UPDATE 31.08.20 Save Val! '71 coach Ex Sam Glover/Edd China + related questions...

Dick Longbridge

4 minutes ago, beko1987 said:

It was only a little bit damp as I recall?

Bit of an understatement! I remember having to build momentum to get through the mud pit at the entrance.

Then somewhere at a motorway services I pulled in due to a death wobble above 60 and knocked several kg of mud out of the inner rims of the xantia's front wheels!

2 hours ago, Supernaut said:

Bit of an understatement! I remember having to build momentum to get through the mud pit at the entrance.

Then somewhere at a motorway services I pulled in due to a death wobble above 60 and knocked several kg of mud out of the inner rims of the xantia's front wheels!

I escaped quite well. Then pulled out of the lane into the village and made a hard right turn and the wheel caught the passenger arch liner that had been smashed out with the mud! Pushed it back in and carried on home.

• 2 years later...
On 29/03/2016 at 14:14, Six-cylinder said:

Oh, I just love that but don't know enough about them to take it on by myself. I would love to be a partner with other more knowledgeable Autoshiters?

On 31/08/2020 at 23:31, Zelandeth said:

I really wish someone in this corner of the world I actually know would get involved in something like this as I deeply miss getting to mess around with them back up north...

Suspension on these is pretty squidgy so I'm sure it would handle the field just fine (so long as it's bone dry...you do NOT want to have to drag a coach out of a muddy field).

im just going to bring these 2 posts from this thread together, for no particular reason at all...

26 minutes ago, worldofceri said:

Came across this today. Sadly it looks like absolutely nothing has been done with it.

66163A96-0DF4-49FE-89D9-69B307A5674F.thumb.jpeg.7925f61140822caff6d33eaaa126e944.jpeg
BEC23DE2-F892-4C1A-BCBF-4CF66192507E.thumb.jpeg.3f325244fa6d98ecd65c58c34114a886.jpeg

What a damn shame.

The fella bought it for <£700 a few years ago. Apparently the rear diff is worth good money. I wonder what the owner actually intends to do with the old girl? 

"I'll restore it one day..." Probably.

Massive project there...hundreds if not thousands of hours of work to sort the bodywork out even before you've looked at the mechanicals which comparatively should be simple... comparatively being the word.

They weren't exactly known for being rot resistant even when they were current...never mind having been left sitting outside for years.

Oh for a lottery win...because you can be absolutely bloody sure if I had the cash to rent suitable accommodation for one and to keep on top of maintenance I'd have one.

To be fair, I do have half a plan still to get one one day - but it would come after a significant fleet reduction in recognition of the commitment in both time and money terms (especially keeping in mind you're talking about basically buying an entire new set of tools too) it would be.  Oh...after we've resolved the whole "where do you put one" problem.

It wouldn't be anywhere near that much of a project though.  In fact it's one of those cases where I'd really not be looking for a project... keeping on top of things on a vehicle that size is enough of a challenge as it is.