What shite car-repair jobs are you curently putting off?

Split_Pin

Well I've just spent the weekend on my Talbot camper - Missus wants it on the road after a long lay up (14 months now) Started up with no effort at all and managed to do the oil and water. Quick check over for the MOt found exhaust montings broke (easily replaced) One dodgy brake pipe (but ended up making 2 to be on the safe side (pain to fit and the bleed nipples were seized !!!!!! argh) Cleand the discs up and thats it - everything else looks honky dory :-) so take it for it's MOT soon.The Nissan needs a small patch on the sill and bloody good clean and MOt but that should be ok.The anglia is having a weldathon at the moment - not much left of the original bodywork from the roof down -- but it will be done ;-) The XR2 is mint and just keeps plodding along and the Capri is laid up at the moment as I cant be arsed to insure / tax / run it.The Mitsubishi is running great and needs nowt doing to it :-)

Repair work.I don't even want to think about it. I have 7 Citroens in dire need of some serious attention, which will include a lot of welding, and a lot of LHM.... and a fiat, and a Pug, and various other bits of shite that need major work.

Blimey thats some long lists!I also now dont feel so bad about farming some jobs out to a mechanic that are either beyond my limits or simply too soul-destroying to do - as I see some of you do that too :) I would like to think I will have a bash at most car things, but I took a look at the state of the crusty bolts holding the Vecs fuel tank on yesterday and as I cant grind them out I'm getting my local garage to do it.

My XR2 needs a new roof. I have a replacement chopped off a dead Fiesta, but fuck knows how I'm going to go about transplanting it.

It also needs the carb rebuilt and the gear linkage sorted, I have good spares of both to swap on and am going to rebuild the originals, unfortunately some dick has bought up all the gear linkage repair parts in Ford's nationwide inventory and has been flogging them at ten times the price on eGay. Posted Image

Then we're talking about resto stuff really, replacement driver's door, investigate previous repairs to inner wing, sort dent in rear panel, paint.

The other two Fiestas remain in Scotland in component form and until I can be arsed or lose the storage that's where they'll stay!!

My XR2 needs a new roof. I have a replacement chopped off a dead Fiesta, but fuck knows how I'm going to go about transplanting it.

I have this problem with the R11. The sunroof has allowed the roof skin to develop a few small holes. Maybe half a dozen or so around the sunroof tray. The best way to fix them seems to be a new roof as I can't exactly weld new metal in or fill the roof full of porridge to hide the holes.I guess cutting the roof off another R11 shouldn't be that hard but fitting it? Fuck me that seems like hard work :(

I'm halfway through welding up my Landcrab and can't be arsed to do any more! :roll: Not touched it for two weeks due to being sick of welding.

Is this due in no small way to the big, but excellent job you did on the school bike?

Not so much putting off but waiting for my friendly mechanic to do (I don't have the time, plus every time I attempt something I break it anyway)Golf needs rear discs and pads changed and the handbrake needs attention. Then a new MOT.Datsun needs a new speedo cable, oil change, hazards and horn fixed

All of them - but mainly welding. Though, to be honest, I'm itching to get out there while the weather is fine (no garage see). I'm on a bit of a welding roll at the moment (new welder helps - much nicer to use than my old SiP jobby). It's a case of finding time between my childrens' various needs, the domestic usuals and doing enough work to keep my employers happy with me.

Mouseflakes, what's the new welder?

I went for the Clarke 151TE. It has a much more robust wire feed than my old SiP machine, which was really driving me up the wall as it got older - it was never that good even when new. It's nice and compact too - the downside is having to convert it to take large bottles of shielding gas, but as the chassis is smaller I can squidge it away in a corner much easier.Based my decision on info from this site here.http://www.mig-welding.co.ukHere's a discussion around 'which hobby MIG welder to buy?'http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=661The chap behind it is a bit of an all-round genius - if you have the time look at some of his projects.http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/about.htmHe's a big R4 fan - he re-homed my (kernackered) '68 R4.

investigate previous repairs

3 extremely frightening words to me :(
Yeah, youre not joking. All looked fine until I found two screwheads that shouldnt be there either side of a bulge under a crack in the paint - looks like someone has filled a hole the welding-free way.... then I found a coach bolt holding the battery tray on :roll: Immediately went on Ebay to snap up a new old stock repair section, as sods law dictates that by the time I get round to sorting it, Fiesta inner wing panels will be £5000.

