Strangeangel's Shite-tastic Shenanigans 12/12 NEW MOTOR - ACHIEVED.

strangeangel

My one gave out as I approached Croydon. Spent a day in London, back to the car at about 10pm and drove home, dropped some friends off in central Brighton - headlamps fading at this point - then back to mine. As I got to the end of my road it died, I rolled back into a parking space and walked the last few feet to my door. That's why Citroens are great, they only let you down when you're within walking distance from home...

I found that getting the right alternator was teh biggest challenge (there were several different types used) and it's an utter bastard of a job to change involving removing at least one engine mount and winching the whole engine backwards, but my mechanic did it in an afternoon with no complaints

I found that getting the right alternator was teh biggest challenge (there were several different types used) 

Ah, I'd just wanged the reg number into a couple of parts websites, e.g.

http://www.mister-auto.co.uk/en/alternator/citroen-bx-break-xb-1-9-d-71hp_v27699_g4.html

So I'd best get the old one off for a look before I starting ordering stuff then.

• 2 weeks later...

The new alternator arrived, packed like this and lying at the bottom of the box:

bolk111.thumb.jpg.3e7fa37bf0f80b17291db58eb7edc057.jpg

And, lo, it was knackered.

I asked for another one to be sent, but could it please be packed properly this time?

bolk222.thumb.jpg.ebc167b503b59a8a3958eaedddc1cd53.jpg

GENIUS. Miraculously, this one survived at the hands of Smashy McSmashface The Courier and was duly fitted.

So charging has been restored, but I still had to play the will-it-won't-it-rise game for 10 minutes or so. I did disconnect one of the big LHM pipes from the reservoir because it was in the way, but I was careful not to lose any. Then again, maybe it wasn't best pleased about being left on axle stands for a week? Who knows. It's working again, which is the main thing!

Sorry, didn't spot that because I'm an idiot!  Given your warning light was on it's harder to say what actually failed.  If the light doesn't come on *and* you've got no charging (assuming the bulb is okay) it often turns out to be nothing more complex than a stuffed set of brushes, which in my experience at least are usually easy enough to change.

Do these suffer the same tendency to kill alternators by dripping LHM from the hydraulic pump into it over time as the Xantias?  Been forever since I was anywhere near a BX.

Do these suffer the same tendency to kill alternators by dripping LHM from the hydraulic pump into it over time as the Xantias?  Been forever since I was anywhere near a BX.

It didn't seem particularly oily when I removed it... there's a picture further back in the thread; it's covered in the usual diesel/road filth but that's about it. I'll certainly have another look under the bonnet at some point this weekend, though.

Pump is at the other end of the engine to the alternator on these happily. Finding a set of brushes for the old alternator isn't a bad shout. At least you'll then have a good spare sitting on the shelf.

They didn't send a return label for the broken one, so I could probably cannibalise the brushes from that (if they're still intact).

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/27/2017 at 9:52 AM, strangeangel said:

They didn't send a return label for the broken one, so I could probably cannibalise the brushes from that (if they're still intact).

And today was the day to try this. First off I took the old brushes out of the original alternator:

brushes.thumb.jpg.3e0f8341d7467e12ed9beb52e198514e.jpg

Not the best then. I pulled the ones out of the 1st (knackered) Bolk alternator, but they were totally different so I've stashed them away as spares for the one that's on the car now. The rest went in the scrap.

They're cheap enough on eBay, though, so I've ordered a replacement and now, as dollywobbler suggested, I can have a good spare waiting on the shelf!

In the meantime I have another problem, albeit easily fixed. This fell off on the way home from the football last week:

zorst.thumb.jpg.6aea898706d73831d11f48aad3aff884.jpg

OH WELL, ITS ONLY MONEY INNIT?

• 3 weeks later...

That bad, eh? Well, it was cheap... Oh well, if it does cark it rest assured I will post an update.

It's carked it, after a full TWO WEEKS in service. Hey Bolk, your alternators suck balls.

The original is now back on the car, with the new brushes/regulator thing, and all seems well again.

Shitty email fired off to Mister Auto, refund sought.

The original is now back on the car, with the new brushes/regulator thing, and all seems well again.

Spoke too soon, didn't I? The battery light came on on the way back from the shops this evening. It is charging, but only producing 12.7V, so as bad as they looked the brushes clearly weren't the problem with the original alternator after all.

So it's time to order a(nother) new one, but obviously I don't want to buy another turd akin to Bolk's offerings. Any recommendations for a reputable brand please?

Spoke too soon, didn't I? The battery light came on on the way back from the shops this evening. It is charging, but only producing 12.7V, so as bad as they looked the brushes clearly weren't the problem with the original alternator after all.

So it's time to order a(nother) new one, but obviously I don't want to buy another turd akin to Bolk's offerings. Any recommendations for a reputable brand please?

The recon alternator on the Lexus came from this lot: http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Schmitz-Rotary

Now, they may not have the right one on the shelf, but the alternator came with a full read out of its performance, suggesting they have all the gear. So, if they don't have the right one, perhaps they could identify the fault? 

"hi. My world famous magazine producing mate said you would be just the chaps to help me. My friend said that if you fix my alternator free of charge he will give you free advertising in 5 magazines for a year... He loves the one he got from you, as do his publishing company owning colleagues. Thanks, I'll post it over bye "

• 2 months later...