Motoring fashions that have died out

John F

It doesn't seem that long ago that loads of people were driving around with their front fog lights on... now this absurd fashion seems to have dwindled off to just its natural practitioners, i.e. the odd confused giffer.

It's been decades since I saw a Garfield stuck to a car window, or sticking half-out of a car boot. Ditto those "trapped finger" things. And I certainly can't remember the last time I saw a car with those bizarre earthing straps hanging from the rear valance.

What have I missed, and what will be next?

Anything RGA - Richard Grant Accessories - thank christ.........

Car stereos being stolen. (OK, prob not died out but very rare in the last 10 years in my experience)

'Backflashes'  - the name of your car emblazened across the back window (had one on a Fiesta to my eternal shame)

Blue LED's on the s/wash jets - had these on my XR2i when I bought it. The first thing I did when I got home? Chopped out the bloody wires!

Running-in signs - no-one bothers with this any more!

"Tax in Post"

Huge lethal-looking whip aerials secured to the roof gutter

Twin high level brake lights as popular in the 70's/early 80's (before the single ones we commonly see now)

Was going to agree with earthing straps (the best ones being those mounted so they don't touch the ground..........) but have seen several cars with these fitted recently for some reason.

" baby on board" which seems odd- do reckless drivers value the lives of only fully grown adults in cars less than young families?

I guess if this is in the back of a car that's just been involved in a major accident it may prompt any rescue workers or witnesses to check again.

I think the reason for fog lights not being left on so much now is due for once to the manufacturers doing something useful and making the fog lamp circuit drop out (the relay controlling it de-latches) when the normal lights are turned off as opposed to being a hard switch.

To put them back on when you switch the lights back on you need to actually push the fog lamp switch again to make the relay latch and supply the circuit.

I guess if this is in the back of a car that's just been involved in a major accident it may prompt any rescue workers or witnesses to check again.

Yes, that's the idea (& a fair one too) but it annoys the emergency crews because these signs are always just left in the window whether there is any baby in the car or not so they aren't really that helpful. 

Those plastic chrome effect pipes you stuck on the end of a standard exhaust pipe to try and fool people into thinking you had an aftermarket exhaust fitted.

My car had that from the factory! Couldn't get it off when the back box was replaced unfortunately. The car looks way better with it to be fair as it was actually sensible size.

Bolt On spot lights

:-D

23772462524_2cdecb1bcf_b.jpg

9708126921_bdf6258c52_b.jpg

I wish this was a thing. I think some cars looks great with them, especially old Volvos but nobody in the UK sells the proper Scandiwegian style mounts. Mine came from a guy in Norway.

loads of people were driving around with their front fog lights on...

People used to say 'They are driving lights' as they were trying to make their car look more sporty that it really is. Now they don't have to as the new car manufacturers have made their car look 'sporty' as standard with more lights than a fucking christmas tree as standard.

It seems that people want all the naff things that people did to modify their cars in the past as standard on new ones.

Blacked out windows sir? - Yes please.

Dazzling lights? - Of course.

Rock solid suspension? - Without a doubt.

Wide wheels, useless in certain weather conditions? - All 4 please and with some tasteless alloys to finish it off.