Talk to me about Bedford cf's....UPDATED with moar pics!

barmatt

Nice one, interior shots too please, when time and light allows. Have you had a camper before or are you still marvelling at how you can stop wherever you like, get the pan on, take a leak, then go to bed, all in the comfort of a convenient cul de sac.

I'll get plenty of other pics this weekend when time allows. Interior is all there and everything works it just needs a good clean/repaint and general spruce up.

We've never had a camper before but the idea of being able to get away on a whim sounds great. Looking forward to the first adventure already. The missus and I were like little kids opening all the cupboards and pressing switches.

Nice one, interior shots too please, when time and light allows. Have you had a camper before or are you still marvelling at how you can stop wherever you like, get the pan on, take a leak, then go to bed, all in the comfort of a convenient cul de sac.

In the UK I always found industrial estates better than anywhere residential on a night, no curtain twitchers. France was great where most towns and villages had dedicated parking points right in the middle where you can drain the tanks and for a few Euro fill with water or hook up.

Flippin' brilliant.

I had a pop-top CF a few years ago; if it had had overdrive it'd have been the only vehicle I'd ever need. Unfortunately, because I'm a Massive Bell End, I crashed it and couldn't afford to fix it. Luckily someone else did, so it lives on.

Nice work on the pez stn shots, suitably out of focus as well.

Does it need lead replacement gubbins chucking in with the pez as well?

yeah it takes lead replacement stuff, the po has left us half a dozen bottles in the cupboard to  be getting on with.

Found a link to Adrian Bailey's in Leeds, a good source of CF bits and bobs

http://www.roverland.eu/bedfordcf.html

Thanks for that FM, the only advisories on the last mot were for track rod ends, front springs and rear tyres. The po replaced the tyres and springs so it's hopefully only tre's I need which don't look too expensive.

Just lob one of those lead replacement love beads in the tank.

You might as well rub a lucky horseshoe on the cylinder head for the difference that'll make. 

Nice to see some CF love on here again. I thought the CF camper I sold The Moog was bloody lovely to drive. 2.3 with overdrive. Didn't much like sleeping in it, but driving it was ace.

This afternoon was the first time off I've had since collection which gave me the chance to have a proper assessment of the van.

Structurally it's pretty good, some of the sealant is looking a bit crusty and the top windows in the front need a bloody good clean and resealing, they're not leaking they've just got layers of sealant on them. Inside the walls and cupboards need repainting just to make it feel a bit better and everything needs a damn good scrub.

New track rod ends are on order and I'm going to book it in at BiL's garage for an mot in a couple of weeks time hopefully.

Overall I'm pleased with the purchase and think this is going to be a good fun vehicle.

Have some pics

IMAG0569_zpsbwpfsrv4.jpg

IMAG0568_zpskoon47rh.jpg

IMAG0567_zpsdivndhfo.jpg

Ooh USB sockets

IMAG0566_zpspo1bcms8.jpg

IMAG0565_zpsddcsrfbi.jpg

IMAG0564_zpses63zswb.jpg

These covers are almost brand new but the material is a bit dated for me.

IMAG0563_zpsvrqocvjg.jpg

No shit!

IMAG0562_zpsroasuzb8.jpg

IMAG0561_zpseyzdigo8.jpg

Stairway to heaven?

IMAG0557_zpsmfpsrikq.jpg

A little light reading.

IMAG0555_zpsnsc9cdls.jpg

@Skattrd, this has been around your neck of the woods.

1460901219620_zps4brff0sn.jpg

That's all for now, more updates as things progress.

IMAG0557_zpsmfpsrikq.jpg

I think Bedford were trying to mimic Ford with the styling of the CF2, and from around 81 onwards, the CF did start to lag behind the Transit sales wise, and when Ford launched the slant nose in 86, it was more or less game over for Bedford in the mid weight sector, a damn shame GM gave up on the brand

Is this the 2.3 Pez?

When I were a lad we had two CF crewbuses (and a Sherpa) at the Ordnance Survey where I had a summer job.  There was one 1800 Pez and one 2300 pez.  The 1800 had a three speed gearbox with reverse at top left of the H with no restrictor.  They were nice to drive. 

Edit - gr9 looking camper BTW

The 2.3 slant four is a really nice, torquey engine which sounds good and is reasonably robust if maintained correctly. Easy to maintain too with the distributor on top of the engine.

Drawbacks are the hefty fuel consumption (about 25mpg in my single carb FE 2300S) which must be astronomical on a coachbuilt CF, oil leaks and weak oil pumps.

Is this the 2.3 Pez?

When I were a lad we had two CF crewbuses (and a Sherpa) at the Ordnance Survey where I had a summer job.  There was one 1800 Pez and one 2300 pez.  The 1800 had a three speed gearbox with reverse at top left of the H with no restrictor.  They were nice to drive. 

Edit - gr9 looking camper BTW

Yeah it's the 2.3 slant 4, with a 4 speed and overdrive.

The 2.3 slant four is a really nice, torquey engine which sounds good and is reasonably robust if maintained correctly. Easy to maintain too with the distributor on top of the engine.

Drawbacks are the hefty fuel consumption (about 25mpg in my single carb FE 2300S) which must be astronomical on a coachbuilt CF, oil leaks and weak oil pumps.

It's not terrible, I wasn't too accurate in my mpg sums for the trip back but it was in the low 20's, not terrible for a 36yr old pez engined bungalow and I'm not planning on doing starship miles. I have notice a bit of oil on the engine but the po said it leaks a bit but not enough to worry about.