Buried Treasure

55bloke

Having been directed by a friend, i have just been viewing www.buriedcar.com It seems that, as part of their Golden Jubilee celebrations, on June 15th 1957, the good folk of Tulsa buried a time capsule, to be dug-up on the same date in 2007. Supposed to give the 21st century folk a feel for what life was like in '57. (Suppose it never occurred to them that we would all be pretty clued-up on mid fifties Americana, thanks to TV and cinema) Anyway, amongst the delights to be dug up in few short months is a then-brand-new Plymouth Belvedere. Wonder what they will do with it?

It did cross my mind that they might be digging up a pile of rust, but in the dry heat of the Southern States, I doubt it will be a problem. Rat-chewed upholstery and siezed mechanicals may well be though- I bet there are much better examples cruising the streets of most American cities.

The fate of the Belvedere is in one of the links.There was a competition to guess how many people were going to be living in Tulsa in 2007....All entires were recorded on microfilm and sealed in a safe in the car. The person who guessed the closest wins the car.Imagine if the car WAS a pile of rust................Would you apply for a governmet grant to restore it as it was a National/local treasure??Bet it won't start straight away............They even buried fuel and oil for it.........Obviously expected fossil fuels to be a thing of the past and we were all in our electric/nuclear flying vehicles............

• 4 months later...

I don't think anyone had even heard of underseal in '50s America, had they? If you look at the original website, there's a load of pis of the car as it was dug up, and it looks pretty much ruined!! The rear suspension seems to have collapsed, and the interior and engine bay are a mess. Feel sorry for whoever had the winning ticket, looking forward to a gleaming classic American, and ending up with this mess!! :shock:

• 3 months later...

From what i can see, they only plan to get it to a state where it doesnt deteriorate any further, and get the engine running and the lights working.Boyd Coddington offered to do a full resto on it but thats been declined. Probably just as well... theres nothing on whats left of the car thats useable i dont think. I fear that the whole thing will just disintegrate if they dip it in de rusting stuff.. it doesnt look like theres much metal left