My 1973 Cadillac, Huggy Bear

eddyramrod

Yep, car boot totally achieved! :)

906764267_DC019.thumb.jpg.b3ed37e4b6180632f3b26a1802e436dd.jpg

I mean, seriously....

409267884_DC018.thumb.jpg.38623a485e6531e3c57d22f5ff0f5698.jpg

Paul had come laden with gifts too...

1099610093_DC020.thumb.jpg.64bc2120a464fd98ce01fa818a27f038.jpg

Yes, a 1/18 Bluesmobile!  I've been chasing these all over ebay for years, and now I've got one!  Dog with two tails, etc...

495434394_DC022.thumb.jpg.e6ce86e1980f8d561eb4ef9b1e8c199c.jpg

...Along with some small stuff, in remarkably good condition considering they're all at least 35 years old.

636099280_DC021.thumb.jpg.4c9af1823c60fb4c7aeca7a89af1d92c.jpg

And a book by our friend @motorpunk .  I'm looking forward to that!

So then we had a lap of the boot sale; not a whole lot in the way of diecasts, although we did find the odd rummage box.

1109272187_DC023.thumb.jpg.3b654002c9d9e4e47da9423a0004a523.jpg

I've only ever seen small-scale 7-series Volvos in saloon form, but the 7 and 9 I owned were both estates.  I picked up the Humvee as a roof donor, so we will see how the conversion to estate goes.  If it's a success I'll got for another and make my 9-series.

Oh and... was anything ever more misnamed?

683253950_DC017.thumb.jpg.fb2a1e3736a9b12206fdeae9af517f8f.jpg

@paulplom it was a joy to meet you.  Thank you so much for coming over, and even more for bringing the unexpected gifts!  I'm just sorry the event you came for was cancelled.

Nice to meet you too @eddyramrod. I had a much better drive back. The sun got out once I was off the m6. I had to pull over and take my coat off. 20200913_120022.thumb.jpg.ef4b96e91625714abe993509b23f3ace.jpgQuite a size difference considering their noses were level. 

I'm not sure you can get two cars so different in every way.

Bluesmobile has now found a space in my "Film and TV" cabinet; displacing my Bandit 79 Trans Am which needs a little remedial attention.  This is not the cabinet I've shown before, this is just for 1/18 scale cars and it's full.  Full as in, there are 8 shelves, each with space for one of these models without looking crowded, and I now have 9 cars to put in it!  No two cars relate to the same film so they are not natural bedfellows.  Hm, this could be interesting...

I was a bit worried about Huggy yesterday.  Especially on the way home, he didn't feel as smooth as usual.  I will have to be alert over the next few trips, see if I can work out why.  So far I haven't been able to pinpoint anything.  Mind, when the next trip might be is anybody's guess!

• 2 weeks later...
22 hours ago, garbaldy said:

In Berwick yesterday being driven by a trio of hashy presenters,  

Makes me want a yank even more now.

Oh-oh, that doesn't sound promising.  Every one of those is gorgeous!  I wonder why they didn't come for Huggy?  I mean, he's only £6k to them, that's nothing in their budget.....

3 hours ago, eddyramrod said:

Oh-oh, that doesn't sound promising.  Every one of those is gorgeous!  I wonder why they didn't come for Huggy?  I mean, he's only £6k to them, that's nothing in their budget.....

I also saw a 7.5 ton flat bed drive past our house with what looked a like a beige marina on its back, said car looked like it had been ratchet strapped through the middle as it was like a banana.

At a guess I would say something heavy was dropped on it.

• 2 months later...
On 9/13/2020 at 2:22 PM, eddyramrod said:

Yep, car boot totally achieved! :)

906764267_DC019.thumb.jpg.b3ed37e4b6180632f3b26a1802e436dd.jpg

I mean, seriously....

409267884_DC018.thumb.jpg.38623a485e6531e3c57d22f5ff0f5698.jpg

Paul had come laden with gifts too...

1099610093_DC020.thumb.jpg.64bc2120a464fd98ce01fa818a27f038.jpg

Yes, a 1/18 Bluesmobile!  I've been chasing these all over ebay for years, and now I've got one!  Dog with two tails, etc...

495434394_DC022.thumb.jpg.e6ce86e1980f8d561eb4ef9b1e8c199c.jpg

...Along with some small stuff, in remarkably good condition considering they're all at least 35 years old.

636099280_DC021.thumb.jpg.4c9af1823c60fb4c7aeca7a89af1d92c.jpg

And a book by our friend @motorpunk .  I'm looking forward to that!

So then we had a lap of the boot sale; not a whole lot in the way of diecasts, although we did find the odd rummage box.

1109272187_DC023.thumb.jpg.3b654002c9d9e4e47da9423a0004a523.jpg

I've only ever seen small-scale 7-series Volvos in saloon form, but the 7 and 9 I owned were both estates.  I picked up the Humvee as a roof donor, so we will see how the conversion to estate goes.  If it's a success I'll got for another and make my 9-series.

Oh and... was anything ever more misnamed?

683253950_DC017.thumb.jpg.fb2a1e3736a9b12206fdeae9af517f8f.jpg

@paulplom it was a joy to meet you.  Thank you so much for coming over, and even more for bringing the unexpected gifts!  I'm just sorry the event you came for was cancelled.

