Jump to content
eddyramrod

1973 Cadillac: period correct repairs

Recommended Posts

For those looking for similar levels of Americana-ism, I’m strongly trying to resist buying this...

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/d/santa-rosa-chrysler-new-yorker-1965/7158882066.html
If it was within a 500 mile radius of me, it wouldn’t still be for sale. 2000 miles is a bit far, even for me!

E5C866DD-A4E3-4416-ADCB-5FF9B0B16C30.jpeg.68bb9b3b9a7203c479a580eae4cedf1a.jpeg

Its just a long weekend ride right?...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, today I got Huggy back from the garage.  They haven't put the new wheel cylinders on; they managed to free off the nipples that are already there.  The bill still came to just over £150, and remember I bought the new cylinders independently!  So I went for a celebratory drive.  Everybody else seemed to have the same idea, unfortunately, and not one of them wanted to go over 40 even where it was legal.  Worse: they were all driving diesels, and I couldn't stay far enough back that I wouldn't be constantly inhaling their exhaust.  How lovely.*  So I stopped to take a photo...

1978512836_DC087.thumb.jpg.f1c8d750ddab320b5072ee62bd11e0b5.jpg

If anyone knows the Barrow area, have a guess where I was!  You might win a random diecast!

So, I got home and set about primering the work I've done.  This is what it looks like now...

421868883_DC088.thumb.jpg.cc406bf7a5ed86f40362f4f886d82875.jpg

155011569_DC089.thumb.jpg.72b04a5b7eeb3a151c90282062389fe3.jpg

I was a bit close to my wall to shoot the front wing but you get the idea.  It now looks like the trunk does.

Oh boy it was nice to drive Huggy again on the (sort-of) open road.  I've got more work to do but I'm going to have a little break.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, TrabbieRonnie said:

Big well done there, Mr Ramrod...

Amazing looking machine out in the open...  I am also up to my neck in rust-busting, keep fighting the good fight!

Wot e said!

Looks great Eddy, so glad to see the car out and about again. It’s a lovely old thing to look at.

You want to put those 7.7 litres to use a burn off those dawdling peasants in their diesel euro blobs!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dan, I'd love to, but the roads around here are inadequate enough without attempting BTCC moves in a Cadillac!  I quite like the primer patches.  It'll never be in the same league as your Mercury, or even Volvo,  but I think it should get to 50 years old now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like a fairly decent bit of bodging does that. Good man. 

When I saw it at Lakeland the rust at the back was triggering a Chief Inspector Dreyfuss reflex in me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, eddyramrod said:

 

1978512836_DC087.thumb.jpg.f1c8d750ddab320b5072ee62bd11e0b5.jpg

If anyone knows the Barrow area, have a guess where I was!  You might win a random diecast!

 

Its on the way to Roa island isn't it? Rampside?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, eddyramrod said:

@Jazoli let me have your address and I'll send you a prize.

I'm really pleased with that photo actually.  If Huggy was painted and wearing all his trim that isn't shown, it could almost be a brochure shot, I think.

Thanks Eddie but there's no need, send it to someone else who may want it, I don't want anything else I have to bloody dust! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29/07/2020 at 00:45, Roobarb said:

For those looking for similar levels of Americana-ism, I’m strongly trying to resist buying this...

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/d/santa-rosa-chrysler-new-yorker-1965/7158882066.html
If it was within a 500 mile radius of me, it wouldn’t still be for sale. 2000 miles is a bit far, even for me!

E5C866DD-A4E3-4416-ADCB-5FF9B0B16C30.jpeg.68bb9b3b9a7203c479a580eae4cedf1a.jpeg

Its just a long weekend ride right?...

That’s listed as mid size??? What would large or extra large be? 2000 miles is just a nice long weekend drive. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JeeExEll said:

Looks perfect just as it is. Fantastic. You are very lucky for this to be part of your life. Do not sell.

You're right, I am.  I have, I admit, had a bit of a wobble since my surgery, when I lost faith in myself to keep a car like this going, but that faith is now restored, more or less, so I feel able to carry on.  Huggy is now 47 and I plan to see his 50th birthday, which will make him the oldest car I've ever had, and at 7 years, the one I've owned longest. 

