Strangeangel's Shite-tastic Shenanigans 12/12 NEW MOTOR - ACHIEVED.

strangeangel

11 hours ago, richardmorris said:

Someone I know has fitted one in his x1/9. It’s not easy or straightforward to do properly- half a dozen relays to make sure it cuts out when the ignition is off and in an accident when the ignition may still be on, but engine not running.

Ah OK, I thought it would be a common thing given how unreliable these aftermarket mechanical pumps seem to be?

@Zelandeth - if you've got a minute would you mind explaining how you've installed the one on your Invacar please?

10 hours ago, strangeangel said:

@Zelandeth - if you've got a minute would you mind explaining how you've installed the one on your Invacar please?

Couldn't be simpler really. 

It's just run from an ignition switched live to an inertia switch (which most cars back in the day wouldn't have bothered with, I just included it because I happened to have one laying around) and from there to pump.  Ground is just hooked up to the bracket it's held onto the bulkhead by.

9 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

Couldn't be simpler really. 

It's just run from an ignition switched live to an inertia switch (which most cars back in the day wouldn't have bothered with, I just included it because I happened to have one laying around) and from there to pump.  Ground is just hooked up to the bracket it's held onto the bulkhead by.

Cheers, I had to look up the inertia switch! Looks like they're a common fitment on kit cars etc. and cheap enough, so I'll grab one for the Ami.

1 minute ago, Dave_Q said:

Nice. Glad to hear the chap was sensible on price, at the end of the day it was either sell it to you or weigh it in.

He wasn't originally... he turned down/ignored my offer of £150 for the whole car just after it was listed, but I guess sitting under his office window for months untouched made him realise that, in this case, rare != desirable ?

Either way, a result was had ?

10 minutes ago, Dave_Q said:

Although if he could have been arsed to strip the copper out of the motor, maybe it would weigh in for more than that?

Good point, but they seemed very busy with - as well as cars - breaking down computers and washing machines etc., as well as dealing with and endless stream on Transit crewcab tippers relieving themselves of their loads for a few quid. Makes you think - to some it was a big mucky old scrappers, but there was some hardcore recycling going on there. The gaffer said it was the only properly electric car they'd had through the doors. The cops brought it, as it'd been dumped (presumably due to shagged batteries).

My back really isn't good at the moment, but I'm happy to report that I managed to take advantage of the decent weather this morning. First job was to make Aixam Special Tools #1 and #2:

spannas.thumb.jpg.dcde5ca31fec47470da262dc031bc351.jpg

Once I'd done that, removal of the motor was straightforward.

aixam.thumb.jpg.d82c52ec969dd5fadd021bc6c8b7d784.jpg

One thing I have noticed is that the motor from my car spins quite freely while the 'new' one is stiff and I can barely turn it by hand. Dunno what that means like.

I had a look at the Ami's fuel punp, and decided that I need to buy a load of fuel line and clips etc. before anything else can happen..

Takes me back to my days as a Pizza Hut Battle Rider. 

They were just in the process of replacing the old SH50s (33mph indicated up hill or down) with the ultra-wank Peugeot Looxor (27 eventually on the flat, walking pace up hills) and we had one SH50 left, in about that cosmetic condition, that we all used to fight over.

The 125 version must be quite the weapon.

3 hours ago, shedenvy said:

Unless you need to take passengers, filtering through traffic will save you acres of time compared to any car no matter how slow the bike.

Now swap Axiam motor into scooter and but a 24V battery in that top box.

In the longer term I might have a go at converting a scooter to BEV... I have accumulated all sorts of stuff since the wretched Aixam arrived! A couple of decent batteries and a reasonably sized motor and I'd be good to go.

On 2/27/2020 at 3:20 PM, strangeangel said:

One thing I have noticed is that the motor from my car spins quite freely while the 'new' one is stiff and I can barely turn it by hand. Dunno what that means like.

Depends on what kind of motor it is; is there a data plate or a removable panel/cover hiding brushes etc? Moar pics needed.