Jalopy Magazine,what are they worth?

155V6

• 1 year later...

It may have slipped under the radar in these quarters, but Mark Williams, the man behind Jalopy and 'the only man to crash a Maserati in Radnorshire' has recently launched a new quarterly magazine which is a sort of almanac of newly comissined and previously published long-form articles with no photos in paperback boo format. It's supposedly a return to the good old days of long-form motoring writing, and I enjoyed reading it. It does have some shite content too, but the best article is Cropley on the Lambo Jarama. Anyway, you can get it here if you're interested

https://shop.classicmotoringreview.uk

It may have slipped under the radar in these quarters, but Mark Williams, the man behind Jalopy and 'the only man to crash a Maserati in Radnorshire' has recently launched a new quarterly magazine which is a sort of almanac of newly comissined and previously published long-form articles with no photos in paperback boo format. It's supposedly a return to the good old days of long-form motoring writing, and I enjoyed reading it. It does have some shite content too, but the best article is Cropley on the Lambo Jarama. Anyway, you can get it here if you're interested

https://shop.classicmotoringreview.uk

I’m giving that a miss, the original format mainly about keeping shitty old Vauxhall Vivas and Hillman Avengers on the road was very entertaining, as it was what I was doing at the time. I still cherish my full set of Jalopy mags and this place is now it in the online age, perhaps the cars are just a little bit less shitty now though....

• 5 years later...

Does anyone have an issue, any issue, of Jalopy that they'd be prepared to sell/rent/loan to me, please? I need a copy for a week or two, promise to return it in the same dog-eared state that I might receive it in and won't turn it into a papier mache cock and balls or use it to stuff my Fiat's sills with. Honest. 

Serious request - can pay monies. Thanks :)

1 hour ago, motorpunk said:

Does anyone have an issue, any issue, of Jalopy that they'd be prepared to sell/rent/loan to me, please? I need a copy for a week or two, promise to return it in the same dog-eared state that I might receive it in and won't turn it into a papier mache cock and balls or use it to stuff my Fiat's sills with. Honest. 

Serious request - can pay monies. Thanks :)

Yes, I have one spare - issue No. 5Sept/Oct 1992, with 2CV Dolly on the cover. PM me your details if you're interested....

Just to further tank @barefoot's investment strategy, some downloadable scans in PDF format are available here:

I absolutely loved Jalopy magazine - definitely a formative influence on my early-teen self, though erratic publication schedules made it hard to track down.

did manage to eventually buy up the odd copies I didn't find at the time of printing, read through them all again - then sold the complete set of issues 1-31 to someone on here a few years back, @500tops maybe?

I've still a few duplicates left over in my box of nostalgia - I guess that's sufficient to bring back the memories.

Some great writing, and great stories in there.

3 hours ago, barefoot said:

Ere, you can't go scanning and posting them on here. Folk will be able to read them. Realise that they're perhaps not quite as good as the internet legend suggests and the value of my full set and swapsies might plummet. 

Your investment is safe for now; continuing my abated scanning, editing and compiling process is so far down my list of things to do it's likely to have to wait beyond the heat death of the universe.

4 hours ago, chaseracer said:

I think the Trabi on the cover might have something to do with @Inspector Morose - possibly/maybe.

Yup, I acquired it after its moments of fame* in the mag.

As a 6v leaf sprung one, it wasn’t the best but it gained a place in the rotation of Trabbis that I used to commute in for a while.

Oddly enough, I swapped a MGBGT Jubilee for OOP-X, a DAF 66 and a Berkeley T60. One of my better deals,, that one.

12 hours ago, Datsuncog said:

Yup, that'll be Issue 11 - from April 1993.

Jalopy 11 Feb 2019.jpg

What never fails to set my tiny mind a-boggle is that at the time of publication, the cover star SD1 wasn't long past its 6th birthday (date of first registration - October 1986).

Was it an interesting article?