240v polishing

BorniteIdentity

Whilst the Base Spec Sierra continues to lower the tone of my entire village, I'm looking to keep my green Sierra at the top of its game.

It's had a couple of good washes thrown at it with some wax and a bit of T-Cut, and there's definitely hope and progress in equal measure.  I thought I'd have a go at G3, but by the looks of things it's utterly pointless without something electric to buff with.

Mentioning this to my FIL who I'm not sure has ever thrown anything away ever - he gave me his drill attachment and a couple of lambswool pads.  I've had a little play this morning, and I'm not sure that progress was much better than what I could have done by hand.  (This might just be my fear of burning through the pad, the paint, the metal and the whole car.

SO:

1.  For a DIY Klutz like me - what's the most suitable?  Drill with a new attachment or a New Random Orbit polisher?

2.  If I'm going new on eiher of the above, what would you point me towards

3. Being tight, has anyone got anything for sale.

Ta

Use plenty of water with G3, helps keep it cool. You can use it by hand, it's just more effort.

Random orbit polisher more preferable than a drill.

I'd also recommend masking stuff up, it'll get flung everywhere and then your next post will be "what's good for getting G3 stains out of plastics"

I bought this sort of thing from the 'bay....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Electric-Sander-Polisher-Car-Body-Buffer-Machine-and-150mm-Polishing-Sanding-Kit-/321955071123?hash=item4af6048493:g:PYkAAOSwNyFWd~tn

It came with a big pile of sponge and wool pads and stuff. No instructions or anything so half an hour listening to boring Muricans on youtube taught me the basic techniques.

Works for me. probably a long way from professional, but it does what I need.

I have got a cheap polisher off eBay that looks like a big angle grinder. I wouldn't bother with a mop in a drill, the load factor on the motor and side loading on the bearings will chin it in no time, plus you do need some sort of speed control. I think mine was only about £40 or so and it is bloody magic when I need it.

For idiot proof polishing use a DA and don't use G3 it's a bit old school and horrifically messy. Can get a brand new da for about £70 I think so should be able to pick a second hand one up for £50. If our anywhere near me you can borrow mine.