My 1973 Cadillac, Huggy Bear

Have you checked the operation of the transmission neutral safety switch that prevents the car from being started when it is (or thinks it is) in gear?

It's worth checking the plastic/rubber bushes too that connect the  various parts of the transmission selector linkage/rods/cables between the transmisison and the in-car shifter, to make sure they are all present and correct and not soft, worn or missing. If they are missing or in a poor way,  there may be too much slop in the end-to-end mechanism to give the physical extent of movement required to activate the NSS when you go into Park or Neutral after stopping. You think you are in Park or Neutral and the shifter inside the car looks like it is, but heading towards the transmission end of things, the movement hasn't been enough to activate the NSS so the car thinks it is in gear and won't start.

Guess how I know this !

29 minutes ago, Mrs6C said:

Guess how I know this !

You spent ages adjusting it carefully.. the wrong way. Oh wait no that was me  🤦‍♂️

Tho my best was imperceptibly knocking my Xj's shifter from P thru N to D and  wondering why it wouldn't start at all. In fairness I'd just stripped the  interior out and was sitting on the front crossmeber 8 inches lower than normal.. contemplating why on earth I'd taken a shabby but entirely functional car to bits  and then immobilised it.🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, Mrs6C said:

Have you checked the operation of the transmission neutral safety switch that prevents the car from being started when it is (or thinks it is) in gear?

It's worth checking the plastic/rubber bushes too that connect the  various parts of the transmission selector linkage/rods/cables between the transmisison and the in-car shifter, to make sure they are all present and correct and not soft, worn or missing. If they are missing or in a poor way,  there may be too much slop in the end-to-end mechanism to give the physical extent of movement required to activate the NSS when you go into Park or Neutral after stopping. You think you are in Park or Neutral and the shifter inside the car looks like it is, but heading towards the transmission end of things, the movement hasn't been enough to activate the NSS so the car thinks it is in gear and won't start.

Guess how I know this !

That is actually a very good shout...

1 hour ago, Mrs6C said:

Guess how I know this !

Mrs6C knows this only too well as her Cadillac developed this fault. It would not restart for me at a Tesco petrol pump and then when I got help to push it clear it did. I know our transverse FWD car is completely different to yours but it must have something to do the same job.

There was even a kit available in the US that someone on here helped us find to fix it.

IMG_20190204_160453 broad.jpg

We had a similar problem with our Saab floppytop  not starting after a short stop. The advice given , if I remember correctly, was to throw cold water at the gearbox because a solenoid was overheating. We were in the queue for customs after driving off a ferry so it caused a certain amount of hilarity to those around us.

3 hours ago, Low Horatio gearbox said:

You spent ages adjusting it carefully.. the wrong way. Oh wait no that was me  🤦‍♂️

Tho my best was imperceptibly knocking my Xj's shifter from P thru N to D and  wondering why it wouldn't start at all. In fairness I'd just stripped the  interior out and was sitting on the front crossmeber 8 inches lower than normal.. contemplating why on earth I'd taken a shabby but entirely functional car to bits  and then immobilised it.🤷‍♂️

Nice name. Someone listens to Smith and Smith?

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/27/2020 at 7:37 PM, Mrs6C said:

Guess how I know this !

I had a word with my sparky this week.  He seems to think you could be on the right track there!  He said bring it round Monday or Tuesday, and if it doesn't start, he wants to come and see it intact, as-is-where-is.  So let's see what happens...

Went to Huggy this morning and... He started, no problem!  So after a little warm-up where he sits, I took him round to the sparky, John... who wasn't in.  I left him with the other mechanic who shares the premises and now I just have to wait for a phone call.

Well, the sparky couldn't make it do the same again, and it started fine when I went to collect.  I don't know, and neither does he.  Maybe I just need to use it more.

Actually, there's no maybe about it.  I know I need to use it more!  But, where can I go, and what can I do when I get there?  Bloody virus.  It's letting my car develop laid-up niggles much faster than I can deal with them, not forgetting the big issues that await the next owner.  Unless he's a banger racer...

Yay she runs. Yay* intermittent FTP, nothing like the will it/ wont it start now or at my destination to get home 😒

It may be worth checking your earths and electrical connections as ther has been previous  electrical gremlins. Definitely use it and it gets better  sadly we are all there currently.😢

It probably is just lack of use tbh Eddy, coupled with it being winter so damp old electrics starting to cause problems. I had it once in the Capri where I went out in it after winter lay-up, switched the heater fan on and it didn’t do anything, then a trail of smoke came out from behind the dash, then it started working fine! Just damp and dirty contacts I think!

Not much anyone can do at the moment sadly. None of mine have been used since about November. There’s just nowhere to go and nothing to do, I dont even think going for a drive around is allowed at the moment is it!? 
Things will change though, might be a few months but it will get there in the end.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I went to start Huggy this morning... nothing in the battery.  I wasn't really surprised tbh.  This was the first time in weeks I'd even tried.

In other news, I'm in a Cadillac group on Facebook.  One of the American members has been looking for some plastic clips that hold the interior trim in place... the same clips I need for Huggy.  Someone has suggested getting them 3D printed.  Now, don't we have someone here who can do 3D printing?  If so, could you please contact me?

13 hours ago, eddyramrod said:

I went to start Huggy this morning... nothing in the battery.  I wasn't really surprised tbh.  This was the first time in weeks I'd even tried.

In other news, I'm in a Cadillac group on Facebook.  One of the American members has been looking for some plastic clips that hold the interior trim in place... the same clips I need for Huggy.  Someone has suggested getting them 3D printed.  Now, don't we have someone here who can do 3D printing?  If so, could you please contact me?

If you have access to a 3D model of the part I can try.  Only have PLA filament available here but it may well be strong enough depending on what it's holding in place.

Just now, Zelandeth said:

If you have access to a 3D model of the part I can try.  Only have PLA filament available here but it may well be strong enough depending on what it's holding in place.

The originals are the thick end of 50 years old, so they are pretty brittle.  I'll see if I can salvage one to send you.