Ford Sierra-Another years MOT.

Stevebrookman

Hello all,

As there seem to be a few Sierras on the shite at the moment-I thought I had better post mine.

It's a 93 2.0GLXi auto.

It was bought by my father in 2000 and became mine and my brothers when he died in 2004. It had previously been owned by my Uncle for 4 years and prior to that my fathers friend bought it new-so it has been known all it's life. In very good condition for the year-the rear arches will need a little attention soon. It's used a few days a week.

sierra5_zpsfjun8gkn.jpg

sierra4_zpsl81tlyuz.jpg

sierra3_zpsmmiqq8id.jpg

sierra2_zpssrwkfinx.jpg

sierra1_zps4fsk9oxm.jpg

The eagle eyed of you may have spotted my Royale in the background-going extremely well apart from a seizing front strut.

Steve

It's ok with the autobox-it's not the smoothest by far (the box in my Royale is smoother)-but alright for day to day use.

Top is quite high and the car will comfortably cruise at 80mph where roads allow. It's comfortable and quiet. It's good on juice-around the doors it does about 28mpg-on longer runs I've had 39mpg out of it (brim-to-brim refuelling).

It's had two small bits of welding done over the years and we changed the original front discs last year. Radio has stopped working so will have to investigate!

The car is from Cox's Ford in Leicester originally-still have the original plates in the garage.

Regards

Steve.

Great car, so this is June 92 build. I've just been reading up and last Sierras were produced as late as December 92 apparently.

On Christmas Eve 1992 Mrs N crashed a brand new Sapphire 1.8i GLX , she lost it on a bend in Ridgmont Bedfordshire and managed to crack both bumpers, one on a post and one on the wall of Woburn Abbey.

It was a fleet demonstrator that Ford had put into where I worked for 3 months, It was a lovely light metallic blue and the only 1.8 with a cat that I remember ever seeing.

The thing was cursed as in the February it was stolen and stripped a couple of days before It was due to be collected.

I found the I4 engine to be somewhat coarse and thrashy and not as nice as a pinto.

The one I had was noisy at motorway speeds,despite lowish mileage and new timing chains and tensioners.

Thanks all,

I agree Bren-the engine is gruff compared to a pinto but when in top is quiet.

It is good on juice-Father had a y reg Sierra 2.0 manual years ago-it struggled to get 25 on a run.

I'm going to pump a bit more Dinotrol into it in the summer and will look at having the arches done.

Regards

Steve

• 1 month later...

Afternoon all,

Had a rear caliper sticking on the old Sierra so decided to change the pads. Got my winding back tool kit out and proceeded. Took the pads out-they had a bout a mm left.

Now the fun started. Haven't changed the read pads on a Sierra or Granada for years. Put my wind back tool in and wound back the calipers. Then couldn't remove the wind back tool. Couldn't work out why-so eventually after much huffing and puffing cut one of the parts off with my angle grinder. Soon as I had it off I remembered I should have wound in the outer sleeve-luckily had a spare winder-what a dick!

The other side caliper took a lot of force to start to wind it back in and the sliding pin was stuck-now all sorted-but what a knob I am!

Steve

• 1 month later...

The calliper was still sticking badly so I bought another one. The only thing in my way was undoing the brake pipes and disconnecting the handbrake cable. Brake pipes came off relatively easily. HBOL said simply to unhook the brake cable from the calliper. After an hour I cut a piece of the hook on the calliper off. Put new calliper on attached pipes then tried to put on the brake cable. According to the HBOL it simply said to hook the cable over. After another hour the cable end snapped-oh dear I thought.

Still the car drives much better. The MOT is due in a few weeks so will get the garage to fit a new cable - it was over22 years old.

Luckily the car is an automatic so don't generally use the brake.

Onwards and upwards!

Steve

• 4 months later...

Latest news!

Had the MOT done in July-needed the rear end of the sills welding-£200 so not bad.

Took it to Telford yesterday on my fruitless Royale viewing.

98 miles up from Blackwood , through Hereford to Telford via the nice A49 and finally about 20 miles of looping up and down country lanes. Decided to come back on the motorway-M58, M6, M5 M50-132 miles.

Old Sierra behaved impeccably-70/80 on the motorway is a lovely cruising speed. The old torquey twin cam and auto box were also ideal for the country lanes. 

Averaged 35mpg as well- so all good (apart from the Royale!).

Steve