An LS400 Story.

17-Coffees

The Service price is £169. The Timing is £450 for parts and labor at Toyota. :) 

Not too bad, was expecting around £500 for it, so to be getting it done at the dealer(Well, Toyota...but do serving, etc and such for Lexus in the area) where they should have all the information at there finger tips is't bad in my eyes. 

Funny, when booking it in was offered the basic service or the Lexus one. Was tempted by the Lexus one until I was told the price...£400-odd. As much as I'm waning to treat the car well, but that's silly money to spend on a 16 year old car for a service in my eyes! 

Mason was on proper cambelt roulette (and was sold on with this information imparted!) - last and only documented change in the year 2000 at 65k.

The Lexus owner's club has a few people on there who are on original cambelts after 160 to 170k (fish-this-big I suppose), although with Lexus over-engineering the LS400 to hilarious levels it wouldn't surprise me.

I've seen people on the US pages saying how up to 300,000 miles can be done on the original belt! Would't try it myself but due to the over engineering I could see it being true.

Waiting to see if I get any comments from the garage tomorrow, be it "No had one in a while" or "Thats loud"...doubt it though, expecting mope to be told "The works been done but I'd recommend doing X,Y,Z to it as well".

@Fotrabi: That one looks in great condition! Them wheels look to be off a mid 2000's Lexus, and personally think they'd suit mine well! :D

Have the car back, 2 days later than planned...

Ended up getting a few other jobs done while at Toyota, admittedly stuff I knew needed done but was "will do until it REALLY needs done". (I.E, meaning Im waiting for the AA...) 

So the service and timing were done, along with the rear diff seal (been leaking for a while), the track rod ends and water pump. Was a bit spectacle about the water pump, but mileage wise i'm in the period where it'll likely go anyway, and you need to remove the timing belt to access it. So decided why not. 

I told them not to remove the KN filter I'd installed, and to re-attach or remove the rear heat shield due to it hanging off. And both wish's were kept! On top of that, cleaned the car inside & out! 

May sound weird how I'm surprised about this, but Toyota Aberdeen is Arnold Clark...my guess is Toyota actually keep them in check. 

The bad thing was of course, I was paying for genuine Lexus parts, so my wallet took a fair pounding....costing more than I paid for the car! 

Next job to be done is fitting a new alternator belt, which they did try and flog me. But at £160 for the part & fitting, it was a nope. Considering I can get the part for £20 and fit it myself no problems. 

And this weekend will be the first long distance trip in a while, down to Edinburgh for the Gumball 3000, stopping in at Crail on the way down.

Aiming to hit a sub-15 1/4 mile! :D

Off hand, was about £400 - 450 for each timing & pump, plus fitting, and as far as I know the tensioner was done as well.

Oddly, I could't get hold of a kit if I ordered it from Toyota/Lexus as sold it as separate parts, rather than a whole kit. I was quoted around £250 for that. I was originally went to Toyota Aberdeen to see about getting the filters and timing kit, then getting another garage to do it but decided to take a punt with seeing how much they'd charge for the work, and was happy with what I was quoted. 
​Even made sure that it was actual Toyota/Lexus used, and not paying for cheappo chinesium ones, so although I've spent alot, I'm not too fussed about it.

I remembered today to check and see if it'd been stamped, never cared before for it but seeing as was at a dealership I wanted it. Turns out they had not! My guess is they looked in the glove box, seen nothing and though "It's an old car, likely lost it". But, all the documents & manual are kept in a case that slots under the passenger seat! Went back and asked and more than happy to do it. 

Expected a Toyota one, but turns out Aberdeen Toyota are a Lexus service center, so got a Lexus one! :D

e9PNtxT.jpg

The car actually has FSH, with the biggest gap being the last service before this (about 16,000 miles), and half of it being Lexus stamps. 

The next thing is bodywork, a bad repair on the paint of the O/S wing, as well as repair where said wing meets the front bumper and dealing with the rust that's starting to forum along the top of the roof where it meet's the windscreen. Got a quote and happy with it, just need to wait for the money to build up again from the pounding the wallet took from the work I just got done. 

• 1 month later...

Quick update!

As some of you may have seen in 'News 24', I've prepped the car to what I call "Cross Continent" spec, which is what It'll be running for the trip to Shitefest! :D

So what does this consist of? 

Well firstly, it's a 500 mile trip and i'll be on my own in the car, so me & Supernaut got CB radios to annoy keep in touch with each other while on the road...

KuEwBK2.jpg

NxdZwWI.jpg

Because the car is so well built, I sadly can't have the wires running from the boot and into the car! So that's why the antenna is mounted off-set to the left of the car. I Could still boot mount it and have the wire running along the boot & into the door, but would't look nice.

Second thing, in-Car Wi-Fi...

