Motoring fashions that have died out

John F

I've just bought some blanks to record.  My Stellar's cassette player has never messed up a cassette 'til now.  The new Maxell!!!  The old cassettes, some of them well over 20 years  old, play perfectly (well, they don't tangle).  A  graphic equaliser is included in the Stellar's unit - still the original.

Seat covers have already been mentioned.  My Herald used to have brown furry ones.  I can remember being proud of the LOOK.  I chucked them away after dark when I rediscovered them in the garage the other day.

Quite a few youngbods seem to accept the US way of writing the date as non-numpty.

Yeah... it seems to be a requirement in e.g. some computer systems. It pisses me off intensely though, the septics are the only ones that use such an absurd format.

Yeah... it seems to be a requirement in e.g. some computer systems. It pisses me off intensely though, the septics are the only ones that use such an absurd format.

It lends itself well to sortable lists of dates - 20010427 is "less" than 20010516 but "greater" than 20000218, so in a computer filenames are foolproof without needing to make sure copying things around doesn't mess up the file creation date.

If you write the dates out in the UK format, it loses all sense because the 18th of any month will always be earlier in the list than the 20th etc.

I've been around computers so long, I mustard mitt I just swap between the two formats. Always write in the UK way though.

Folks, I think we are getting a little diverted but... year/month/day is the Japanese/Chinese/Korean notation, month/day/year is completely illogical and hence the yank notation and day/month/year is what the rest of us use. So Pillocks examples above are Far Eastern not USA, in fact the yank system is just as hopeless as ours for making numerical lists.

Japan/Far East = 2000/02/18 2001/04/27  2001/05/16 typically this is very logical and we all should do it.

USA = 02/18/2000 04/27/2001 05/16/2001 which is totally daft

Everyone else = 18/02/2000 27/04/2001 16/05 /2001 which at least has the units in order of size

Sorry to bang on but I deal with septics on a day-to-day basis and get very annoyed at their dates - although some do accept the ridiculousness of it and replace month numbers with names for "international" correspondence.

Anyhow does anybody remember those "soundhog" stickers for Philips cassette tapes which looked like molten jelly with a nose?

Folks, I think we are getting a little diverted but... year/month/day is the Japanese/Chinese/Korean notation, month/day/year is completely illogical and hence the yank notation and day/month/year is what the rest of the us use. So Pillocks examples above are Far Eastern not USA, in fact the yank system is just as hopeless as ours for making numerical lists.

Japan/Far East = 2000/02/18 2001/04/27  2001/05/16 typically this is very logical and we all should do it.

USA = 02/18/2000 04/27/2001 05/16/2001 which is totally daft

Everyone else = 18/02/2000 27/04/2001 16/05 /2001 which at least has the units in order of size

Sorry to bang on but I deal with septics on a day-to-day basis and get very annoyed at there dates - although some do accept the ridiculousness of it and replace month numbers with names for "international" correspondence.

Anyhow does anybody remember those "soundhog" stickers for Philips cassette tapes which looked like molten jelly with a nose?

Me buying booze in the USA using my driver's licence for proof of age, septic: "Sir there is no 24th month".

Me trying to buy tickets over the phone in the USA using my Bank of Scotland bank card, septic: "Sorry we don't accept the Discovery card", me: "Sorry? This is an Bank of Scotland debit card". Septic: "no sir, the first four digits of the long card number tell me it's a Discovery card and we don't accept that". This went on for about ten minute until I lost the will to live and transferred the money to another account with a different card number and used that.

I am sure I remember reading that Murray Walker was responsible for that brand.  Of course there's nothing to found on the internet to back this up (although he did have a long career in advertising and branding) so it's probably bollocks.  Oh and I do remember having the cassettes and the stickers - I think it was an EMI brand.

post-20090-0-92829500-1458688459_thumb.jpg

It doesn't seem that long ago that loads of people were driving around with their front fog lights on... now this absurd fashion seems to have dwindled off to just its national practitioners, i.e. the odd confused giffer.

It's been decades since I saw a Garfield stuck to a car window, or sticking half-out of a car boot. Ditto those "trapped finger" things. And I certainly can't remember the last time I saw a car with those bizarre earthing straps hanging from the rear valance.

What have I missed, and what will be next?

I had 3 Garfields and an Odie on my trip to Gothenburg 2 years back...

post-5330-0-65487200-1458695114_thumb.jpg

Guest Hooli

I forgot to say I have a bagpuss that sticks to the window to my saph

attachicon.gifDSC_2058.JPG

Nice Saph.

2.0 GLSi?

I had the hatch in smokestone blue years ago. Damn great car with a 30mm drop to remove it's boating tendancies.

I am sure I remember reading that Murray Walker was responsible for that brand.  Of course there's nothing to found on the internet to back this up (although he did have a long career in advertising and branding) so it's probably bollocks.  Oh and I do remember having the cassettes and the stickers - I think it was an EMI brand.

attachicon.gif10540896086_3dd872e615_c.jpg

Soundhog!! Not Philips, nor a molten jelly, but I was right about the nose.

I'm going to be honest it may be advisable to remove it as it was designed to be used when towing a caravan so could have an adverse effect

Like being pulled over every couple of miles by people telling you that you've lost your caravan?

Or the sheer downforce applied to the rear of the car, without a caravan present, will explode the tyres?