Jalopy Magazine,what are they worth?

155V6

Guest Lord Sward

I've never seen Jalopy mag, could someone maybe scan up some of the best articles, sounds like a bit of a laugh.

Imagine Viz from when it was genuinely funny, but about normal cars and real life motoring and you're getting there.  

Mind you, how soft southerners actually 'got' Viz is a mystery to me (and the original writers) as it was so North-East centric.  Unlike Jalopy.

Some of us 'soft southerners' even 'get' Chewin' The Fat.

It's never been independently verified but I believe there were 31 issues of Jalopy in total before it folded. To be honest, issues 28-31 (in A4 rather than the earlier A5 format) showed early signs of the wheels falling off the bus with much recycled content from earlier issues. The ones with Frank Westworth colunns were best.

I think I bought one Joypal... However skimmed through a few in the CoOp mag aisle.

IIRC a contributor bought a Lada, ran it for a while... decided to do an oil change... struggled to get the sump plug out... half a cup of gravy emerged (grudgingly!) - Filter & refill = Fucking BOOM.

His chastened words were 'leave well alone' lolzz

TS

Curiously, despite their age, they have anti-scan technology built in and can only be viewed in a very low-tech, actually holding the flaking paper sort of way.

i remember it being particually high* quality vellum as well. Sort of printed in soft focus?

So, please, can I get in a queue for this somewhere?

no one acknowledged this on the last page and i'm well up for reading automotive teenage agnst memory lane. If i don't get the whiff of a promise of a butchers i'll scream and scream and scream until i;m sick. or something.

Some of us 'soft southerners' even 'get' Chewin' The Fat.

It's never been independently verified but I believe there were 31 issues of Jalopy in total before it folded. To be honest, issues 28-31 (in A4 rather than the earlier A5 format) showed early signs of the wheels falling off the bus with much recycled content from earlier issues. The ones with Frank Westworth colunns were best.

That's about the right number of issues and I had exactly the same feeling (ie: "This isn't going to continue much longer") when they went from A5 to A4 size, it was almost as if they were wanting/trying to go more mainstream. I kept buying up to the end as I had from issue 1 and was both sad and annoyed when it disappeared.

I still have an original 'I heart my Jalopy' sticker (iss 1) on one of my toolboxes. 

I have just secured a stack of these for a massive tax-free undisclosed investment from a fellow shiter and all round good egg who posted them at lightning speed so I could relive some of my (almost) youth.  My favourites were the buyers guides which were the perfect antidote to the fucking hushed reverential tones in which even the most elderly German heap of rust normally had to be discussed in those days.

It felt brilliantly subversive at the time.  Somewhere around this time I got a promotion and was offered a basic BMW 3 series as a company car "congratulations" beamed the boss "you can have a BMW".  "I don't want one" had him a bit baffled, but we settled on the nearly new Sierra XR 4x4 of a recently departed salesman instead.

This is just a quick random selection -

post-20411-0-67320000-1474795353_thumb.jpgpost-20411-0-64796700-1474795361_thumb.jpgpost-20411-0-78899400-1474795371_thumb.jpgpost-20411-0-94336800-1474795380_thumb.jpgpost-20411-0-11860000-1474795392_thumb.jpgpost-20411-0-28314100-1474795406_thumb.jpg

Someone bought me a compilation of old articles from Car mag the other Christmas - maybe someone could do Jalopy the book.  There's no money in it of course, but it would be "fun".  BTW wasn't Mark Williams one of the founders/the founder?  He still writes for a classic bike mag (can't remember which one) and is as sharp as ever.  Disclaimer- like most shit I write, I could have totally made that up.

I was gutted when it disappeared.  It wasn't so much the "quality" journalism  it was the spirit of the whole thing I loved.  

Practical Classics is probably its spiritual successor these days - although Classic Bike Mechanics is maybe closer to its irreverence.  

PC at the time was rather earnest and although it catered a bit more for those of us on a budget, it still had a perfect E-Type and an MGB in every issue as well as a long-running correspondence on the letters page arguing about what old cars were and were not classics.  

Didn't Popular Classics (which merged with PC) exist around the same time and was a bit more down to earth? Your Classic was pretty good as well, that folded in about 1994 IIRC.

Much appreciation for the pictures AMC Rebel. I well remember the FD Victor story and the chap reconstructing the front end from Isopon.

Guest Lord Sward

I was gutted when it disappeared.  It wasn't so much the "quality" journalism  it was the spirit of the whole thing I loved.  

Practical Classics is probably its spiritual successor these days - although Classic Bike Mechanics is maybe closer to its irreverence.  

PC at the time was rather earnest and although it catered a bit more for those of us on a budget, it still had a perfect E-Type and an MGB in every issue as well as a long-running correspondence on the letters page arguing about what old cars were and were not classics.  

Practical Classics is its spiritual successor? You're joking, right?  If anything gets close to running shite old cars with a sense of humour and failed repairs its Car Mechanics.

A r.welfare says Your Classics seemed to take over from it, but was a bit too glossy (I've still got those Jazz mags too).

Obviously I am not going to be able to scan the lot, but since someone mentioned it, here's a Lada article -

attachicon.giflada1.jpeg

attachicon.giflada2.jpeg

The January 1993 issue was the first issue of Jalopy I ever bought. I was taken in by the Cortina 80 and the promise of 'Real World Motoring' on the front cover  :mrgreen:

Practical Classics is its spiritual successor? You're joking, right?  If anything gets close to running shite old cars with a sense of humour and failed repairs its Car Mechanics.

A r.welfare says Your Classics seemed to take over from it, but was a bit too glossy (I've still got those Jazz mags too).

Fair shout, especially since CM has run a Gooner II and Scenic as recent projects - and pointed out that the gooner was all round a better car than the 3 Series they had as a project which was a total nail.