Seriously?  Last time Huggy went out was the middle of September?  That's a disgrace, I should be ashamed of myself.  Well I am.  Poor car, it deserves better.

1 hour ago, brownnova said:

A Christmas Day run for Huggy seems like an ideal plan then... 

Weather permitting, yes; no point in going outside if it's nasty though.  If today had been as sunny as yesterday I would have been out this afternoon, even just Ulverston and back would have got some warmth in the systems.

Yesterday I impressed myself, or at least Huggy did.  He was parked tight up against my backyard wall and I needed to scrape ice off the windscreen, so I used the front bumper as a step to get up on the bonnet.  I then walked along the join of bonnet and wing so I could clear the windscreen.  Neither bonnet nor wing felt less than rock-solid at any point!

There's much more to tell you but I haven't uploaded the pics yet.

OK, I've uploaded the photos now, so what really happened on Christmas Eve?

Well it was a lovely day, so I thought I'd take advantage and have an hour or so out with Huggy.  I knew petrol was low and planned a fuel stop in Ulverston.  Ulverston and back is in the region of 20 miles, so even with a stop it's a fair enough run for the car.  I've already described my windscreen-clearing fun; after that I did a check of fluid levels, then went to start it up.  Third turn of the key, so that was good enough.  I grabbed my coat and set off.

Getting to Ulverston was fine, although with the needle hovering around Empty I was beginning to twitch a bit by the time I reached the Shell station.  £40 in the tank soon sorted that.

Then I turned the key.  Lights lit up on the dash, but after that... not a sausage.  I fiddled around for a few minutes hoping it was just a loose connection, but nothing changed.  I was forced to call my insurance for recovery.

1051029383_DC004.thumb.jpg.2f7b904e32b2b55bcff55be6b0859e3d.jpg

The pez shot nobody wants!  Insurance sent an AA van.  The mechanic tried a few tests, checked out the connections and pronounced them fine, and eventually diagnosed the starter solenoid, which was new with the starter three years ago or thereabouts.  With no further action when I turned the key, time after time, he was left with the only option available: a recovery truck.

723644273_DC005.thumb.jpg.821968a4097e4dc9bccd59e5f1734a2b.jpg

This time it was a local contractor who came out.  He took me and the car home.  After unloading, he suggested I give the key one last turn; wouldn't you know it, Huggy turned over and started.  I'm beginning to think this car doesn't like me.

So, that was over four hours of Christmas Eve that I won't get back, when I only planned to be out an hour.  Wonderful.  If we get some nice weather in the New Year I'll try and get the starter off and slip it round to my local sparky.

This doesn't use the same sort of sliding switch arrangement for the ignition/starter switch as Fords from the same era does it?  Know they're a common source of trouble on cars which don't see regular use.

They have a rod attached to the key barrel and the switch is actually buried further back along the steering column, usually on the top.

1 hour ago, Zelandeth said:

This doesn't use the same sort of sliding switch arrangement for the ignition/starter switch as Fords from the same era does it?  Know they're a common source of trouble on cars which don't see regular use.

They have a rod attached to the key barrel and the switch is actually buried further back along the steering column, usually on the top.

I don't know, is the short answer.  I think it's unlikely, simply because Cadillac is made by General Motors, Ford's deadly rival.  But I can also see them both buying from the same source back in the 70s.  I would have to do some digging to find out.

Have you checked the operation of the transmission neutral safety switch that prevents the car from being started when it is (or thinks it is) in gear?

It's worth checking the plastic/rubber bushes too that connect the  various parts of the transmission selector linkage/rods/cables between the transmisison and the in-car shifter, to make sure they are all present and correct and not soft, worn or missing. If they are missing or in a poor way,  there may be too much slop in the end-to-end mechanism to give the physical extent of movement required to activate the NSS when you go into Park or Neutral after stopping. You think you are in Park or Neutral and the shifter inside the car looks like it is, but heading towards the transmission end of things, the movement hasn't been enough to activate the NSS so the car thinks it is in gear and won't start.

Guess how I know this !

29 minutes ago, Mrs6C said:

Guess how I know this !

You spent ages adjusting it carefully.. the wrong way. Oh wait no that was me  🤦‍♂️

Tho my best was imperceptibly knocking my Xj's shifter from P thru N to D and  wondering why it wouldn't start at all. In fairness I'd just stripped the  interior out and was sitting on the front crossmeber 8 inches lower than normal.. contemplating why on earth I'd taken a shabby but entirely functional car to bits  and then immobilised it.🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, Mrs6C said:

Have you checked the operation of the transmission neutral safety switch that prevents the car from being started when it is (or thinks it is) in gear?

It's worth checking the plastic/rubber bushes too that connect the  various parts of the transmission selector linkage/rods/cables between the transmisison and the in-car shifter, to make sure they are all present and correct and not soft, worn or missing. If they are missing or in a poor way,  there may be too much slop in the end-to-end mechanism to give the physical extent of movement required to activate the NSS when you go into Park or Neutral after stopping. You think you are in Park or Neutral and the shifter inside the car looks like it is, but heading towards the transmission end of things, the movement hasn't been enough to activate the NSS so the car thinks it is in gear and won't start.

Guess how I know this !

That is actually a very good shout...