What is / was this?

ChinaTom

I thought Variant, but it just looked too small. I guess the front wing contributes a lot to what we recognize. I obviously only see the headlamps on these - the curviness of the front edge was lost on me. Bank holiday Monday? Doesn't feel like one in this leaky site portakabin.

Except that's a late one and the one on the truck is pre 67 ;-)

I think they look good lowered, the slug like shape suits it. I miss mine greatly, one was bought by a magazine which then went bust and the car vanished and the other I had to sell in a hurry for £notmuch and it's sat rotting as the new owner wants a fortune as it's got a 1776cc motor with twin webers.

The torsion bar suspension is on splines so actually changing the height isn't a major job.  However the car in that magazine photo looks like it's had the front suspension narrowed so the front beam has been cut and welded.

They're a nice drive as standard; a bit more poke than a standard Beetle, a bit more space inside and with the later semi trailing arm suspension they handle quite nicely.

The Type 3 really is a looker compared to the Type 4 ;-)

I loved my 412 to drive, and because it was a 412LE Variant it had the perks of fuel injection, a massive boot in the front and even more space in the back.  It was also very comfortable with light steering and a decent ride.  But it wasn't attractive.

The engine uses a cooling fan on the end of the crank pulley so it's quite low, very useful with the estate (Variant) versions but pretty cool in the notchback and fastback versions too.

Usually referred to as the the 'suitcase engine'

The Type 3 really is a looker compared to the Type 4 ;-)

I loved my 412 to drive, and because it was a 412LE Variant it had the perks of fuel injection, a massive boot in the front and even more space in the back.  It was also very comfortable with light steering and a decent ride.  But it wasn't attractive.

I mustard mitt to serial killing 411s and 412s when I was a lad. Only solid examples, no rust buckets.

They were ace for Continental style stockcar racing. Until I got the first Audi 100 5E, that is.

I've always been quite interested in the tech aspects of some the aircooled dubs.  I had a Type 2 Bay window panel van back in the day - pleased to report I didn't fart about with the suspension (or much else), but it was slow, thirsty , had zero heating and demisting and went wrong on average every five minutes.  To be fair I suspect previous custodians hadn't helped.

In those days I could find parts in scrappies.  I recall removing a petrol burning heater from a Type 3 in a scappy.  I toyed with getting it then decided the prospects for fiery death ruled it out - I did liberate an axial electric fan though to try and blow some heat into the cab - it didn't help.

I thought they had some innovative if ultimately wank ideas - having to pump up the screenwash with air was one - the "heating" was another.