Strangeangel's Shite-tastic Shenanigans 12/12 NEW MOTOR - ACHIEVED.

strangeangel

• 2 weeks later...

The Ami's speedo is pretty hopeless. It seems to bear no resemblance to the speed that you're doing either in km or mph. So I went out today with this device taped to the windscreen (cheers @UltraWomble for the tip):

IMG_1756.thumb.JPG.ae1de1deb1aa0ff9d283136983b20428.JPG

It's a cheap Chinese GPS speedometer and, while I wouldn't want it in the car permanently, I used it today to figure out exactly how slow we're going. So 40 on the speedo is 30mph, 60 is 45mph and 70 is 50mph. Simple :)

This is infinitely more practical than the method employed on the collection day, namely radioing @djimbob in the Kia and asking how fast I was going.

EDIT: Here's another picture from this morning's jaunt, just because it's such a cool looking car!

out2.thumb.jpg.9855dbe118c441a864e8ea186fd54750.jpg

Appropriately aged radio fitted to the Ami:

IMG_1762.thumb.JPG.2f4998d96413a96d24da36a0292b7629.JPG

IMG_1759.thumb.JPG.c766195a75fa3cf894535d32bfb73f20.JPG

IMG_1760.thumb.JPG.751fc4585c6c77d5c3c4f0640424e77f.JPG

There were three factory-looking holes in the parcel shelf, two of which lined up exactly with the bolts on the radio cage. It's running off it's own rechargeable battery pack at the moment, and I haven't checked yet to see if there's interference when the engine's running, or if you can even hear it over the flat twin racket! But it looks nice, doesn't it?

@Conrad D. Conelrad it was a Philips after all! I should have stayed with my first guess.

On 9/11/2019 at 8:17 PM, strangeangel said:

Blimey! For 23 grand I'd buy a DS. I have to say that I don't like the saloon as much as the Break either.

I drove to work in mine today, can't say I'd be doing that in one that cost 23 large.

DD Classics have form for this type of thing. They once tried asking 25 grand for a CX S1 GTi, also LHD.

I suppose it's worse because they are a London dealer (Kew is never a cheap place to be in, and Richmond is worse!), so high rents for premises whether they move stuff on or not.

It's a nice day... what say we do something about this?

IMG_1763.thumb.JPG.64377c2b02e7807836bb8081abd275cf.JPG

There is a spare set of these, but the front passenger one is fecked; even more so than this effort. I want to spend some money on getting the seats re-foamed and covered, not this, so what do?

A trip to Wickes yields a piece of 3mm hardboard and a can of carpet adhesive spray (£11). I used a Stanley blade to carefully prise the vinyl away from the knackered backing:

IMG_1764.thumb.JPG.09e7c77d3830e737e138d479d9a357d1.JPG

Drew round the old one:

IMG_1765.thumb.JPG.25c9c4df1e2358635f34d828e7fafeea.JPG

Got jiggy with it:

IMG_1766.thumb.JPG.bf5ca4a5c5fc0f38c9d134beb1cf4c00.JPG

Then glue was sprayed, and the two sides stuck together.

IMG_1767.thumb.JPG.374c301cb2b17f046e17ebd64883bfe1.JPG

Time for a beer while it sets.

IMG_1768.thumb.JPG.d5dc4b725c42df55099211d15fb76091.JPG

Cheers!

On 9/8/2019 at 8:16 PM, strangeangel said:

The Ami's speedo is pretty hopeless. It seems to bear no resemblance to the speed that you're doing either in km or mph. So I went out today with this device taped to the windscreen (cheers @UltraWomble for the tip):

It's a cheap Chinese GPS speedometer and, while I wouldn't want it in the car permanently, I used it today to figure out exactly how slow we're going. So 40 on the speedo is 30mph, 60 is 45mph and 70 is 50mph. Simple :)

This is infinitely more practical than the method employed on the collection day, namely radioing @djimbob in the Kia and asking how fast I was going.

EDIT: Here's another picture from this morning's jaunt, just because it's such a cool looking car!

Do you have a link to them for sale, please, and do you happen to know what they measure? Thanks.

*Edit: by measure I mean how wide/long are they, please?

Prevention is better than cure, even more so if you've already been cured once! Water is entering the Ami somewhere, to my great* surprise, and I noticed that the floor had a distinctly brown hue when I lifted the carpet up.

IMG_1783.thumb.JPG.46f4bfa948c587d8d1d0204648803bee.JPG

IMG_1784.thumb.JPG.c6db2351206e7f26535b58390a72bb0a.JPG

Not good. This has already been replaced once (at great expense, I would imagine - see earlier in the thread) so I'm keen to sort it out. It looks like it was only ever primered, so I'm going to clean it up with a flap disc, apply Hydrate 80 and then a couple of coats of Zinc 182 followed by some black paint or other.

The good news is it's still only surface rust really, here's a test patch I cleaned up earlier:

IMG_1785.thumb.JPG.eba8462de44814df6c37ae700c21d2ee.JPG

I'm probably going to attack this in sections as I don't want to be leaving the clean metal exposed for any length of time. More soon...

4 minutes ago, strangeangel said:

I started off with a brush but it there are some pits in the steel and it wasn't getting them clean.

If you get all the pits out you are reducing the thickness of all the metal around by the depth of the pits.And I would imagine Ami floorpans to be fairly thin anyway.

A rust converter like Vactan or Hydrate 80 will make the rust in the pits stable and provide a good basis for overcoating with paint.

21 minutes ago, artdjones said:

If you get all the pits out you are reducing the thickness of all the metal around by the depth of the pits.And I would imagine Ami floorpans to be fairly thin anyway.

A rust converter like Vactan or Hydrate 80 will make the rust in the pits stable and provide a good basis for overcoating with paint.

Exactly.

Flap disc for the surface rust, wire wheel for the deep pits, rust treater of choice, zinc primer, glossy top coat, job jobbed.  If you were really concerned about digging in too hard, polycarb discs are much kinder on the surface and munch through surface rust with minimal fuss and mess, only problem is they wear out pretty quickly.

I still stand by KuRust for doing rust treatment of panels that aren't too heavily rusted.  If you clean everything back well like you are and paint on fairly liberally, it does a good job.  Especially if you then follow up with some zinc rich primer and glossy top coat.  The Hydrate 80 does seem to be even more effective, and priced accordingly.  Jenolite I hate, I usually find I have to revisit any job I've treated with their products not long after applying it so I can't recommend them at all.

Once you've got everything cleaned up, are you going leak hunting?  I bet it's something small and almost invisible.

26 minutes ago, vulgalour said:

Once you've got everything cleaned up, are you going leak hunting?  I bet it's something small and almost invisible.

Isn't it always? Yes, I will try and find the source of the ingress once I've got this floor looking something like.

Bonus job: while the front seat is out I may as well 're-string' it with the bag of rubber rings jonny69 bought but never got around to!

IMG_1788.thumb.JPG.55cfb0dca78c7f62cf725ccd2daef293.JPG

I also finished painting that room that the seat is in this afternoon... been a busy lad on my day off, haven't I?

Sorry, bit out of date here, but as Barratt says, the non-stop wipers is a thing and is easily 'fixed' by just removing the park wire from the switch. Then you can also park the wipers straight up, for better* aerodynamics. #Racecar

Windscreen seal would seem a likely culprit, so I'd be giving Captain Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure an outing.