearted attempts in the past, then done a few updates on the News 24 as and when I remembered.

Today will be an intro to the fleet only with a little potted history about things wot I've done, and then I'll aim to be more blog-like in my approach to my skillful* fettling.

So without further ado, welcome to the fleet.

2004 Streetwise S - purchased May 2017

It was a toss up between this and a top spec K11 Micra, but this won the day. This car marked my return behind the wheel after almost 18 years and thus was a monumental step forward for me.

I'd given up driving mainly because public transport is so good in Nottingham but when my parents relocated to Newmarket from St Albans, the train journey to Suffolk was ridiculously long-winded and incorporated 55 minute waits at Cambridge to catch the connecting train to Newmarket, so enough was enough.

Purchased from a shady man in East Leake ('which car ?' when I rang up) who was dealing from his front garden, this Streetwise stole my heart from day one. Annoyingly I missed out on getting it for £250 when this guy bought it and flipped it, and span a tale of a part exchange in Manchester where his old car lot had been. I wanted to call bullshit, but the price was right, £420 exchanged hands, and this came home with me.

There were some issues, notably no horn nor rear fog lights (fucked Pektron BCU) but that aside, this car has wanted nothing other than consumables (tyres, exhaust, brake pads) and has never FTP (apart from user error - leaving the boot open and the dashcam on drained the battery on two occasions). The willing puppy and commutawagon, until recently this has always been my goto car, which I can always rely upon.

It will continue to serve as commutawagon, not least due to its petiteness which ensures parking is easy, and its miserly fuel sipping.

• By Zelandeth
      Well I've been meaning to sign up here in forever, but kept forgetting. Thanks to someone over on another forum I frequent poking me about it recently the subject was forced back into my very brief attention span for long enough to get me to act on the instruction.

I figure that my little varied fleet might bring you lot some amusement...

So...we've got:

1993 Lada Riva 1.5E Estate (now fuel injected, as I reckon the later cars should have been from the factory...).
      1989 Saab 900i Automatic.
      1987 Skoda 120LX 21st Anniversary Special Edition.
      1985 Sinclair C5.
      2009 Peugeot 107 Verve.

Now getting the photos together has taken me far longer than I'd expected...so you're gonna get a couple of photos of each car for now, and I'll come back with some more information tomorrow when I've got a bit more time...

Firstly...The Lada. Before anyone asks - in response to the single question I get asked about this car: No, it is not for sale. Took me 13 years and my father's inheritance to find the thing.

Yes, it's got the usual rusty wings...Hoping that will be resolved in the next couple of months.

Next, a proper old Saab. One of the very last 8 valve cars apparently, and all the better for it. I've driven two 16v autos and they were horrible - the auto box works sooooo much better with the torque curve of the 8 valve engine. Just wish it had an overdrive for motorway cruising...

Next up a *real* Skoda...back when they put the engine where it belongs, right out the back. In the best possible colour of course...eye-searingly bright orange.

Seat covers have been added since that photo was taken as it suffers from the usual rotting seat cloth problem that affects virtually all Estelles.

Then we have possibly the world's scruffiest Sinclair C5...

Realised when looking for this that I really need to get some more photos of the thing...I use it often enough after all! We have a dog who's half husky, so this is a really good way of getting him some exercise.

Finally - again, I really need to take more photos of - we have the little Pug 107.

Included for the sake of variety even if it's a bit mainstream! First (and probably to be the only) new car I've bought, and has been a cracking little motor and has asked for very little in return for putting up with nearly three years of Oxford-Milton Keynes commuter traffic, before finally escaping that fate when my housemate moved to a new job. Now it doesn't do many miles and is my default car for "when I've managed to break everything else."

I'll fill in some more details tomorrow - I warn you though that I do tend to ramble...

• By TheDoctor
      As you may have read in the 'Can we save this?' thread, the answer was 'Yes we can!'
      Someone on this forum who wishes to remain nameless, fronted the cash to rescue this little Mazda from certain doom at the hands of a banger racer. I've taken custody of the car, but will make sure they get their money back as soon as is physically possible.
      Perhaps once it's running right, I'll look at some sort of roffle to find it a new home and pay back what it owes me and them.

Although it had been sitting 5 years or so, it went through an MOT, so that's a good start.

Known faults.
      - Alternator is kaput. Shouldn't be too hard to find a refurbished one. Presume battery knackered too.
      - Wheel bearing grumbling. 
      - Running like crap. Will replace fuel and vacuum pipes and add fuel filter. Then perhaps a carb strip down and rebuild. Aisan 980 carb as far as i know, same as the Toyota was,
      - Flat tyre. 

It's currently sitting outside with a flat battery and no fuel, so that's not a good start!

As I have very little talent, time or money, and suggestions / help greatly appreciated.

These are the pictures I have so far - looks good but it's a lot more dull in real life...

• By dozeydustman
      Mrs Dustman has a dash cam she wants me to fit to her '99 frog face Corolla. It came with a hard wire kit as opposed to the usual fag lighter lead, so I might as well make a decent* job of it and hide the wiring completely. Trouble is I can't remember how I got the radio pod out when I fitted the DAB unit she now has. I've also got a few dash illumination bulbs to change so I might as well do it all in one hit while it's a sunny afternoon.

A bit of googling comes up with the US spec dash which appears to be different from the European model, or the 2002-on model. I seem to remember spudging out the dash vents to access some bolts/rivets.

Failing that, is there an easier place to get a switched live from (besides the radio) that doesn't involve destroying the car's interior?