Its French its inevitable...and expensive...

capsuleboy

After 6 good years I suppose a good and proper fail was overdue.

Firstly a little damp in the main fusebox ment it wouldn't start, so had to be recovered to my prefered Avi knowing garage in Notts, MGC servicing.

I knew the brakes and tyres were overdue, but the MOT was unplesent.

Reason(s) for failure

front brake disc in such a condition that it is seriously weakened (3.5.1i)

rear brake disc in such a condition that it is seriously weakened (3.5.1i)

rear Direction indicator incorrect colour Both (1.4.A.2f)

front Headlamp not working on main beam Both (1.7.5a)

front Steering arm has relative movement at its fixings Both (2.2.B.1h)

nearside front Track rod end ball joint dust cover excessively deteriorated so that it no longer prevents the ingress of dirt (2.2.C.1c)

offside front Track rod end ball joint has excessive play (2.2.B.1f)

nearside front Tyre has a cut in excess of the requirements deep enough to reach the ply or cords (4.1.D.1a)

Brake pipe excessively corroded Front to Rear (3.6.B.2c)

Advisory notice item(s)

offside front Tyre worn close to the legal limit 235/50/17 (4.1.E.1)

rear Both Rear Tyres Slight Tread Lift

So this is why what look like immaculate cars this age get scrapped.

Going to be the thick end of 1200 /1500 quid.

Winged it for a couple of years so not so bad.8

post-3220-0-56728200-1457175496_thumb.jpg

When you look at the fail sheet it's not so bad.  Tyres and track rod ends go all the time, brakes wear out too and light bulbs blow.  It's not as if the transmission has spun a bearing, the petrol tanks has rusted out and there's severe corrosion near seat belt anchor points.

It's just a bit unfortunate that all its biorhythms have aligned on MoT day, but plenty of people spend a couple of hundred every year for the MoT so which is worse?

Sounds a very harsh mot. The discs must be really bad to be weakened I would get a second opinion if it was me, sounds like they are trying it on.

Dont think so, been an advisory every year, knew they would be needed soon.

But yes the rest of the test is very picky...

Looking at it again it's a proper days graft depending on whether the brake pipe can be cleaned and greased and the tyres are bought economically  via used/ditchfinders it's a few hundred quid. that's a lovely colour by the way

Reason(s) for failure

front brake disc in such a condition that it is seriously weakened (3.5.1i)

rear brake disc in such a condition that it is seriously weakened (3.5.1i)

Just needs new pads and discs. Standard wear and tear item

rear Direction indicator incorrect colour Both (1.4.A.2f)

New yellow indicator bulb required.

front Headlamp not working on main beam Both (1.7.5a)

I guess this is the main fusebox is causing this. Probably a good dry out, or possibly a second hand part.

front Steering arm has relative movement at its fixings Both (2.2.B.1h)

nearside front Track rod end ball joint dust cover excessively deteriorated so that it no longer prevents the ingress of dirt (2.2.C.1c)

offside front Track rod end ball joint has excessive play (2.2.B.1f)

Couple of steering parts. Standard Renault point. Track rod ends shouldn't be too bad.

nearside front Tyre has a cut in excess of the requirements deep enough to reach the ply or cords (4.1.D.1a)

Advisory notice item(s)

offside front Tyre worn close to the legal limit 235/50/17 (4.1.E.1)

rear Both Rear Tyres Slight Tread Lift

New tyres needed

Brake pipe excessively corroded Front to Rear (3.6.B.2c)

This I suspect will be the expensive one. Not for parts, but for labour.

So this is why what look like immaculate cars this age get scrapped.

How much do you want for it? Seriously, if you're going down the scrappage route, I'd buy it off you as a project.

Defo being fixed, can't fault the garage doing the work, its just what it costs if you can't do it yourself.

I'm ok on the proper old stuff, but not this.

Its was recovered from home as my RAC covers everthing except homestart. Cant tow it as its an auto.

What I ment is if it was an Espace/Laguna ect it would be goodbye time.

The only frustration is the fact they are still worth little, so it a heart not head ruling this.

I don't think the bill sounds that terrible if its for everything, depends on the labour for the brake pipes but for all i know theyre routed through the headlining or something.

Its all very well saying I'd fix it for £12.50 and a days work but some people can't or won't turn their own spanners, if so this is what it costs.

Well done for getting it fixed anyway capsuleboy, looks lovely even on the back of a truck.

What I ment is if it was an Espace/Laguna ect it would be goodbye time.

The only frustration is the fact they are still worth little, so it a heart not head ruling this.

Give it time, as more and more break their value will only increase - especially given the cost of replacing the cambelt in the v6 (engine out afaik). I remember when these could be reliably had for sub 1k. Now you're looking at 2k starting cost at least. Plus trying to find one is hard enough.

Hope the headlight fix is easy - does your's have bulbs or those HID jobbies?

The brake parts are a bit expensive and the tyres aren't a common size: I bought mine on the basis that it would come with a fresh MOT - it did, after failing on discs and tyres!

Quite a hit according to the seller.

Think the lights are controlled by one of the relays in the damaged fusebox. No longer available from Reno, hopefully, a chap in Scotland I have been put on to has one from a breaker.

Tyres £120 a pair from lovetyres, good quaility Uniroyals.

Been a 6 year love affair can't bail now.

Oohh! Long ago, when I did chips away on screens, a dealer had a turbo Rover220 and blew his diff.

Recovery dragged it back rear wheels up, backwards.

Pin came adrift in broken diff and lunched housing....

Tow company had a BIG bill - young lad thought it was RWD/Gbox fault/dont turn prop.

Only once... Eh?

TS

I'd say that's about right and well worth it to keep it on the road. If it was something less interesting then you might think twice.

Parts are okay priced for them and you can get a lot of stuff from the factors rather than go back to renault.

I think I spent about 300 quid on mine over the 3-4 months I had it on various things.