My 1973 Cadillac, Huggy Bear

eddyramrod

That might be a sensible approach, yes.... but this is Autoshite!  Once I've finished what I'm doing and had the brakes fixed, I'm probably done with bodywork for a while.  I know this car is so bubbly it makes Champagne look flat.  I kind of expect it.  It's nearly 50 years old!  I really don't need to dig to see it's rusty.  The only reason I did start digging on the rear apron was because the old repair was breaking up and there were visible holes.  The front wing was a surprise addition, but I've been at it today and it's not as bad as it might have been.  Once I've dealt with that, it'll be a good few years before it falls off again!

I would say you need to poke around to make sure it's safe. I'd be concerned more about suspension mounting points than anything else.

I really didn't want to investigate the rust on my Corsa but I'm so glad I did. The front lower arm mounting point was holed and I reckon a few more years would see it break off the chassis rail.

I then had nothing to lose and went around the rest of it and gave it a thorough stabby corrosion assessment, and was actually pleasantly surprised. Now I know what I'm dealing with which is one concerning bit, and 2 others which just need a small patch at each rear spring seat.

Anyway, when you know, you know.

It's got the original engine and transmission so generally that'll have been liberally coating underneath in rust prevention agents over the years.

Like mine, the bits where water sits rusted through, the rest is solid and the chassis looks like it was made last week.

Phil

Unloved Yank tin aplenty, round these parts anyway...

IMG_20160619_210237.thumb.jpg.920438ca317825a311d81fcd1d69dd13.jpg

IMG_20160619_210245.thumb.jpg.719352e8303234ae848d2dd50e22aba0.jpg

20190427_185401.thumb.jpg.77a79b2167057f01ac4498d1105b1354.jpg

Well... maybe not aplenty, but there are some out there which will doubtless provide hours of misery entertainment without all that faffing around with import taxes.

I just found out the other day that someone I know has a 1972 Chevrolet Chevelle drop-top in their garage, parked up for 20 years... it's pink...

5 hours ago, stripped fred said:

I now want an American car. How do I get on Craigslist..?

Screenshot_20200716-220627.png

@stripped fred This is my ‘local’:

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org

But this covers most of the US depending on what you put in:
https://www.searchtempest.com
My zip code (Midwest of the US) is 55364 if you want it as a valid zip code starting point. 

I hope it brings you as many happy hours of enjoyment that this and a Craigslist App has brought me!

I just followed that Craigslist link.  I searched for 8 cylinder automatics, 1949-90; no other refinements.  There's some nice stuff around the $3000 mark, but it's then going to cost you that to get it here, and you don't get to inspect it until it arrives.  Danthecapriman and Joloke both got bitten by that when importing theirs; Jo's Mustang still isn't on the road.  Buying over here, you do at least get that chance.  I didn't do it with Huggy; 200 miles each way would be a bit much (for me) just to inspect a car.  I took a chance and while I've had jobs to do, the only one that was expensive was the front brakes, at £400 including labour.  What I'm doing now should have been done when the previous filler-work was done, then I wouldn't have to be doing what I'm doing for some years yet.

But, those of you who are saying you'd like one: do it!  Even a cheap ratty one is so much better than anything built on any other continent.  Maybe not for build quality, ok, but there's nothing to touch them for character.  They also tend to be very well equipped, especially at the top of the range (Cadillac, Lincoln, Imperial).  One thing I will say: get the oldest running car you can find within your budget.  Older tends to be simpler for DIY repairs!  Oh and join a club, such as the American Auto Club North West, which is Manchester-based.