Car not showing on DVLA site?

quicksilver

Here's a rather strange one I could do with some advice on. To cut a long story short my colleague's car suddenly and terminally died leaving him without transport so another colleague gave him his Renault Scenic that had been out of use for quite a long term and was understood to be SORNed. He took it for an MOT on Thursday and it passed so yesterday he tried to tax it at the post office but they said they were unable to do so for some reason. The weird thing is that it shows up on the MOT history site (including the one passed on Thursday) but entering the same details into the vehicle enquiry site gives the vehicle not found error, which we suspect is related to his inability to tax it. He has the V5 so it seems extremely unlikely that a COD has been issued, but for what reason would it show up on one government site but not another (apart from the DVLA being a bunch of cockwombles)? Any ideas chaps? 

The Oldsmobile doesn't show on the DVLA vehicle check either. Rang DVLA who told me "not to worry about it" as " the website is not infallible". Hmmmmm.

They said it was fine and on the main system. I do have a v5c.

Checked on ukvehicle.com and it shows up there. As a 1997 Oldsmobile first registered in Luton in 1990....

Am even more confused now!

Thanks for the suggestions, there's nothing odd about the car as far as I can see. Reg is HV05CXT, make is recorded as Renault and not as anything strange.and http://www.cardatachecks.co.uk says it had no previous registrations. Fortunately it's not my car so I'm not the one who has the soul-destroying task of ringing the DVLA, I'm just trying to help my colleague understand why he can't tax it. He's already rung them once before he tried to tax it and everything seemed ok.

Whenever I've had cause to speak to Doovla In the last year or so, it's been quite painless and anyone I've spoken to has gone out of their way to be helpful .

Looking back at that sentence, I think I should cut down on the meds.....

FTFY

• 2 years later...

I've become aware that the DVLA has started to not issue V55s to new owners if the vehicle has been untaxed for many years. I recently acquired a conveyance from a friend that had not used on the road for more than 30 years. It was on a V55 in his name, so I sent it off having filled in the new keeper section. Weeks later I received a form to complete 'because the vehicle has not been used for so long'. These pages had the appearance of having been produced by an infant on a John Bull printing outfit.

I know of 2 bikers who've had the same issue, and one told me that the club for his particular make have informed him that his efforts to recover the number are now unlikely be successful even though he has plenty of evidence (original bill of sale and bike matching numbers).

Any ideas about what they're up to?

With out recounting my boring AMC tax story again.....

DVLA is run by people who shouldn't be let loose running a shopping list on a BBC micro.

TL:DR - my issue was caused by a missing date of manufacture and instead of applying any logic at all that just prompted a "computer says no" message which the wonk I phoned also got and he had no more idea (and no more access) than I did why.

It took a formal complaint and months of missed service deadline promises to find out why.

If a car has been untaxed for some time and not sorned then you can’t tax it until you do SORN it. Similarly if there is a change of keeper and the new keeper doesn’t tax it straight away but registers it in their name the car then has to be sorned before it can be taxed. This was explained to me when I couldn’t tax my car by the dvla. Don’t know if this helps.....

Mark

If a car has been untaxed for some time and not sorned then you can’t tax it until you do SORN it. Similarly if there is a change of keeper and the new keeper doesn’t tax it straight away but registers it in their name the car then has to be sorned before it can be taxed. This was explained to me when I couldn’t tax my car by the dvla. Don’t know if this helps.....

Mark

Sounds illogical captain (but entirely credible) I wonder why they do that?

Sounds illogical captain (but entirely credible) I wonder why they do that?

I would guess that because it has to be one or the other, ie taxed or sorned. if there is a gap in the tax then it should have been sorned and that is the starting point to get it retaxed. I found this out when I couldn’t tax mine after 3 weeks of buying it but having registered it in my name. Had forgotten about sorning it as I was going to tax it the next month so entered a web chat on line with someone from the dvla.

Mark

But according to them if you've owned it but not taxed before sorn was dreamt up then it doesn't matter.

Yet they won't send me a red look book for 2 of mine? Repeatedly lied too that they'll be sent (since they didn't loose a load of blue ones) licking forward to the faff when one is ready for road sometime in next few months & the other in wish.

"If you have a classic vehicle that has not been taxed since 1983, it might not be registered with DVLA.

If this is the case and you want to register it, follow all the instructions for registering a vehicle for the first time"

This is what the Swansea say, yet new registrations started to be put on the computer around 1975. So what's happened to the early records?

This is what the Federation of British Hysteric Vehicle Clubs says-

"There was a period in the 1990s when the capacity of the DVLA computers was causing concern. For a brief period, while the system was upgraded, records for vehicles that had not been licensed for some years were backed up and removed from the main computer to increase capacity. Many of today’s front line staff at DVLA do not know of the backed-up records. You need to apply again, this time enclosing a covering letter explaining why you believe your vehicle should be recorded."

So my log book was backed up on a C60 cassette thats dropped down the back of the radiator.