The Autoshite holy grail is now one of us!

trigger

And some welding by the look of it

nearside Registration plate lamp not working (1.1.C.1d)

offside Rear position lamp(s) not working (1.1.A.3b)

offside Stop lamp not working (1.2.1b)

Rear fog lamp not working (1.3.2b)

nearside Headlamp not working on dipped beam (1.7.5a)

nearside Windscreen wiper does not clear the windscreen effectively (8.2.2)

nearside rear Body or chassis has excessive corrosion, seriously affecting its strength within 30cm of the body mountings (6.1.B.2)

offside rear Body or chassis has excessive corrosion, seriously affecting its strength within 30cm of the body mountings 2 areas inside rear arch (6.1.B.2)

offside Body or chassis has excessive corrosion, seriously affecting its strength within 30cm of the body mountings 2 areas on outer sills (6.1.B.2)

Exhaust emissions hydrocarbon content excessive (7.3.B.1b)

That was the MOT from 1992. What did it fail on this time?

"I'm looking at the Base in the Mirror"

attachicon.gif20160602_100918.jpg

Plan currently being hatched to make it go again.

Do those guys need that massive mirror? If not, take it - stick it underneath the Base at Ford shows to display its glorious underside, you know, like they do with Cosworths.

Do those guys need that massive mirror? If not, take it - stick it underneath the Base at Ford shows to display its glorious underside, you know, like they do with Cosworths.

Whilst I admire the blood sweat and tears that goes into making those cars so beautiful underneath, it's not for me I like driving too much to worry about getting the mechanicals dirty

Hopefully it won't take too much to see it right, looks like it'll benefit massively from just being serviced, never mind anything else.

Well, alright, mind the rust but that's par for the course.

Despite my somewhat casual interest in car valeting in general, I'm currently only just resisting the temptation to find out where it is being stored, drive for hours to get to it and go to town on it with the polish, poor thing doesn't look like it's ever seen a coat of wax!

• 2 weeks later...

That went pretty well.

ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED: Ignition system. I know this sounds pathetic, but I've never done any of this shizzle before. Cap came off and did it with the leads still on. It was cracked AF.Replaced rotor arm which was definitely Best Before Thatcher.

post-19618-0-80664200-1465667195_thumb.jpgpost-19618-0-29925800-1465667231_thumb.jpg

Very satisfying really... only fight was getting the clips back over the cap.

Oil changed... first time I've had to use a wrench to remove a filter. (Do garages compete with each other to see just how fucking tight they can attach them?) Also managed to bin about a pint of oil on my drive because it practically ejaculated once the plug had fallen in the bucket. Obviously.

Annoyingly I couldn't find a spark plug wrench or anything that's similar, so Richard I'll ask you to do them next week with the Rocker Gasket.

Running much nicer now fo sho.

He sounded like an interesting chap on the phone. He was very happy we were saving and preserving a base model, as most of the world seems only to care about XR4s and Cosworths (or replicas thereof) and he hates them.

He wanted an explanation of why you were doing it! Didn't quite understand how it would work

So. Whilst I humbly (but proudly) accept the title of "Sierra Saver" - I was just that. The guy who fetched it and kept it. The car's salvation shows himself in a different form.

And so, this afternoon, the car begins its literal journey to Essex and its metaphorical journey to former glory. Angry Dicky is taking on welding duties in a bid to get the car to ShiteFest.

T-Minus 35 minutes until blast off.

In the meantime... in order to try and prevent a tug from the long arm of the law... I've had a go at the "lighting rig". Everything is fixed with replacement bulbs and a small bit of violence.

post-19618-0-87558200-1465918172_thumb.jpg

post-19618-0-48030900-1465918191_thumb.jpg

I've worked out why a lot of people on the Ford scene have a low IQ. They are beautifully easy to work on. I'm thick as mince but managed to keep all knuckles and skin and do it in about 4 minutes.

Delivery.... SOON