AsjsjNR.jpg

This little device is a 4G hotspot thing, meaning I can connect the tablet, laptop, toaster, etc to it. Was offered it for a stupidly low price from EE so took it. Means the 'Ol Barge keeps up to date with modern barges in the Tech spec's. 

Third thing, Cooler box...

p40r83E.jpg

This is a powered one with a fan & such. Plug's into the fag lighter, and will be plugged into one of the rear doors (Both doors have lighter & ashtray), meaning I can keep beer cool for the trip! And food...but mostly beer. 

And this is the rest...

seWu9GA.jpg

Toolbag, oil, mixed screen wash (Cherry scented) seat & Umbrella. They speak for themselves really.   :P

Not shown in the picture is a mini gas stove+ gas & 20Ltr Jerry can (Full).

Once the new disc's & pads are fitted, it'll just much away at the miles. 

I did have a proper look at the brakes today, first time in around a year...

All the disc's are fine other than the O/S/R, which if i was at work I'd replace. The Pads are all in the 'Could last a few months but...' stage. So due to the fact i have a full set of pads and i was board, i decided to change the front's. 

The park brake is at the stage of "It works if I stamp on the peddle & leave it in N" (unless it's a really steep hill, then P) , so not sure if to just do the entire rear brakes in one go (Discs, pads & shoes) or just change the pads and hope it's they clean  the O/S/R disc up. 

The first thing I drove after passing my test was a Mk1 LS400.  Quite an experience.  As a new driver I did find I got caught out with the speed because there's not really any sense of it and the peculiar way the suspension tightens up going into a corner so it grips better than you expect for such a large car.  I did find the stalks were annoying, I'd flash main beam at people coming off roundabouts instead of indicators so that must have made me look like a right cock.  Had trouble getting the seat just so too, there seemed to be not enough knee support.  Head room complaint also true and I'm not even 6' tall, I couldn't really wear a hat driving the Lexus because the sunroof was in the way, and the seats seemed very high in the car.  That said, they really are a lovely thing with a fit and finish that shouldn't be available for the price.  They've aged really well too, a little bland perhaps, but only the very early ones now look dated and are quickly looking classic.

Toyota got the LS400 very right for what it was, much more so than BMW, Mercedes or Jaguar (what I think of as their competitors) were managing at the same time.  BMWs felt cheaper, Jaguars felt shoddy and Mercedes seemed too austere in comparison to the Lexus.  I love that the LS400 exists but I don't think I could live with one, they're too modern feeling and far too nicely finished for me to really enjoy ownership.

• 1 year later...

Though'd finally get round to updating this...

So I'll continue from where I left off, which was getting ready to head to to Buckingham for Shitefest 2016!  :mrgreen:

It was the first proper long distance trip I'd done with the ol girl, but by golly she did it with no problems at all and in the utmost comfort of course. On the way down, i found out that it's big enough to be in two country's at the same time...

post-19988-0-89829800-1508705417_thumb.jpg

Was't too bad on fuel either, Two and a bit tanks did the job, reckon i'd have done it with just 2 though. About 60 miles from Buckingham the estimate range was too equal to how far we had left to go, and not knowing the road or possible traffic  decided to play safe and put some extra fuel in at astronomical motorway stop prices...

But we got there no problems in the end, and great fun was had by all that weekend!  :-)

post-19988-0-99300800-1508704748_thumb.jpg

A number of you met the ol girl, and indeed im sure alot of you will remember her for one reason mostly...

post-19988-0-66160000-1508705749_thumb.jpg

But she took it in stride, and know it can go mud pugging...another thing ticked off the list of "Im sure they designed it for that".

All she suffered was a slow puncture, which I got fixed when I got back to work.

The next big thing to happen was in Augest during one of the GLF Drag meet's, where I managed crack the sub 15 second 1/4 mile! 

post-19988-0-90279400-1508705719_thumb.jpg

Not bad, considering how it's running on mostly stock parts. I feel I'll have to see if 14.5 is possible...

Fast forward to November, She had been put in the sidelines due to having the Abarth back in early September and only getting the odd bit of use, but a long haul trip for my yearly pilgrimage to the NEC Classic car show and she was the car of choice. As expected she did the trip no bothers.

post-19988-0-76299100-1508706049_thumb.jpg

One thing of note is, I discovered how great a car it is at high speeds for long periods of time on that trip.

Over time, there had been a bit of brake shudder if you braked at speed, and I think the NEC trip was the final nail for them. I ordered a set of new brake disc & pads all round, which come November I got fitted...

post-19988-0-96554200-1508706205_thumb.jpg

Could't help but get fancy EBC disc's for the front. That cured the judder. 

