Project Capri. Back on the road! New earths.

danthecapriman

When I un tape a loom, I start at the wires that branch off taping wires together about every 2 inches of wire, then move onto the main wires taping before and after the branch off to keep the shape and to keep wires in the right place then tape every couple of inches hey presto, you can then see the wires and replace/repair accordingly, nice and easy

I’d retrim the bad seats. You might be able to sell the brown ones to cover costs.

That's pretty much how I was thinking. The good brown seats still easily good enough to be reused in another car, if not mine. So I'd just be ruining good seat covers retrimming them. Someone else could easily use them.

If I'm bothering to get a retrim then in theory it shouldn't matter how poor the black seat covers are as they'll be replaced regardless. Plus, I can supply them to a trimmer and they can use the original materials as a pattern for the new.

I wouldn't bother with a rad upgrade. The Pinto already has way too much cooling capacity which is why they take so long to warm up in winter. Standard 1600/2000 rad is fine m8. I'd be tempted to convert it to electronic ignition with Sierra bits though.

The electronic ignition will be a route I'm going down with this car. I've had a gut full of shit quality condensers and that seems all that's available now so I'm going to fuck the old points and condenser set ups off on all my oldies now.

I've already fitted it to the Mercury and it's much better! Capri will be next, I've got a brand new kit for it ready to fit. Same as the Mercury, all the new bits are hidden inside the dizzy so you'd never know looking at it.

Seems stupid to me not using these modern contactless set ups tbh. They're so much better than points imho.

I'll keep the old working points and condenser in the glovebox as a backup should the electronic fail. Just swap back and off you go again.

I wouldn't bother with a rad upgrade. The Pinto already has way too much cooling capacity which is why they take so long to warm up in winter.

The cooling capacity of the radiator won't matter if the thermostat is working correctly - there'll just be less time driving when the 'stat is fully open.

Had a parts delivery today.

Firstly, a nice new coil. Lucas part and comes in a lovely shade of gold, which should look nice against the blue paint of the engine bay!

Also pictured is the new nyloc steering wheel nut.

24228413097_f1220e2d93_o.jpgIMG_1006 by Dan Clark, on Flickr

And my new radiator is here too. Original refurbished tanks with a slightly uprated core for a 2.3 Cortina.

Looks lovely and should sit much nicer in the engine bay than the old radiator.

38380033094_9a56227c3e_o.jpgIMG_1007 by Dan Clark, on Flickr

38380029184_7c2c11bc01_o.jpgIMG_1008 by Dan Clark, on Flickr

Is that vinylcote any good? I always imagine it looking the part when it's just been applied, then as soon as you sit on it it cracks leaving the base colour showing through the cracks. Or it Rubs off on your trousers!

I'm not sure the best way to tackle the interior tbh. A part of me wants to get the best from both interiors and retrim the brown seats into new black half vinyl as originally fitted. But then I think how much of a shame it'd be to destroy the brown seats as they're still in such good original nik. Someone could make good use of those! If only they were black!

My steering wheel is the big two spoke jobby, same as the mk1 facelift. The later mk2's had a different wheel again. Mines got the optional leather factory cover over the wheel rim too.

There are different products available. I used one by Kolorbond check fro post #142

http://autoshite.com/topic/27887-rupert-the-stag-seat-refurb-page5/page-5

as with anything being painted it is all in the prep. my paint hasnt lifted nor stuck to my clothes.

Got wet and had no adverse effects

would use this companies products again

The ohv stuff was all electronic distributorless by the 1990s, something like a twin coil in place of the dizzy itself plus a brain on the bulkhead or whatever. I suspect you're on a hiding to nothing trying to transplant all that onto a lump from a different era.

The ohv stuff was all electronic distributorless by the 1990s, something like a twin coil in place of the dizzy itself plus a brain on the bulkhead or whatever. I suspect you're on a hiding to nothing trying to transplant all that onto a lump from a different era.

Yeah, it sounds like a nightmare job trying to put all that onto a 70's engine. It wouldn't save you anything either given the availability of off the shelf electronic ignition kits specifically designed for this engine and dizzy. They aren't that expensive either really. I've already got the complete kit waiting in the garage!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Ok lads and lasses. The moment we've all been waiting for has finally arrived!!

That's right. The Capri is now painted, in full! This now marks an end to the biggest and grimmest chapter in this tale of woe and despair...

*The bodywork is completely and utterly 100% finished*

It feels so good to finally be able to say that.

The car is not only fully painted but for the first time in almost two years she's sitting on her wheels again.

The axles, suspension, wheels & tyres, and some other assorted bits and bobs are fitted and it's now rolling again.

I'm so happy right now you would not believe! Finally, after all that...

Anyway, back down to earth.

Pics are to follow as soon as I can, I've not seen it myself yet just had the nod to say it's done. I'm very busy from now until Monday so it's unlikely I'll be able to do anything until at least next week sadly but rest assured I'm on it.

Next step is to sort which bits are going on next before the car comes home for me to finish off.

The engine, gearbox and prop will be getting fitted by the guys I'm using (saves me the grief of lifting that into a nice freshly painted shell!).

The front and rear screens and bonded rear 1/4 glass will also be getting done by them as I've got a hatred for glass fitting, these will be going in with brand new rubbers and trims all round.

And the new headlining. This will have to go in before the windscreen as it tucks up under the screen rubber so might aswell be done at the same time.

All of this I have sitting here at home ready to go so once I know what they want and I've got a time to deliver it all I'll go down and do that then inspect (and photograph!) my gorgeous Miami blue as good as new Capri.

Stay tuned...

It's such a relief now I tell you! I can un-clench for the first time in two years!

I'd be down there getting pics this week if I could but work commitments and a family funeral mean it's just not happening this week no chance. Shit really but there you go.

Still, it's going really rather well now!