The roof is a bigger problem. The drain pipes (which channel water down into the sill box sections :roll: ) havent done their job and with one or more becoming blocked the skin has rotted from the inside out, to the extent that its pretty much impossible to repair it back to original. Changing it to a sunroofless panel will therefore solve two problems :)

The Ford workshop manual makes it look easy but I'm scared shitless by the enormity of the job and the risk of cocking it right up - Certainly wont be doing it myself. other folk have successfully done it though, and thats my main motivation:

Posted Image

Before

Posted Image

New skin

Posted Image

After fitting

Posted Image

After painting

UPDATE=

Transit- replace engine, reardoors. front door reskin, new rear arches, seats, sills, paint, MOT....has to be done for end of May

Diesel Cortina- weld rear sills, new fuel tank, convert to 2.9i

Custom Cortina- strip it out and sell/give the shell to anyone that wants it....IN PROGRESS

Mk3 Cortina GXL- refit interior, rebuild carb, MOT, sell.....IN PROGRESS

Mk3 Cortina 2door- fit new running gear, engine, doors, wings, bit of welding, interior, MOT.

CortinaP100- new rad, custom exhaust, weld, weld, weld paint, MOT.

Orion Diesel- remove good bits and scrap....GOING TOMORROW

Micra- remove FT's bits and scrap. DONE

Mondeo, fuck the gearbox swap....too much work, remove bit and scrap....ALMOST DONE

Oldsmobile, weld up cracked manifold, service, fit nitros kit....JUST THE NOS TO DO

Sierra P100- fit reversing lights, wash....DONE

New car- who knows depends whats wrong with it after a couple of days. ARRIVED....a 1.1 1994 FIESTA, with lots of dents :D

and other than that I have 4 people wanting me to rebuild Cortinas for them......and I dont have my garage any more :cry: :cry:it -

Having spent the last 6 months with the Avenger looking like this:-

Posted Image

Posted Image

yesterday I took the opportunity to do some painting:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Now to get her sorted for MOT. Yes, it is a she, Mrs Peel to be exact...it's an Avenger thing. ::) ::):oops::roll:

Avenger looking DELIGHTFUL!I am king procrastinator at present. Maybe I'll wash the car tomoz, & perhaps fit the bonnet struts I've been meaning to do for 2 months. :roll: Ought to sort out the scratch some nob-end left me with, but maybe it's not worth sorting properly until I sort out my bubbly arches. Meh.

I've actually not really been putting off stuff this year so far and have been pretty busy. Only half of my efforts have been car stuff mind.. the rest of the time I've been tidying up the place, getting rid of junk and scrap then prepping the land for a spot of agriculture.I finally got round to banging the Renault 5 I bought back in January in for a test today. I dunno why I waited really ..one low rear reading on the handbrake and a wiper blade :roll: Rear brake just needed a 2 minute fettle and it was golden. Back in for retest tomorrow and then I'll have it as a daily for the summer. First though, it's going in for a PCT next sunday. R5 offroading! Hurray!

A few more jobs have come up on the Vec this week, not really hard jobs, but fiddly. Hardly on the same scal as some of the aforementioned though!I have finally traced the oil leak to the base of the oil return pipe on the front of the engine. My main problem here is eating my weetabix fast enough so I can use the packet to make a gasket for it. :lol:

• 5 months later...

Not put off but Just pulled off a great bodge on my Imp van , the wipers used to sail off both ends of the windscreen because the wiper boxes / cable / everything else to do with wiping british summer time off the screen is knackered to the point the other day where the drivers arm got ripped off going over the rubber , id already turned the wiper boxes 180 degrees to make use of the unused gear teeth about 10 years ago , now these are fubared , so removed wiper motor and took out the large plastic cog with the peg on it that the cable is attached too , removed peg and moved it inbound 3mm , result wipers stay on the screen :D