strangeangel

Strangeangel's Citroënic Shenanigans (featuring the Autoshite BX, Ami Break and some bikes) 9/12 EV dismantlage... HHCIB??

1 hour ago, busmansholiday said:

Perhaps you have now found out why there are so few are left?

6 minutes ago, Cavcraft said:

Ahh, what a pisser.  Hope it's something easy to fix.

Hope so, but I'm not holding my breath given that this one's already been fiddled with. Honestly, I didn't buy an electric Aixam because I thought I'd enjoy millions of miles of trouble-free motoring. Everyone knows what dismal, badly-made heaps they are, but here on Autoshite we all love an underdog, don't we?

I'm going to pull it to bits next weekend and see if I can figure out what it has crisped, and how viable repairing it would be. I already know it's not the speed controller, as the status light is flashing the code for 'normal operation'. It's a bugger but what can you do? ATEOTD it's a 10 year old battery powered car built by known incompetents in France... I was always sticking my head in the lion's mouth on this one!

8 minutes ago, Cavcraft said:

The Autoshite way would be to put several fucked old car batteries in the boot with some coat hanger 'wire' leading between them. 

I think that's also the Aixam way tbh.

I guess there's not much left if the controller is OK, possibly the motor? I guess it's a good opportunity to upgrade...

29 minutes ago, Cavcraft said:

The Autoshite way would be to put several fucked old car batteries in the boot with some coat hanger 'wire' leading between them. 

You've seen one of these then? 🤣

19 minutes ago, Dave_Q said:

I think that's also the Aixam way tbh.

I guess there's not much left if the controller is OK, possibly the motor? I guess it's a good opportunity to upgrade...

Well, we know the charger is fucking fucked M8 as the car's had that Halfords effort bodged in by the previous owners. The info I got from eBay the other day says you can unplug that  and the Aixam ECU (1ME221 and 1ME 222 respectively) and the car will still run, albeit with no instrument lights.

Screenshot from 2019-11-27 07-32-55.png

Given that neither of those appears to be mission critical, and the motor controller is telling me it's OK, it does rather point to the motor. If that does turn out to be the case, then I'd be interested to know what caused the motor to cark it.

Given the high current involved in the traction circuit, it could well be something as simple as a duff connection somewhere.

Even a slightly suboptimal connection will get bloody hot with this sort of power being pumped through it and could then cause a burnup.

My money is on it being a weedy but of wiring or underrated connector that's been toasted.

4 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

Given the high current involved in the traction circuit, it could well be something as simple as a duff connection somewhere.

Even a slightly suboptimal connection will get bloody hot with this sort of power being pumped through it and could then cause a burnup.

My money is on it being a weedy but of wiring or underrated connector that's been toasted.

Hope so. I rearranged the driveway tonight so the Aixam is by the garage door ready for the weekend. I probably shouldn't have, but I turned it on and stuck it in 'D' to see what would happen. To my surprise it moved forwards, very slowly and the big red exclamation mark light came on. I turned it off again sharpish and turned the big red isolator switch under the bonnet.

I haz been shopping...

stuff.thumb.jpg.c99ad2f264b8a1facb143e9fd87b9664.jpg

It's all the bits from an abandoned EV conversion bar the motor; all new and unused, just been sitting in a barn for a few years. I haven't had a close look yet, but I'm hoping the charger can be used in the Aixam (once I've figured out why it doesn't go). Anyway, it seemed worth getting for £130. Also included were these monsters:

batteries.thumb.jpg.7af3110d1371af7b4cb235331c503c97.jpg

They're probably no good - they were left in the barn three years ago (again, brand new), and all have about 3.5V in them now. I've put one on charge, but I'll be surprised if I don't end up weighing them in. They're far too big for the Aixam, anyway.

21 hours ago, strangeangel said:

They're probably no good - they were left in the barn three years ago (again, brand new), and all have about 3.5V in them now. I've put one on charge, but I'll be surprised if I don't end up weighing them in. They're far too big for the Aixam, anyway.

Milk float!

Today's efforts to try and work out why my Aixam won't go weren't particularly successful, in that I couldn't see any obviously burned components under the bonnet. I thought it'd be a good time to take the battery charger off and see if that can be repaired:

IMG_1877.thumb.JPG.0e66022af0a7cca43aa725d1720863a4.JPG

Someone's already been in it by the looks. Meanwhile, this:

IMG_1876.thumb.JPG.9e59352f9a0b7c1b871b6a2206abc902.JPG

is what's been charging the traction batteries in its stead. Excitingly* this was full of water, as was Aixam's tragic bellypan fashioned from soundproofing mat. This has worked about as well as you might expect; it's excellent water retention properties meant that the bolts holdng it to the frame were extensively rotted - with most having to be cut off - and lots of rust on the frame itself.

I think the next step is going to be the removal of the motor and getting it tested somewhere. With that in mind I've taken the front bumper and the soundproofing mat inner wings off... don't think it should be too bad a job now.

IMG_1880.thumb.JPG.04eaa9b3349dfa0e12fee83305685ccd.JPG

7 hours ago, Cavcraft said:

This really deserves to have a happy ending (probably both meanings) for you.

It's all good - this was always going to be a project. I wanted to learn a bit about EVs and I'm certainly doing that. ATEOTD I don't depend on it to get me about; when I read some 'shiters tales of automotive woe I realise how lucky I am to have the fleet I have, and a OH who tolerates my, er, eccentric taste in vehicles.