Advice please! - bought a car registered as scrapped

Alfamale

N

I don't really get most of this.

So it's been listed as scrap, can't it be unscrapped?

If it can't why not? It's still a car and it can still go for an inspection or something so what's the problem?

If it definitely can't be then accidentally change it into another car :-)

No, officially once scrapped it stays scrapped - otherwise it would be a ringer's dream, a scrapyard basically turns into a purveyor of new identities. As shown, you can undo the marker - but it takes a friendly DVLA bod, a willing scrappy and lots of luck.

Write back to the DVLA with pictures of the car, chassis plate and copies of any paperwork telling them it's as large as life and to update their records. Failing that just punt on as a 'not for road use / offroad use only' sale, and some mud-plugging nut will have it for that.

Failing that, if it's solid, just ring the frigger with a terminally rotted example.

• 2 weeks later...

Update: it's all turned out reasonably OK. At first they were just claiming it was an error and it was sold as seen but offered £100 back as a gesture of good will.

However, after I quoted tnis advice:

The other problem here is that a CoD makes a car into controlled waste. Yards are not allowed to sell "destroyed" cars except to a licenced waste carrier so they could be in the shit with this one. As I mentioned though, mistakes do happen and can be rectified.

Suddenly a full refund was offered. The car has been returned this evening and the full price returned. So it turned out ok in the end but lessons have been learnt.

Thanks to all for the advice, the value of a friendly, informative and helpful forum such as this can never be overestimated.