New Waftoloon BROKEN

Jim Bell

Geartronic is a AW55 gearbox. Same as used in the Saab, Renault and others. 

The Saab 9-5 that I had, had this threads exact same problem and it feels very violent when it's warm. I changed the fluid and put some magic Lucas snake oil in it. It helped a lot but still wasn't perfect. 

Hooli bought it off me and put another 18k on it with the gearbox banging through gears when hot. It still did it on his tenure but apparently it got better over time. 

@95 quid Peugeot then won it on a roffle. Apparently lent to his mate on a long term loan. However it's now shown as scrap. 

Given that Hooli managed an extra 18k plus the guy I bought it off did many thousands of miles with it in this state, you can just live with it. Yes it feels awful and mechanically painful, but it does soldier on. That was on a 230k ish mile example too. 

A mate had the same think on a V70 T5. He remapped it to 280bhp with it banging into gear. Nearly two years and 13k later, he scrapped it. Not because the box failed but because the main seal of the engine was leaking a litre of oil every hundred miles or so. 

If the gearbox is working fine when you buy it, get the ATF changed out asap!

I purposefully avoided automatic cars when I was hunting for a V70 last month, and granted having now bought a manual one I don't have gearbox issues but I do have a host of other esoteric running quirks and cosmetic challenges. The moral of the story is that if it's  not one thing it's something else and that's the circle, the circle of chod.

Meanwhile, this thread was before my time. What ever happened to your old S80 @Jim Bell?

15 hours ago, Nyphur said:

My 9-5 Aero is now doing the exact same. I just drive it in either Winter or Sport mode and it seems to make it happier. I was planning on changing out the TCM and/or box solenoids but then some fucking bumbaclart reversed down the drivers side of the car and fucked off without leaving any details (they did leave a note saying "I hit your car, sorry ?") so I'm driving it into the ground now, whatevs.

Urrrrgh. That's bad wine gums man. 

Hopefully it's still got a few years of damaged but reliable service left in it yet. 

My blue laguna had a banging and occasionally flaring gearbox. It also had a hilarious habit of not moving the car backwards when in reverse and the car needed to reverse uphill... 

it had 130k on, I didn't touch the fluid as by that mileage without a change who knows what I would stir up. Gearbox still worked perfectly fine 7 months later when I scrapped the bastard for mostly a pretty poorly engine