Cherry, Cherry baby

Ratdat

I have a perverse liking for for the N12 Nissan Cherry so it seems natural that the Autoshite bike should find it's way chez ratdat for some lovin'. We went off down to catsinthewelders gaff armed with a Prairie and A-frame but it turned out that the Cherry's lack of cog action was actually due to the engine mount and stabaliser braket coming adrift from the back of the engine. One bolt had sheared off but thanfully there were still three functional threads so a bit of jacking and fiddling with bolts saw it bolted back into position. Ar this point all the gears were available but the gearshift was really stiff. I guessed that maybe the engine dropping down a bit had bent something but regardless... it was a goes so no need for A-frame action.

DSC02664.jpg

The drive home was pretty uneventful but gave me some time to evaluate the Cherry and it's needs. First to sort... the gear change which was awful. There a bit of wheel bearing noise, especially left hand front and it seems well down on power. I've had a 1.3 GS before and I don't remember it being particularly lethargic like this one. Back at chez ratdat in all it's oxidised glory...

DSC02665.jpg

I wanted to deal with the gear change issue right away. On inspection I couldn't see any damage so I pulled it apart and foun d that the pivot at the bottom of the gearstick had seized up! I used a bit of emery to clean it up, lubed it with some moly greased and boshed it back together to find the change was now silky smooth how it should be. Result!

DSC02669.jpg

DSC02670.jpg

Next up I gave the interior a clean. I'll get a vax on the seats at some point as they could do with it but it's actually looking quite tidy inside...

DSC02666.jpg

DSC02697.jpg

I swapped the radio and facia for one from my Cherry Europe parts car as the original didn't work. I've never had one of these with the optional cassette player before. The radio produces sound from a lonely mono speaker under the passenger side of the dash but the cassette does so via the wonders of stereo speakers in the rear side panels (apart from one not working). An odd setup to say the least.

Now for added shinyness. The bonnet was so matt I did wonder if it had been painted matt deliberately but a battering with the polishing mop restored the shine, although the paint is a bit sad.

I had some very 80's wheels in the shed so I got busy with the levers Mr.bollox-style and popped some tyres onto them.

DSC02696.jpg

I like cherrys although I've only had a turbo one and it was quite lively, what are the 1500s like for every day performance

I've no idea to be honest as I've only had E13 powered ones. I had a B12 Sunny once with an E16 which felt very torquey but had no go above about 4000rpm. I'd guess an E15 is probably better than an E16.

I couldn't resist drilling some holes in it.

DSC02692.jpg

And some more.

DSC02691.jpg

Et voila! I've had this sitting in my shed for years just waiting for the right car. I bought it (from a guy in Greece!) as a replacement Cherry Europe one but although exactly the same style, it has 'Nissan N12' written on it which obviously isn't really right for a Europe (which isn't an N12 model... it's a 920. confused yet?)

DSC02698.jpg

Next on the agenda is to pull the box out to deal with the broken bolt and sort the front wheel bearings. I reckon it could do with some rear trailing arm bushes too as they seem to have a lot of flex in them. And the exhaust is blowing a bit but it looks pretty new so I'm guessing it's a leaking joint.

More N12 lovin' soon. Meanwhile here's Neil Diamond singing about his favourite car in 1976.

For gods sake straighten that 50th badge up - its doing my OCD in.

11780226763_4d6188c3ed_z.jpg

Nice to see the old bus getting some lovin'

I have done away with ye olde 50th anniversary badge for now. I've put it with my collection (two red ones and a black one... just need a blue one now)

I'm so glad this has stayed within the Faaaaaaaaaaaamly.  Especially now, as it's obviously getting the loving it deserves.  It was a joy to drive when I had it.  Lethargic?  Not a word I would have used!  It felt positively sprightly!  Good luck with it :)

I'm so glad this has stayed within the Faaaaaaaaaaaamly.  Especially now, as it's obviously getting the loving it deserves.  It was a joy to drive when I had it.  Lethargic?  Not a word I would have used!  It felt positively sprightly!  Good luck with it :)

I think it just needs a bit of a service and checking over as these usually feel pretty nippy. This one does struggle up hills much more than it should, especially with a 4 speed and slightly smaller than stock rolling diameter wheels.

This brings back memories of college, as a mate had one - also D reg, in black. A somewhat unusual car for a 17 year old! He used to sometimes give me a lift, as I hadn't yet bought my Stellar at that point.

He wasn't the worlds best driver, and on one occasion drove straight off the road and into a ditch (fortunately fairly low speed) as he'd taken both hands off the wheel to light his pipe (which was also somewhat unusual for a 17 year old!)

I have done away with ye olde 50th anniversary badge for now. I've put it with my collection (two red ones and a black one... just need a blue one now)

My gran's B reg micra had a gold badge on it, but I can't recall what it said. She had an order in for a visa but for some reason the dealer saw a recently widowed lady as fair game and told her it wasn't coming so sold her the micra ( at almost twice the cost) instead. We were on holiday in France at the time ( I was 12) and I remember my dad being rather annoyed with both MIL and dealer. It was gold, but no idea of engine or trim level.

My gran's B reg micra had a gold badge on it, but I can't recall what it said. She had an order in for a visa but for some reason the dealer saw a recently widowed lady as fair game and told her it wasn't coming so sold her the micra ( at almost twice the cost) instead. We were on holiday in France at the time ( I was 12) and I remember my dad being rather annoyed with both MIL and dealer. It was gold, but no idea of engine or trim level.

Lol, a Micra is a bit of a different beast to a Visa! Wasn't a Micra Colette by any chance?

For the uninitiated, this is my 'other' Nissan Cherry Europe GTi which I may be able to resurect eventually using this N12 Cherry...

Picture302.jpg

It looks kind of ok in the pic above but here's why a need some major metal donated from an reasonably solid N12...

Picture337.jpg

It may seem crazy to even consider taking a grinder to the N12 but you have to remember that there's still a fair number of N12's about but there's are only TWO Cherry Europe GTi's left so if this one can be saved it'd be great to do so. Nothings for definite though and it'll be a long while yet before I'll tackle it so for now I'm just going to enjoy driving the N12 as is.

If it does happen then I'd like it to look something like this...

alfa_arna_d_image_photo_leader.jpg