I'm only about 70% convinced about the primer.  Part of me would like to get some Laredo Tan mixed, and thanks to those of you who posted up the recipe!  Another part of me would quite like to just keep buying cans of Ford Tibetan Gold and slowly paint the whole car in that.  But it's extremely likely that I'll do neither, and just leave the red patches.  Anyone can do a beautiful restoration, right?  All it takes is time, money, skills and facilities.  Well the only one of those I have is time.  I do happen to believe that there's a place for the more ramshackle cars, especially in the film world, so maybe Huggy can still make me some money!  He's registered with an agency...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, eddyramrod said:

You're right, I am.  I have, I admit, had a bit of a wobble since my surgery, when I lost faith in myself to keep a car like this going, but that faith is now restored, more or less, so I feel able to carry on.  Huggy is now 47 and I plan to see his 50th birthday, which will make him the oldest car I've ever had, and at 7 years, the one I've owned longest. 

I'm only about 70% convinced about the primer.  Part of me would like to get some Laredo Tan mixed, and thanks to those of you who posted up the recipe!  Another part of me would quite like to just keep buying cans of Ford Tibetan Gold and slowly paint the whole car in that.  But it's extremely likely that I'll do neither, and just leave the red patches.  Anyone can do a beautiful restoration, right?  All it takes is time, money, skills and facilities.  Well the only one of those I have is time.  I do happen to believe that there's a place for the more ramshackle cars, especially in the film world, so maybe Huggy can still make me some money!  He's registered with an agency...

My first car was a 2.0GL Capri in Tibetan gold, it’s a little known fact that it gives off pheromones that are totally irresistible to the opposite sex and even your own sex will see you as a true god if you paint it in that colour which definitely isn’t metallic brown but the rarest of gold, the Tibetan sort.......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Tamworthbay said:

My first car was a 2.0GL Capri in Tibetan gold, it’s a little known fact that it gives off pheromones that are totally irresistible to the opposite sex and even your own sex will see you as a true god if you paint it in that colour which definitely isn’t metallic brown but the rarest of gold, the Tibetan sort.......

So that’s where I’ve been going wrong all these years! Ive been picking the wrong fucking colour!😣

 

38 minutes ago, Tamworthbay said:

I think an A40 is probably the better learner car to be honest. Much as I love capris I am not sure they are an ideal first car but I learnt sooooo much about car control (and mechanics) from that car.

That’s pretty much what mine ended up used for. I’ve always loved them, but the initial point of having it was to learn about cars and mechanics. They’re so simple they make a good choice if you want to learn the basics. Then it taught me how to drive! Who knew I’d still have it (at enormous expense!) two decades later!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, danthecapriman said:

So that’s where I’ve been going wrong all these years! Ive been picking the wrong fucking colour!😣

 

That’s pretty much what mine ended up used for. I’ve always loved them, but the initial point of having it was to learn about cars and mechanics. They’re so simple they make a good choice if you want to learn the basics. Then it taught me how to drive! Who knew I’d still have it (at enormous expense!) two decades later!

Rattle can yours in Tibetan gold and you will need a six foot long shitty stick to beat them off with, it’s a fact (possibly).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, danthecapriman said:

I’ll go get the scotchbrite...

God, you imagine!!

I would have nightmares If I thought you would do it for real! I still want another Tibetan gold one though. My perfect one lives a few miles away - a 3.0s in Tibetan Gold on a W plate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Tamworthbay said:

I would have nightmares If I thought you would do it for real! I still want another Tibetan gold one though. My perfect one lives a few miles away - a 3.0s in Tibetan Gold on a W plate.

Sleep easy, there’s absolutely no chance whatsoever I’d do that! Even joking about it hurts!

 

sorry for the thread drift Eddy!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, danthecapriman said:

Sleep easy, there’s absolutely no chance whatsoever I’d do that! Even joking about it hurts!

 

sorry for the thread drift Eddy!!

Don’t worry, Eddy is looking up bulk buy Tibetan Gold and dating apps as we speak........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...