Old Postcards

STUNO

My grandfather (maternal) was a confirmed traveller. He left NZ in 1911 to see the world on a working holiday. He spent time in such places as Manilla ,Shanghai and Nagasaki on the way to Vladivostock to catch the train to St Petersburgh and on to Mother England. He took some photos and bought some postcards on the way. I have the collection :D On his return to NZ he met a girl from Guildford who was in NZ on a working holiday, she was my Grandmother. They both loved travel and spent the rest of their lives travelling to far places, and particularly to UK .

Interesting times too. I have a photo of him going to work on his horse

and he also travelled by 747 in later years. Pre WW2 his transport choice was Plymouth and after he always drove a Humber Snipe, last was 1963.

Enough of the history and on to some of the pictures.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Kings Road Chelsea in 1951(edit..can't be 51..must be 59. see black car!)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Bet noone else has a photo of Guildford High St with ONE car

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Thats it for now !

Excellent! They are great insights into the history of transport though I reckon the "Bank and Royal Exchange" one has been rather extensively "photo-shopped"! :wink: Don't know about Guildford High Street with only one car but I've taken one of Regent Street in London with no cars :D

Excellent! They are great insights into the history of transport though I reckon the "Bank and Royal Exchange" one has been rather extensively "photo-shopped"! :wink:

I was going to say the same, looks like someone has been at it with a craft knife and stuck extra trams on... the perspective is all wrong on some of the people, and that one on the right hand side is comedy.Great pictures though!

In the Royal Courts of Justice one what would the other sign on the ladies lavatory say? It looks like "Ladies ---k Room". Avoiding the obvious smutty answer what would it be? Dark room?

Try CLOAK ROOM.. my guess