End of the Line?

Jerzy Woking

So the Ultra Low Emission Zone comes into effect In London on 01.01.2020, which will be the same as the Congestion Charge Zone, but will operate 24/7 all year. And is in addition to the Congestion charge.

I work a few hundred yards within it, and not one of my cars or bikes that I use to commute will be exempt. So I'll have to sell them all, and by some younger shite which I really don't want to do.

Maybe if they didn't have thousands of cars stuck for hours pumping out fumes whilst the Cycle Superhighway is built, London would be less polluted.

Here is the link that give all the bad news (for some).

https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/ultra-low-emission-zone#on-this-page-0

Vehicles built before 1 January 1973 will also be exempt from ULEZ. These vehicles were built

before emissions standards came into force and are exempted because of their unsuitability for

engine conversion or replacement.

You could use that as an excuse to buy an older car, I reckon.

"Hello, is that the company that do the emissions conversions? Yes I'd like a quote to get my car converted to Euro 6."

"No problem mate what car is it?"

"It's a 1982 Ford Econoline diesel. The 6.7l V8? Da Gubbermint said you can convert it. Hello?...... hello-o?"

To be fair, I've had times working in London and outside London. Every time I go back there for a few days my lungs make me feel like a 40 a day smoker if you walk anywhere. Our air quality is generally a bit shit.

To be fair, I've had times working in London and outside London. Every time I go back there for a few days my lungs make me feel like a 40 a day smoker if you walk anywhere. Our air quality is generally a bit shit.

This is true, but it's not down to all the 1970s and 80s cars.

It's London's loss.  Coming soon to a crusher near you:

12239244376_ca6b441a96_n.jpg12239472586_e079203afd_n.jpg

12239247996_ea8b6be97e_n.jpg12238850643_794f9864f7_n.jpg

12238895235_5881f7c8d9_n.jpg6613221927_3b4fa4b3a4_n.jpg

All spotted inside the ULEZ - never to be seen there again.  

Also, does this mean Breadvan will have to get a Kia on finance for when he drives to chambers?

Edit:  Not these, these will be allowed:

14396136436_7ded652a36_n.jpg19018034744_1e2d31be51_n.jpg

Don't get too jolly, I'm sure Manchester, Leeds, Birmingham, Bristol etc etc will bring it in eventually.

And I wouldn't want to live in any of those either. In fact the only city I would even consider living in is Rome and then only because the locals are so crazy it's free entertainment 24/7.

Balancing transport in a city as large as London is never going to be easy.   Stuff needs to  be spread around a bit and that includes people and jobs.  I never understand why so much commerce takes place in concentrated areas given the advent of Internettage.   I go there often enough to be concerned about restrictions but this one doesn't seem too draconian.

Don't get too jolly, I'm sure Manchester, Leeds, Birmingham, Bristol etc etc will bring it in eventually.

... Ha! NOT Newcastle. Our buses have got patches to wean them off 'Navy Cut'.... No poxxy wimp 'Vappinn' gas Hybrids around here.*

*Stagecoach trialled two and they got fu**ed over by a couple of hairy Atlanteans....

TS

Yep, London is one of the best places in the country to spot old tat parked out on the street, and overnight it's going to become a barren shite wasteland like Dublin or whatever. 

I must admit, I was most worried about the grey grill Sierra succumbing to the ULEZ - at least that one has survived.

TfL buses

As part of the ULEZ, we are taking extra steps to reduce emissions from our buses and to increase the number of zero emission capable vehicles.

By 2020, all double-decker TfL buses operating in central London will be hybrid and all single-decker buses will be zero emission (at point of use). This means a substantial number of double-decker buses operating in inner London will be hybrid, as will many in outer London

We will progressively increase the number of these buses. From 2020 only buses of this type will be allowed to operate on routes in the ULEZ

Looks like the Routemaster may finally be coming to the end of the road then.  Unless they convert them to hybrid power, but I can't see that being feasible in a design that age.

Was going to say, don't Routemasters come under the 1973 rule? and anyway there's a good case. Correct in saying the fleet in active service in London is in single figures.

Also, Manchester's previously had a congestion charge vote, and we rejected it.

Instead TfGM got given a life-size toy trainset in the form of a big bag of cash to spend on trams. Some people use them, but for many there are cheaper, faster ways to get around as the tram fares are higher than all the equivalent bus or train fares. Depends if you can afford the convenience. Oh wait, nobody can, because most of the tram routes serve low income areas, and/or places already well served by other means of transport. It's mainly people with free passes/season tickets/no choice that use trams.

All this means the whole city has been a giant fucking building site for the last 7 years or something. Council moved a bloody cenotaph to make room for more tram platforms in one place FFS.

In one case TfGM told Stagecoach Manchester to run less buses along one of their routes, because they'd built a tram line right down the bus route... and then the trams get priority at all the traffic lights etc too. Ugh.

They also make the city absolutely impossible to navigate by making basically everywhere you'd actually want to go a buses/taxis/cycles only restriction, and you have to fuck about in one way systems trying not to run idiots over to get anywhere.

There's no point - they'll find a way to make life hell for motorists whatever happens.

I already can't take my 99 Mercedes into plenty of German cities. It's Euro 3, which ain't clean enough for a dirty diesel. Euro 1 is fine for petrol - which is fair enough.

I know some councils are already on about getting rid of diesel private hire cars. They're already insisting on Euro 5.