The Autoshite holy grail is now one of us!

trigger

This sort of thing inspires me not to worry about the cosmetics of my Xantia.

It drives spot-on, who cares how it looks?!

It was great to see the Base at Shitefest, and it's still great to see it stretching its legs!

Likewise my 600. I was going to wash it today, but there's really not much point. The paint on the offside rear wing is bloody awful, and the entire car is COVERED in scratches, with a few dents mixed in too. Today is not the day to start stressing about cosmetics.

post-3910-0-26167900-1473246750_thumb.jpg

On Merseyside there's a big market in stolen grey grilles. This poor fucker parked his 1300 base outside of Home And Bargain for less than five minutes and some twat had off with his. Here he is trying to appeal to the local scallies to return it ASAP.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This thread was an epic read and reminds once again why I could never sell my own 80s pov-spec base model. Everything from the Sierra's Flickr fame, the heroic joint rescue mission, heartwarming friendship tales...just, wow. 

The road trips to locations that haven't changed since the Sierra's heyday......and yes people can lob hate but a car like this is much more likely to be part of people's memories than the halo models, and how many have come up to you and said 'my dad/uncle/mum had one' or spent hours in the back of a Sierra as a kid (my father ran 2 estates as company cars)? I know Cossies have their idiotic stans (yes that's pop culture lingo...it exists in car circles too, the We Love 1980s Cars group on Facebook can be a facepalm-fest sometimes 'mate nothings faster than a cossie' etc) but you can't deny the Sierra is a modern classic. A bit of street scenery that evokes 1990s sitcoms and dramas and something we took for granted. It's why I still drive a pushrod Nova!

I noticed that one of you took it to a garage in Gamlingay which is my neck of the woods (Cambridge). This now means I have to go and visit the holy grail sometime.

In my recently unearthed treasure trove of brochures and magazines I've discovered a launch brochure for the Sierra- Man and Machine In Perfect Harmony.

Interestingly it refers to non-estate car Sierras as saloons which is a tad confusing, anyway the brochure is a little dog-eared and damp, so really should be with the Base.

If someone wants to pm me an address for whoever the current custodian is, I'll stick it in the post, probably with an appropriate Ford Cars all model catalogue too, as I seem to have most of them .

I noticed that one of you took it to a garage in Gamlingay which is my neck of the woods (Cambridge). This now means I have to go and visit the holy grail sometime.

Hey! That's me.  I'm just outside Cambourne if you fancy a mug of builders and a mint viscount at some stage?

In my recently unearthed treasure trove of brochures and magazines I've discovered a launch brochure for the Sierra- Man and Machine In Perfect Harmony.

Interestingly it refers to non-estate car Sierras as saloons which is a tad confusing, anyway the brochure is a little dog-eared and damp, so really should be with the Base.

If someone wants to pm me an address for whoever the current custodian is, I'll stick it in the post, probably with an appropriate Ford Cars all model catalogue too, as I seem to have most of them .

Car will be back with me at the end of this week after a 4 month sabattical with AngryDicky.  I'll PM my address over, as it's a massively generous offer and gesture.  Thanks a million.

Hey! That's me.  I'm just outside Cambourne if you fancy a mug of builders and a mint viscount at some stage?

Car will be back with me at the end of this week after a 4 month sabattical with AngryDicky.  I'll PM my address over, as it's a massively generous offer and gesture.  Thanks a million.

OK I will take you up on that....meeting a fellow AS'er and seeing the Grail in the metal? Sounds like a day out to me. I can drive up in my own 80s base model.

When Mr Identity gets home from work he'll have a surprise in the shape of the world's most knackered Sierra waiting for him on his driveway!

I'm going to miss the old bus. It's been a very faithful servant to me - I've averaged 1000 miles a month in the time I've had it and it's never let me down. 

Just one amusing anecdote to add.

I have somehow managed to land myself a job working alongside Barrett of this parish at a well-regarded old car magazine in Sussex. I'm currently working part time, two days a week with possible future potential for more hours. Anyway, the magazine arranged a B&B for me so I could stay overnight rather than drive home then back again in the morning, along the horrible M25 at rush hour. So, this 'B&B' turned out to be a posh Surrey golf club hotel. Parked the Sierra in the car park and switched the interior light on while I got my things together to take into the hotel. You can see where this is going...

Come the morning, I opened the car, got in, turned the key and CLUNK. Shit, I thought as I flicked the interior light back to courtesy! Bear in mind this was 8:45, I had 15 minutes to get into the office and didn't have a set of jump leads with me. There were also quite a few wealthy looking golfers milling around, some standing on the edge of the green, propping up their trolleys and showing off their fetching jumpers. There was nothing for it. I managed to push the car backwards and up the slight incline in the car park, before rolling it back down and trying to get enough momentum for a bump start. When I lifted the clutch up for the second time and it lurched into life, my feelings of despair turned to sheer joy and amusement at the look on the faces of the golfers who were watching me!

Despite getting lost, I actually made it into the office before anyone else did :D

So pleased to have "Emma" home it's unreal. The distinctive smell, the bamboo effect steering wheel cover and dirty great dent in the door really have been missed.

Hibernation is top of the agenda... hence the sell up of other cars. We are a little concerned that the head gasket might want replacing, but with other jobs like the belts and thermostat needing attention it might just be that a few of us need to attack it.

Any offers of help in Cambridge? It'd be good to save on labour if possible...but there is a massive ford anorak in the next village who runs a garage.