My 1973 Cadillac, Huggy Bear

eddyramrod

Bloody 'ell it were foggy yesterday.  Wasn't very nice driving the 25 or so miles each way to my mate's, where he shot that vid as I was leaving.  If I hadn't planned to have a couple of hours with him, and to take Huggy, I think I'd have stayed home.  This is the same bloke who followed me round Barrow in his 1978 Lincoln videoing the drive!  It's still around somewhere on YouTube, I'm sure.

• 2 months later...

On Saturday (and Sunday) I took Huggy to my local meets.  It was still too cold but at least it was dry.  Unfortunately on the way back home on Saturday (and nearly there!) the hood ornament made a break for freedom.  These are the bits I was able to collect from the roadside...

DSCN3524.thumb.JPG.75a1ec932b131a4cd6487b483c2fe5b3.JPG

As you can see, not enough to rebuild into a whole mascot.  Moral: don't trust the stupid pressed bowler-hat-shape nuts GM give you for such things.  I won't be replacing it; not only can I not afford to, but honestly?  Can you imagine trying to get one in this country?

Gutted.

22 minutes ago, eddyramrod said:

Can you imagine trying to get one in this country?

I'm sure these will be available s/h from the USA if not over here. They might also be available as a 3D printed item. If so, sprayed with bright gold / silver / chrome, they should look OK.

24 minutes ago, eddyramrod said:

On Saturday (and Sunday) I took Huggy to my local meets.  It was still too cold but at least it was dry.  Unfortunately on the way back home on Saturday (and nearly there!) the hood ornament made a break for freedom.  These are the bits I was able to collect from the roadside...

DSCN3524.thumb.JPG.75a1ec932b131a4cd6487b483c2fe5b3.JPG

As you can see, not enough to rebuild into a whole mascot.  Moral: don't trust the stupid pressed bowler-hat-shape nuts GM give you for such things.  I won't be replacing it; not only can I not afford to, but honestly?  Can you imagine trying to get one in this country?

Gutted.

Later ones are different.

P1260927 broad.jpg

Knowing the US classic car industry, you are far more likely to get a repro one at a reasonable price than a second hand item - assuming Cadillacs are as well supported as Chevys and Fords.

I wonder when the safety lobby insisted hood motifs moved rather than snapped - thus leaving a permanent memento on a hapless pedestrian’s chest?

The 1990s one in 6 cylinder’s pic looks like it’s attached to a little ball or similar, a bit like the Mercedes star. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

1 hour ago, Schaefft said:

I don't wanna be the bearer of bad news but that will probably be the final end of it. Naturally completely incorrectly advertised.

Product photo of 1983 Cadillac Eldorado

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2767012770099316/?hoisted=false&ref=search&referral_code=null&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp%3Ad33a8a4d-9a77-44c1-b8ce-e42ea77a3e88

makes me genuinely a bit sad to such an AS Icon has succumb at long last

RIP Huggy Bear, you big old barge of brown!

I almost feel a bit bad for not doing something to save it, granted I dont know what I could have done, but I know how it meant to @eddyramrod and just that it was always one of "the" Autoshite cars, so I still feel bad!

(is it wrong that initially I got a bit excited it had landed at the FoD, with @Six-cylinder or @Mrs6C having finally lost it completely? :) )  

@BorniteIdentity The Sierra is still all good right? just checking in on the other ravens of Autoshite LOL

1 hour ago, LightBulbFun said:

makes me genuinely a bit sad to such an AS Icon has succumb at long last

RIP Huggy Bear, you big old barge of brown!

I almost feel a bit bad for not doing something to save it, granted I dont know what I could have done, but I know how it meant to @eddyramrod and just that it was always one of "the" Autoshite cars, so I still feel bad!

(is it wrong that initially I got a bit excited it had landed at the FoD, with @Six-cylinder or @Mrs6C having finally lost it completely? :) )  

@BorniteIdentity The Sierra is still all good right? just checking in on the other ravens of Autoshite LOL

Don't feel bad.  Even I know it was inevitable, I just didn't expect it to happen so soon.  I see the brake discs have been sold off; they weren't very old, so if someone is going to get some use out of them, great.  The tyres are/were all good too, and he says the engine can be heard running.  Someone will get good life out of that.  

I was shocked when @HMC told me about the rot in the chassis, which I knew nothing about, but then, I hadn't walked around under a lift for something like five years, and when I did, it all looked lovely.

Sad as it is to see Huggy like this, we can't complain.  We've all had six years' entertainment out of him.  He certainly did his job.  RIP brave soldier!

I feel like its a bit of a shame. I don't know what condition the car was in when it came over here, and I honestly haven't followed the thread to see whether it was driven in winter or not (EDIT: Now did, no further questions). Cars like these need regular attention though, and ideally wouldnt be exposed to the elements more than absolutely necessary. Otherwise they'll inevitably end up like above. From what I could tell in the last for sale thread it was unsavable at that point.

Personally the '72 MY Cadillacs specifically recently cought my eye, I wouldn't mind owning a clean 4-door at some point!

Well done to Eddy for giving Huggy a good life where he got used regularly, for as long as he did. I'm sure the V8 engine will live on. It's not easy keeping an unusual vehicle on the road in regular use, certainly not one as big and thirsty as that. Saddest thing to me, is a vehicle abandoned, slowly going back to nature, that the owner is convinced he'll "get round to doing up one day, cos they're worth a lot of money, you know." 

16 minutes ago, junkyarddog said:

Maybe you should ask to see him when it's ready for it's final journey around the oval?

Final closure of the life of Huggy?

There is merit in the suggestion, but it won't be me doing the sendoff.  I've already said my goodbyes.

Normally zero sentiment from me when it comes to breaking up/weighing in cars but I've always a soft spot for 60's/70's stuff, I can't help but think it's a shame it's managed to survive 50-60 years on this earth just to end up getting fragged. Having said that, if the shell is rotting away then at least the useful parts from it can be used to keep others going

Sorry to see this. Weird how we get attached to these lumps of metal.
I think the fact huggy we live on by keeping other cars is some sort of comfort. I found that when my jag bit the dust in a crash.
You have to be reasonable with these things and you really can't save them all. RIP huggy but also long live huggy.