The Autoshite holy grail is now one of us!

trigger

Would you believe I'm actually touring around the West Country in the Base at the moment! The trip was planned in the Maestro, but on the day I was due to leave, I had problems with both it and the Somerset so had to take the Sierra out of necessity more than anything!

Currently camping near Camelford, Cornwall. Newquay later today, then Land's End on Saturday hopefully!

Problems so far: the bonnet catch jammed and the cable jumped off so I couldn't open it. A friend managed to manipulate the lever from underneath with a screwdriver but there were marks where it had obviously happened before. It's got a fair thirst for oil, but over 400 miles covered so far.

Unfortunately the base overheated climbing a steep hill near Porlock. The temp gauge is not accurate at all! The heater has always been shit so I'll give the cooling system a good flush out and refill when I get home. Apart from that, the old girl is running well, touch wood.

Does anyone know of a decent old-school motor factors in Cornwall? I could do with a pair of wiper blades as they're shit and it's been raining loads, a tin of grease and a pair of lower arms as they really are knackered.

Tonight, I plan to stop at the most dated looking hotel in Newquay along with my friends witha Rover P6 and Wolselely Six. There was a second P6 (a fantastically tatty Tobacco Leaf 3500S) but unfortunately the oil pump failed in Somerset and the car has been recovered back to Essex while its owner continues the journey as a passenger.

Will upload some pictures when I get back, as the internet signal is hopeless out here.

I'm in Cornwall, but TwoSmoke is slightly closer and will have better access to trade suppliers, and he'll know what he is doing!

Same applies here. Im in mid Cornwall and my nearest motor factors is ok, but not particularly old school.

Have you got an app so we can track this thing, a bit like the ISS?

Theres a classic car show in Padstow near Newquay, reckon we can push the base there?

Seriously though, I have trade discount at Mill Auto Supplies, they're open tomorrow and we're heading to the classic show, so if you need something from there, or even need any tools, PM me, I'm off all weekend.

post-5335-0-54659000-1467830981_thumb.jpg

Original artwork to go to whomever seems most appropriate, free of charge.

A4 Prints available for a minimum donation of £3 with all profits going into the BBB fund.  Price includes postage within the UK though I would ask for an extra quid if I'm posting prints abroad.

I viewed this hallowed vehicle at Shitefest,despite the reports that it looked worse in the metal than in photographs I thought it looked ok.

Dicky looked at me like I was MENTAL when I said the same to him. I was pleasantly surprised at how good it looked as I was expecting a total shitbox.

It drove surprisingly well too.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I saw this very car parked at ASDA in Shoebury a couple of days ago and did an enormous double take, not only because it was a Y-reg Sierra, but also because it was THAT Y-reg Sierra! :-D

Seeing it and subsequently finding out that it is now in the hands of Shiters has made decide to return to the Autoshite fold after several months of absence*, which can only be a good thing in my book. Well done to everyone involved in its purchase and continued presence on our roads 8)

*A longish story involving borked cars and mild depression exacerbated by said borked cars. I'll just say at this juncture that I'm now on my third Saab 9-5 estate...

Welcome back Shep! Yep, I've been taking the Sierra to work recently, and why not? I've always been of the mindset that a shit job is automatically improved by driving to and from it in an interesting old car.

It's been getting a lot of attention parked outside, more than the Somerset and Maestro do. Probably because Ford. 

You're not the only person to have spotted it! I got sent this photo today actually.

post-3865-0-08855000-1468103121_thumb.jpg

I still need to do a proper update of the West Country trip. Will get cracking with that.

Welcome back Shep! Yep, I've been taking the Sierra to work recently, and why not? I've always been of the mindset that a shit job is automatically improved by driving to and from it in an interesting old car.

That's one of the reasons why I drive a friendly old Volvo estate/scary old Saab estate and not a shopping trolley/soundproof dustbin that the majority of my co-workers choose to drive ;)

Pawnote: I drove to ASDA this afternoon with the sole intention of getting a photo of The Volvo and the Sierra together, but the latter car wasn't there :(

• 4 weeks later...

Sadly, this thread has lost AngryDicky's write-up of his trip round the West Country that was sponsored by Little Chef, which was a strong contender for Post of the Year as far as I'm concerned.

Meanwhile, we also won some NOS dangly mirrors on eBay - one of the ones on the car folds in at motorway speed and they're both a bit, well, greenish.

The new ones arrived at Skizzer Global HQ yesterday, buried deep inside a giant matryoshka doll of cardboard, foam and bubble wrap:

post-4091-0-56579300-1470167146_thumb.jpeg

They are absolutely showroom fresh. Disaster ;-)

Quick. Get them out in the infamous Welsh Wales weather for a few seasons.

It was mainly AngryDicky's road trip that I was upset to see lost in "The Great Autoshite rollback of 2016". Hopefully it's elsewhere on a private blog where it can just be copied and pasted into here later.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk