Car hunting, URGH

Felly Magic

I wouldn't rule a £500 car out on the basis of a dent. You would be more worried about a radiator that's about to give way or a clutch that's slipping. In the grand scheme of things a dent isn't important at all. I've never been stranded at the side of the M1 due to a dent in the wing...

As for mileage I've driven cars at 30k that felt worn out and cars at 150k that drove like new.

If I had £500 spare in my account I'd happily go 200 miles to pick up a £250 Elantra sight-unseen, because it was spare.

Putting myself in this chap's shoes (which doesn't seem ideal right at this point), I can see why spending literally the last remaining pennies to your name on a car that has to do 100 miles a day or whatever reliably is going to make you choose carefully.

Saying all that, there's no harm in joining your local Faceache group. I've seen people go "I literally have £100, CAN HAZ CAR PLZ?" and they end up with a reasonable hatchback with some MOT for around that.

Even if, then, it goes PHUT and FTPs after a month or so, you've only spent £100 of your £700 or so, and can afford to throw £200 or so at it making it all betterer.

I have learned in my years of giving sensible car buying advice to people that some grasp it and go with a recommendation and others make an excuse why the many things you suggest aren't great. This is a decision that only FM can make as only he knows exactly what he wants. I'm looking forward to Sunday night's collection thread. Until then, everyone of us is on a hiding to nothing making a suggestion. Too far, too old, too smelly, too close to MoT running out, too many excuses ...

And I've got every fucking right to be utterly pissed off in this situation, it's pushed us below the poverty line, and put a massive strain on home life. I simply do not have the time to piss about looking for a car, but through no fault of my own I have to, I've no time for chancers, and lying sellers, and morons who put cars up for sale, then never have their phone on.

I just hope none of you end up in this utterly fucking shit situation me and the Mrs are in

People are (probably) not interested in helping you because you've ranted/raved at perfectly good suggestions for what seems spurious reasons. Life isn't fair, you ain't the only one with problems.

Felly some of us have been there, like anything in life it is what you make it. I did a 82 mile round trip every day for three years in a variety of vehicular tat. The best was by far a £600 Peugeot 205 turbo diesel which amazingly was a WELL OLD L REG with a 1.8 engine demanding three filters and a sump full of cheap 15w40 from Mole Valley Farmers every 6 months or so. I drove that car like a wanker and it never dropped below 50mpg and would run on anything, defying Lucas pump deniers.

I didn't notice the smell as it was overpowered by the rich stench of success

Being in this backwater that is Suffolk, cheap, decent cars are thin on the ground, the only decent places to buy cheap & tidy cars are large urban areas as has been said, but as there are none within 75 miles of this dump, it's slim pickings. Scrappage saw to a load of the cheap & cheerful traders, auction fees are driving up the price of main dealer part exes, so small traders pass on the price hikes to us, the punter. A £500 forecourt car will have cost the dealer £250-£300 at most, by the time you add on the overhead costs and profit margin.

And that Avensis with borked doors is only worth scrap money, £200 at most due to the cost of repairing it, so it's not such a bargain at over £500 is it? Damage like that you have to wonder at how the car has been driven, tiny miles, never warmed up etc. You have to learn to read between the lines, christ almighty I've worked in a retail environment now nigh on 25 years, and can spot seller spiel from 500 yards, as I have used it myself way too often. If a car is being sold by a trader with a short MOT, you know it isn't going to pass it's next one without work

That is why I'm being very picky, I know what I want, and won't settle for any old toss, and will not drive an older car, I work fucking hard, long hours, driving clapped out buses, so having to drive back and forth to work in an old heap is the last thing I want to do, it's taken years to build up again to a reasonable car, going from an L reg Uno, an R reg Fiesta, a P reg Clio, a T reg Skoda, then the Almera & Focus (X & Y). 

Being in this backwater that is Suffolk, cheap, decent cars are thin on the ground, the only decent places to buy cheap & tidy cars are large urban areas as has been said, but as there are none within 75 miles of this dump, it's slim pickings. Scrappage saw to a load of the cheap & cheerful traders, auction fees are driving up the price of main dealer part exes, so small traders pass on the price hikes to us, the punter. A £500 forecourt car will have cost the dealer £250-£300 at most, by the time you add on the overhead costs and profit margin.

And that Avensis with borked doors is only worth scrap money, £200 at most due to the cost of repairing it, so it's not such a bargain at over £500 is it? Damage like that you have to wonder at how the car has been driven, tiny miles, never warmed up etc. You have to learn to read between the lines, christ almighty I've worked in a retail environment now nigh on 25 years, and can spot seller spiel from 500 yards, as I have used it myself way too often. If a car is being sold by a trader with a short MOT, you know it isn't going to pass it's next one without work

That is why I'm being very picky, I know what I want, and won't settle for any old toss, and will not drive an older car, I work fucking hard, long hours, driving clapped out buses, so having to drive back and forth to work in an old heap is the last thing I want to do, it's taken years to build up again to a reasonable car, going from an L reg Uno, an R reg Fiesta, a P reg Clio, a T reg Skoda, then the Almera & Focus (X & Y).

Take the bus?

Everything you're looking at will be worth close to scrap money as a trade-in mate. The problem is mint/reliable/good MOT History/long MOT/very local/£700 will require compromises or tremendous good fortune. If I was up slack-ally and needed dependable wheels I'd sooner wave the cosmetics. A 66k Avensis bumped about the carpark by a blind giffer that had been serviced on the dot without an MOT failure in its life sounds just the ticket.

That is why I'm being very picky, I know what I want, and won't settle for any old toss

Sometimes though isnt it easier just to buy something to get you mobile and then you at least have your leisure to buy something that you want/like?

I bought in a rush with the Almera, pleasant enough car, but Ive seen nicer stuff since - cest la vie.

If I had bought a cheap snotter I could have shopped at my leisure.

If at the moment all you can reasonably afford is an old heap, it might have to be what you go for if getting four working wheels underneath you is the most important thing. Fuck having dented doors - if I needed to get from A to B and I had to locate this mode of transport within the next few days, it would simply need to not let water in and go forwards and backwards.

BUT - if you get something super cheap, and can put up with slogging a bit more, you can save up and upgrade to something (i.e. £1000 - £1,200) where you are less likely to get something that's shite.

If you truly want to move away from tat you will need a higher budget, and while it sounds like you've done your fair share of slogging, it might be necessary to do just a little bit more before you can find The Right Car.

And that Avensis with borked doors is only worth scrap money, £200 at most due to the cost of repairing it, so it's not such a bargain at over £500 is it? Damage like that you have to wonder at how the car has been driven, tiny miles, never warmed up etc. You have to learn to read between the lines, christ almighty I've worked in a retail environment now nigh on 25 years, and can spot seller spiel from 500 yards, as I have used it myself way too often.

I wish i could read between the lines like this and judge how a car has been warmed up based off a dent in the door.

"I'm so poor, i can't afford food"

"I'm damned if i'm driving an older car/one with a dent in the door"

Sometimes though isnt it easier just to buy something to get you mobile and then you at least have your leisure to buy something that you want/like?

I bought in a rush with the Almera, pleasant enough car, but Ive seen nicer stuff since - cest la vie.

If I had bought a cheap snotter I could have shopped at my leisure.

I did this!

I had the silver Omega at the time, and got a job that was a 10 mile each way trip, so EMERGENCY PANIC bought a Rover 45 diesel without much thought, which was a great choice in that the car lasted two years and was incredibly reliable....

But, two weeks after this panic purchase, the same dealer had a 1998 Vauxhall Omega 2.5 TD CDX for sale. For the same money.

BOLLOCKS.