Toyota Supra MKIII 26/09 - Action! Intrigue! Suspension!

MikeKnight

It's very nice, but those wheels...

.. have had so much spent on refurbing them that I'm block headingly refusing to even think about changing them.

I have to admit I much prefer mostly-filled-in alloys, like big dishes and the like, but finding them in 17" and up seems very difficult without getting them custom made as steel "smoothies".

I really do NOT like the standard Supra Mk3 alloys that come with the car from factory. They are not an option. At all. I have one as a spare (because they always came with a full size spare) but that's it.

I do want it repainted at some point (including the roof and spoiler), because it's on subframes it means I can drop everything and get it properly soda blasted back to bare metal and repainted properly.

But that's in the far future.

It would go Lexus pearl white. I love that colour, looks fantastic on the GT86's.

• 4 weeks later...

The rear factory shocks decided to finally die on me on my way to the workshop last week, so I decided it was time to swap them out for the new ones.

Mmmm new and shiny. They're Eibach lowering springs with basic KYB shocks. Not monstrously expensive.

IMG_20160920_105002_zps3ekt3qlp.jpg

The old shocks fitted to the car, pictured below. They were a right bastard to remove despite only being connected with a single bolt. The lower fitting is TIGHT as all hell with little to no leeway.

IMG_20160920_113153_zps6uxghj5r.jpg

Removed from the car. They're pretty knackered.

IMG_20160920_123652_zps1rzcdfzq.jpg

I didn't re-use the dust shields because one of them was absolutely totalled. Must have got caught in the spring many moons ago. There are various theories on if you can safely run shocks without dust shields and my view is.. yes.. yes you can quite happily run without them. Unless you're driving on dust-covered salt flats every day. They're there so the shocks last longer, but with lowered springs that becomes a bit of a moot point as there's only like an inch of shaft showing at any time (teehee). I did re-use the foam bump stops but cut them down to half height because of the reduced travel.

IMG_20160920_123704_zpsr3cxalbn.jpg

The car sits much more level now and looks a lot better.

IMG_20160921_111555_zpsfalbiddd.jpg

I'll likely do the fronts at some point in the near future, but the ones on the car are in decent nick so that can wait. The fronts are nowhere as near as bad as the rears were.

I have to admit I'm not that impressed with the quality of KYB shocks. I likely won't buy that brand again, but they're a decent stop gap while I decide if I want coil-overs or not.

• 3 weeks later...

Yo, Mike, Where did you get the turbo rebuild bits from? Did you buy a complete CHRA, fit it and send it out for balancing?

I have a CT20B here from a Rev 3 Turbo MR2 that needs work and if I can, I will buy the parts locally.

It is also interesting to see that the CT26 on yours has a single IWG and non-split exhaust port. The opposite to the Rev 2 MR2 unit that I have here, from my old engine.

YaY... KYB all round on mine too. Only 80k so springs well enough. Shrouds knakked on rears so new fitted & 2x rubber hoses (std fail/needed with refitting rears). Droplinks & ARB bushes done too.

Car now 'as new'.... FukkinnKrakkinn M8

Best results for a £230 outlay (+ fitting) ;)

TS

Yo, Mike, Where did you get the turbo rebuild bits from? Did you buy a complete CHRA, fit it and send it out for balancing?

I have a CT20B here from a Rev 3 Turbo MR2 that needs work and if I can, I will buy the parts locally.

It is also interesting to see that the CT26 on yours has a single IWG and non-split exhaust port. The opposite to the Rev 2 MR2 unit that I have here, from my old engine.

Have you seen in the earlier posts about positive pressure thingy stopping turbo oil leaks ?

• 4 years later...

Wow, going back and re-reading this thread was a blast from the past. What lovely memories.

Anyway.

This car will be going up for sale soon! If anyone here might be interested in something extremely rare and special.

Prices are insane and fluctuate wildly, some people are asking for £30k for low mileage ones.

Will likely put it up on Pistonheads for around £9k. It is well looked after and will come with a clean 12 months MOT.