another ebay scam.....advice please..

retrogeezer

I sold this mk2 mondeo fuel computer a week ago on ebay...tried it in my car and all worked fine and you can see that in the photos.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... :IT&ih=003

The buyer has messaged me saying that he has fitted it in his car and that the display is 'smudged' and that the fuel left in tank bit doesn't work.

Looking at what he has bought it would seem like he has bought a shed of a car and is fixing it up with 2nd hand parts but is adamant that his original trip computer was working other than the light.

Now I'm not sure if he is trying to scam me into a refund and will then send me back a knackered fuel computer thing or has a lesser mondeo without the required parts that make these work.

His last message was 'shall we let ebay/paypal' sort it out so I guess that means he will put a claim on paypal and I can't afford to have that account suspended....he has also already left positive feedback? Maybe that was in error?

What should I do?

It's far too easy for scumbags to rip you on ebay, if anything it seems encouraged. I gave up using ebay when similar happened to me, at least he can't blackmail you over neg feedback, I think the value is too low to be refundable by paypal, so you could just add the thieving pikey scum to your blocked bidder list, and tell him to stick the thing right up his arse.

Modern electronic stuff is very picky once it is taken out of the precise vehicle it was installed in. I'd say it was down to his vehicle but obviously can't really say.I guess it comes down to the value of the item, how much you sell on Ebay, and how much you value no hassle compared to standing your ground. A breaker's would take the part back, but they would check (serial no etc) that it was the actual part they sold that was coming back. It may be a good idea in future to mark stuff you sell with a security pen for this reason.P.S. are you breaking a Mk2 Ghia X?

I would simply tell hime to STFU. He's bought a secondhand part, you don't sell it with guarantee, warrantee, return policy, and more importantly he has intimated that he was intitally satisfied with the purchase. I would suggest that in any environment other than eBay/Paypal, he'd be laughed out of court. Otherwise, tell him to send it back. If he sends it back by standard mail, he cannot prove/disprove that you recieved it. And due to the value of the item, it's not economical to send it any other way. See what I mean.

I had a similar problem with a Hard Disk Drive I sold recently, it was brand new and still in the wrapper. He tried to baffle me with science saying it was knackered. I told him to send it back and I would test it and return his money if it was. Never heard a peep after that.Chancers!! :evil:

Paypal don't give a chuff about what condition the goods are in, that's ebay's job via the feedback tool.Paypal will only get involved if the buyer is claiming they weren't delivered, or it wasn't the item advertised (eg if you've posted him a gimp mask instead of a trip computer). As soon as he's received the item and left positive feedback, he's confirmed he's got it and it's the right thing. End of paypal's involvement.Tell him to stick it. Or tell him to post it back to you, and if it is faulty then you'll refund his money and his payment. Obviously once you get it back it'll be miraculously working so he'll be out of pocket for the postage, and you can flog it on to someone less stupid. And there's no way he can force you to refund his postage short of going through small claims court, which seems highly unlikely.Oh, and on the offchance it's actually not working in his car - i looked at fitting a fuel computer to a Mk1 Mondeo that didn't have one from the factory. There's a whole heap of parts which have to match, they changed the computer a few times and the associated different parts have different calibration. So chances are if he's just wanging it in any old car without checking, it won't work properly. The tank sender is definately one of the parts that has to match.

Paypal don't give a chuff about what condition the goods are in, that's ebay's job via the feedback tool.Paypal will only get involved if the buyer is claiming they weren't delivered, or it wasn't the item advertised (eg if you've posted him a gimp mask instead of a trip computer). As soon as he's received the item and left positive feedback, he's confirmed he's got it and it's the right thing. End of paypal's involvement.Tell him to stick it. Or tell him to post it back to you, and if it is faulty then you'll refund his money and his payment. Obviously once you get it back it'll be miraculously working so he'll be out of pocket for the postage, and you can flog it on to someone less stupid. And there's no way he can force you to refund his postage short of going through small claims court, which seems highly unlikely.

So does that mean once ebay feedback is left that he can't issue a paypal dispute? I fooking hate paypal with a passion too (read the text on my listing!) but you can't list stuff anymore without offering it and most people seem to pay by it even when I put in the invoice I'd rather have a different method of payment...cheques and bank transfers have always been reliable enough for me!Sent him a link to this now....reckon he is just an amateur:http://www.fordmondeo.org/forum/showtopic.php?tid/798811/

.he has also already left positive feedback?

- perhaps this is evidence that he was totally happy with it at first as there was NOTHING WRONG with it and he has now changed his mind AFTER THE TRANSACTION.I'd certainly try to point that out to ebay dispute people if possible.

Guest greenvanman

I won't go near eBay these days but if I did I'd be marking any car/computer parts/ other electronics with a security pen as described. This sort of thing is all too common unfortunately, and as Paypal/eBay will always side with the buyer it's the only way to ensure honest sellers such as yourself don't get ripped off.

So does that mean once ebay feedback is left that he can't issue a paypal dispute?

He can, but it's unlikely to get far. Chances are Paypal will take the cash from you, hold on to it for 30 days or however long it is, and then give it you back when they can't proceed any further.He's recieved it, he admits as such. He was initially happy with it, he admits this too by leaving positive feedback. Whatever happens from there on is a warranty issue (of which there is none, it's a frickin' secondhand car part) and nowt to do with paypal.They only get involved in clearcut paid-and-not-received cases.

You could call his bluff and tell him that you had marked the unit with a security marker and if he sends it back and its not the same unit you will take legal action for attempted fraud.In theory you could still win if it got that far by saying look this isn't mine as mine had a security mark on it etc etc even though yours never did! although that would involve being naughy yourself but hell-this fuckwit wouldn't get that far.Sure its only £15 but its the principle of it.

You also have proof of it working when it left your care, if he isn't lying then its not your fault that he screwed it when he was fitting it-is he qualified to fit electrical stuff?? (I know that doesn't stop people i'm just thinking of arguments)

Retro, the fuel computers on mk2 Mondeos are anything but 'plug-and-play', there are various different software versions apparently so one out of an R reg might not work in a W reg for example. Plus the cheaper trim levels dont have all the wiring and sensors to make the computer functions work. Caveat emptor!