C20XE "A.V.A.S" engine mess

Station

C20XE Astra GSi

Looking at MOTing and selling the car this week.

These engine are absolutely unbreakable and never had HGF on one.

Oil full of mayonnaise, temp shoots up, coolant reservoir explodes when opened.

No warning, it's been fine but today started up for the first time in about 6 weeks it goes. Last drive was to Derby on AS scrapyard run, which was ages ago and it was fine?

K seal is a bit crap to be fair stixy, steel seal is better

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Steel-Seal-Head-Gasket-Repair-cylinder-block-/291737879274?hash=item43eceec2ea:g:VagAAOSwq7JT27qp

A mate of mines hg failed on his ecowreck and he didn't have the cash to have it repaired, i suggested he put a bottle in and it sorted it right out.

What would the pressure test do - the block or head, and for what, cracks?

It was nice doing this in the sun on the driveway, onto two small torx bolts stripped but came out with a light tap with a chisel. And going against the norm of not spelling any oil any where.

The gasket looks original, I had previous troubles with this, rad was leaking, pipes leaked, it overheated a few times (with steam) because it ran nearly dry. Fixed leaks and it was fine without obvious signs, until the other day. I think it just gave up in the end.

I've had one have a pipe explode on NYE in London, I've honestly never had a broken engine, owned seven of these.

Watching some ghetto DIY pressure testing on YouTube, think I'll get it checked and possibly skimmed.

Ayyyy, this is more like it. Thanks to the non-raining and not 4 degrees weather today, I continued my lil rebuild of the GSi engine.

So with my snooker chalk in my pocket, I torqued the head down ,made a gasket for the inlet, and set the tension on the cam belt. I was sent the wrong belt but the old one looks new, which is a bit of a blow out after all the new stuff bought, but after spending 2 hours setting the tension, I think I'll be happy with it.

Everything is spotless all cruddy oil on the head, block and crevices is gone and cleaned out. I set the cam cover on fire for 5 minutes which made it easier.

Newly painted cam and belt covers make the whole engine bay look superb.

Only thing left now is flush through with cheap oil, fix the wiring loom, fit the new ECU, fit new sump, repair the mess up on the interior computer (speed sensor and fuel computer is random which I think is a wiring problem), and find half of the nuts/bolts I've mislaid and then MOT it and sell it.

post-3738-0-86196500-1462059278_thumb.jpeg

post-3738-0-87183800-1462059304_thumb.jpg

post-3738-0-41377600-1462059343_thumb.jpeg