Sadly, come December the writing was on the wall and I knew it was time to mothball her again due to space at the parents becoming an issue due to a new arrival (car wise) on there side. So come the 19th of December she was Mothballed again, just hours before I jetted off to Oregon, USA to spend 3 weeks with...another LS400. Oh.

post-19988-0-38533200-1508706415_thumb.jpg

Fast forward to July 2017, I'd just bought a house of my own and had space for my cars. This meant it was time to recommission her for service again. I'd not seen the car since I'd mothballed it, meaning I was worried if any problems would have developed in that time. Put the battery in and turned the key annnnnnnd....she fired up near enough right away! 

post-19988-0-79357600-1508706660_thumb.jpg

To be back to the command of such a fine machine was great, the comofrt, the power...the V8 sound!  8)

After a month of use and getting acquainted again things were going great, then suddenly one day as I was away to head to work I herd an odd noise that was't there the night before, the sound of something not right, It sounded as if a pulley was't right, a bearing on it way out. Oh cock. And to make things better* the battery discharge light was on. Double cock. 

That weekend i did a few tests, the battery is fine and the belt is drive belt is tight enough. My thoughts are its the alternator bearing is on its way out, causing the battery light to come on. 

post-19988-0-85927200-1508706930_thumb.jpg

And sadly that's where the story stays just now, her sitting in my driveway until i finally get round to fixing her.  :-(

To be continued...

Especially when you consider the half tank of fuel and three ton tool box in the boot.

I have experienced (as a passenger) what it's like with 4 people and an utterly full boot. There were worrying scraping noises from the exhaust...

I still get tiny pangs of regret about getting rid of Mason so quickly, especially seeing how well it's being looked after now!

• 2 months later...

Small update.

Having lost interest thanks to the developed problems, I was seriously considering getting rid of the old girl. But reading about how dull and drab the future of driving is likely to be it rekindled my want to have a big thirsty V8.

Having not been used in couple of months and the cold weather, the battery was flat. A day spent charging it, I hooked her up again and she fired away instantly but sadly the same problems as before. Pumped the tyres up a bit then went for a spin up and down the street a few times (living in a cul de sac has advantages) then left her in the driveway to idol.

I also got round to fitting a new pollen filter, having had it sitting around for months.

post-19988-0-34127300-1516562171_thumb.jpeg

Maybe was just a little overdue....

After than I went to get the 316’a battery and put that on charge. Then after 15 minuets I went to turn the LS off, I saw that lights on the dash were dim. Bugger. Turned her off and went to start her again and...nope. It wanted to but not enough battery. Double bugger.

Defeated, I took the battery out again and it’s charging as I type.

Good news is I’ve been told threw a club that it’s an easy enough alternator to replace without removing the front end. So it WILL be getting done. :D

post-19988-0-27416500-1516562372_thumb.jpeg

SOON!

• 8 months later...

Epic bump...

I got that board last weekend that I actually got round to removing the alternator at long last!

Much easier than some had made out, case of remove fan cowling, move a few coolant hoses out the road, belt off, P/Steering pump pulley to be removed, unbolt the alternator, fiddle about removing small nuts holding on some brackets, and then remove the plug, walah! 

post-19988-0-76476200-1539468046_thumb.jpg

Took me maybe 45 mins in all. 

I took a half hour brake in the middle of it because I placed a socket on top of the engine, it fell down and landed in the V, under the exhaust manifold...which is where the starter is. You can only access it threw from the O/S of the engine, and threw a small hole...

post-19988-0-45819400-1539468229_thumb.jpg

So 30 mins of fannying about with a long, flexy magnet and I finally got it. 

The bad news...

As suspected, the Power steering pump is leaking, right onto the alternator.So I'll be removing that 'soon' and hopefully its just a seal needing replaced.(which seems to be the common fault on the UCF21). Fingers crossed.

Sadly, it''l probably be near the end of the year before i actually get a new alternator due to going stateside again for two weeks and wanting to keep an eye on costs and such.

I do hope to have it back on the road before June next year, in time for my brothers wedding. 

I've just done exactly this job on my '92 Celsior, apparently not having a cooling fan fluid reservoir makes this job a little easier...

I managed to get my PS pump completely rebuilt by a very nice motorsport engineer on facebook, he didn't charge me a lot to do the job (since that wasnt really how he earns his salary) and I knew that absolutely everything was replaced and done 100% properly (which you dont know from Rockauto rebuilt ones, stuff like the main bearing could still be the old one). He even had the right bearing in his shop, something that Toyota charges you 32 quid for I think. The rebuild kit gaskets are even more overpriced from the dealer so I sent him a quality kit from Rockauto. All in all I probably paid 70% of the cheapest rebuilt one I could find and had it all done the way I wanted.

I rebuilt the alternator myself since it was dirt cheap and extremely easy with these Denso ones. I got the components on Autodoc and some random electronic car component website (?). You can read all about it in my thread on the Lexusownersclub forums. Part numbers for the pump components might be different.

https://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic/115643-my-first-lexus-1992-toyota-celsior-c-spec/?page=2&tab=comments#comment-1063736