Strangeangel's Shite-tastic Shenanigans 12/12 NEW MOTOR - ACHIEVED.

strangeangel

Good to see you and the BX back on these pages.

I wouldn't worry too much about the arm bearings, new bearings are cheap and they're no big deal to replace (I'm an idiot and I managed to do mine myself). Make sure the new bits are absolutely drenched in oil and grease. You're in the advantageous position, unlike I was, that everything else attached to the suspension arm isn't completely fucked.

Good to see you and the BX back on these pages.

I wouldn't worry too much about the arm bearings, new bearings are cheap and they're no big deal to replace (I'm an idiot and I managed to do mine myself). Make sure the new bits are absolutely drenched in oil and grease. You're in the advantageous position, unlike I was, that everything else attached to the suspension arm isn't completely fucked.

Cheers for the above thoughts, chaps. This doesn't seem as bad as I've been led to believe it would be... anyway, since the BX was barred from the garage two villages away (they weren't touching the front to rears, no way Jose) I've had to find a more accommodating place to get it repaired/MOTd.

The new place (just out on the way to our hangout at Glossop, funnily enough) did all the work listed above without drama, and have since told me that the radius arm bearings aren't the end of the world either. So, as I'm unusually time-poor and (relatively) cash-rich just now - it's usually the other way round! - it can go and spend a few days with them. Everything goes in phases, and my interest in buying & selling old cars/rank mopeds has never been lower. I think the old nail may have found a home for the rest of its days on earth.

I've also sounded the garage out about seeing what else it will need to pass its MOT again in March. Can't wait to hear how that works out...

Boring post alert, as this was not achieved using rounded off Chinese ring spanners but MONEY. And no photos. Not very Autoshite then... ho hum.

Took it to the garage:

• NS radius arm bearing OK!
  • OS radius arm bearing FUCKED. Replaced.
  • NSF CV boot split (they are good about casting an eye over the entire decomposing wreck). Replaced.
  • handbrake adjusted from 'Yank to vertical' setting to something sensible.

Reasonable bill was paid, owner was not battered with a length of 4x2" for suggesting that he'd like to bring it back for the MOT in February. Drove home in lovely old Citroen, while casually winning at life.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, this sucks balls... the clutch that was replaced two years/10000ish miles ago has expired big time. It never worked brilliantly, and I suspect that this was the fault of the garage that fitted it. Anyway, I managed to limp it to M&M and they had a listen and reckon that the thrust bearing has gone through the plate :mad:

The upside of all this is that it doesn't need much for the impending MOT (2 flexi brake hoses, an unspecified LHM leak from the front and, of course, the other radius arm bearing, natch), so the bill will be merely considerable as opposed to feckin' gargantuan. I can live with that!

On a related note, what with cars this age typically being one big bill away from the bridge, I was delighted to see this:

e83epn1111.thumb.png.35333541cf96c8fc9c66da5653c830ea.png

For those with short memories, this is the car spotted by Barrett that's registered a few digits along from mine:

Maybe I will get that picture of the two of them together after all!

A small update after picking it up this morning... the new clutch is a revelation - fuck knows what the dudes who fitted the last one did, but the gearchange is like a knife through butter now. The LHM leak is gone too, so it's allowed on the driveway again. Well pleased. As I managed to get my bike tested today as well, I may allow myself the luxury of fitting the fancy DAB radio I pinched out of the CJ tomorrow, although I'll need to find a switched live from the ignition to do that.

A little while ago, Mrs_SA clocked the bill on the kitchen table: "You must really like that car!" Well, who wouldn't??

• 2 weeks later...

I've been meaning to remove the crappy £15 (that's £15 posted from China, folks...) Chinese stereo and replace it with the nice Pure DAB+ unit I had out of the CJ for ages. I've been putting it off because I couldn't find a switched live - well, today I did, and it looks and sounds a lot better:

stereo.thumb.jpg.029a28cc13de79762a13727f1404da81.jpg

Unfortunately, while routing the wire for the DAB antenna to the rear of the car I lifted one of the rubber mats in the back, and discovered that there's some sort of mange growing in the carpet.

2056012885_rankcarpet.thumb.jpg.c7e12805fe839e83e0e9f647d8b625a1.jpg

There were also a couple of woodlice which were swiftly evicted. Not good... time for new door seals, then, if such things are even available?

They're a standard profile,available from the likes of Seals Direct:

https://www.sealsdirect.co.uk/seals-products.asp?intDepartmentId=68

The only difference is they don't have the neat moulded right angled corner, but functionally seem fine without it.

Thanks for that. It doesn't look like it'll break the bank either, so a job I can get on and sort before the car starts growing mushrooms and holes.

Following a tip-off from Broadsword (a very nice chap) in the News 24 thread about the presence of a BX in the York U-Pull-It... well, what else would I be doing with my day off work?

1909102126_deadbx.thumb.jpg.fb61479900d74761faac823cda0456a9.jpg

I've never been to one of these yards before. In truth I rarely ever see the inside of any scrapyard, because it's rare for something the age of the BX to turn up these days. Sadly the thing I really wanted - the NSR door - was nearly as bent as mine, but I got a lot of useful smaller items which I will put to good use shortly.

The sun's still shining here; when I've had a brew I might go outside again and do a few jobs!

So, I didn't break my neck but I did get a few bits done... I've never been precious about all the 'wrong' stuff fitted to the car - I actually like most of it. And, by way of a bonus, it annoys Citroën bores at shows, but I've never been keen on that GTi steering wheel:

oldwheel.thumb.jpg.22102d7e813da2568fe9be98e85296eb.jpg

No, I've always thought one spoke is enough for any self-respecting Citroën (there's also another small improvement in this shot):

wheel.thumb.jpg.3e74a7a4f22b8082db1e96368286edf6.jpg

I'm genuinely surprised as to how much one small thing like that can change the driving experience of the car! Anyway, time to fix the half of the rear seat that won't lock upright anymore. One new latch bit thing, courtesy of the donor car, and it's back in business:

seatcatch.thumb.jpg.a24e62394e3c4fcec2fb4654e455154e.jpg

A new pin switch on the driver's door and the courtesy of courtesy lights are extended to the driver!

intlights.thumb.jpg.910ffea66cfe3e75f227de06037a8afe.jpg

The boot catch, and the joys of the passenger electric window and CL solenoid can be saved for another day.

That single spoke steering wheel is a massive improvement. It was cool to meet you and good to see the parts on that scrap car go to good use! I have finally test driven a BX which was a nice bonus for the day!

You're welcome, and thanks for the heads up on the car in the first place. It does sadden me when another one ends it's days in the yard, but it's a fact of life and the best outcome is for the shell to be picked clean and the bits used to keep others on the road.

Great meeting you today, and thanks for the spin in the Lupo - it does give me hope that there are relatively modern cars out there that I could get on with.