Project Capri. Back on the road! New earths.

danthecapriman

They look right tidy Dan!  I'm not even sure I'd bother painting in the black bits tbh.

They are a really nice looking wheel imho! The black bits are like vinyl sticker things I got off eBay so every one of them is perfectly straight and the same. Should mean no wavy hand painted lines.

I'd like to fit them tbh, it's what sets the early and late version of this wheel apart, plus I like the black bits!

I was looking at these earlier and you just don't see wheels with any real 'dish' to them anymore. Just about all wheels now are almost flat. Not very hairy chested at all!

Dropped off the axles, suspension, wheels and assorted other related bits down to the workshop today.

Everything's fine, it's been sat in storage since it came off the car and got painted in mid 2016. I've gone through it all and there's just a few odd suspension bushes missing so they'll be ordered up as required.

The plan is to assemble as much as possible (front McPherson struts for one, they're in component pieces at the mo) and get it fully ready to fit to the shell. Once the shell is painted and sorted all the suspension, axles and wheels will then go and be fitted at the bodyshop to enable the car to sit on its own wheels instead of the dolly it's on now. That way it can be rolled and steered much more easily, and loaded onto a trailer easier. It means it can also be strapped by its wheels or axles to the trailer without the body and fresh paint being touched at all!

Once the car is back at the workshop the engine, gearbox, prop, glass, headlining etc can be reinstalled and then the car can come back home for me to finish.

As it stands, expected time for its return home should be early next year. January all being well!

I got a call today. A call from a man who has a certain Capri which was formerly in black primer...

That's right! Paint is going on!

He just called to say it's going well, part of it is now finished but he's had a breakdown with his compressor so things are a bit behind. But it will be done asap.

So far, all seam sealing is finished and cured. All rubberised underbody protection is on and cured.

The cabin interior area has now got its Miami blue paint all over, the underbonnet area and engine bay is completely painted. And the entire under side, wheel arches etc etc are also now fully in body colour.

Brilliant news and progress!

I'll not put up any pics until the rest of the body is in blue and finished off as it'll spoil the effect! I really can't wait to see the finished shell though, it's going to look unbelievable. And it's now within touching distance of being back on its wheels and back home ready for rebuilding. That fact alone makes me happy as it's been a very long time coming.

A bit more boring but necessary news,I had to order a new steering wheel nut. eBay supplied a brand new one. God only knows where the original one went though, I can't find it anywhere. Everything else is accounted for but this seems to have vanished.

Not an exciting part but what does make me happy is that it'll soon be needed!

Stay tuned as it won't be long at all now before you get to see some Miami blue-ness!

You could put four bald tyres on it but with it looking that good after all that time and expense you will be driving so carefully that the tyres won't matter I'm sure!

I'll be so scared to drive it it won't need anything other than bald tyres for the use it'll get! It'll be tight sphincter time on that first run!

Great news Dan.  I can't remember if you already said, will it be base coat/clear coat or a single stage finish?

I can't tell you how envious I am of your laser straight panels - I am slowly, and I do mean slowly getting the panels on my P6 as close to straight as I can manage.  Mind you, I am guessing your body shop man doesn't drink while he's working...

Great news Dan.  I can't remember if you already said, will it be base coat/clear coat or a single stage finish?

I can't tell you how envious I am of your laser straight panels - I am slowly, and I do mean slowly getting the panels on my P6 as close to straight as I can manage.  Mind you, I am guessing your body shop man doesn't drink while he's working...

As far as I'm aware the finish is base coat + clear coat.

I couldn't believe the panel fit and straight lines either tbh! I didn't even think it was possible to get one of these cars that good given how Ford threw them together and punched them out. He's done incredibly well, clearly takes a lot of pride in his work.

Makes you realise just how poor they all were before this all started. None of the panels lined up properly, the gaps were all over the place too and the bottom of the doors were rather 'wobbly' and full of filler! Amazing what know how and experience can achieve, I wouldn't have been able to get it that good that's for sure.

Are you totally sure you didn't want Roman Bronze, or maybe Purp Velv?

Only messing Dan, what colour is your original interior? Was it the dark brown (from memory, yes) or that sort of beige? Cloth seat inserts? We need details!!! :-)

No. No. Don't do that! It's blue, definitely blue. Blue is what I want. Final answer. I think!

Original interior was black. Black vinyl door cards/trims, black carpets, black seats with vinyl bolsters and cloth inner sections. It's in a bad way though unfortunately, but I still have it all.

The replacement interior I got from a breaker is dark brown. But the seats are full vinyl with no cloth at all. It makes them rather hot in summer. They're in good condition but I want to go over to black interior again after this so I'll have to get one interior or the other retrimmed.

I don't really want to destroy the good original brown seats as they are a bit too good to strip. So I'm leaning towards having the original seats retrimmed in as close as I can get to the original black vinyl and cloth.

Have to see though.

Question.

My wiring loom is currently sat in a box away from the shell. It's in pretty decent nik really, no known problems anyway.

While it's out of the car and I've got little else to do at the moment is it worth me stripping the old loom tape off and redoing it all?

There's not much wrong with the old tape other than it being very old and a bit crispy in places where the tape has just dried out from old age! It's also a bit grubby in places with dirt and old overspray etc on it.

Given there's not really any problems with the wiring would i just end up causing myself and the loom problems by stripping it down and messing about with it? Maybe best leave it alone?

It also still has its 'shape' from 43 years of sitting in the car in that shape which I'd like to not disturb really as it'd make it more difficult to refit!

Do it? Or leave it be since it seems ok?

I'd deffo go through it all. Get some proper crimps too and replace any iffy terminals that have even the slightest hint of corrosion, and give it a thorough inspection, you'll thank yourself for it - check the end of all the wires for black death etc. I'd go as far as running new wires to replace any splices, you can get any colour/striped wire by the meter from VWP. Rewrap in nice cloth loom tape etc and off you go, one less thing to worry about.

Holey shit! This looks a hideous job to me... I'm not good with car electrics!

Your all right though, if I'm going to do it now's the time while it's out of the car and accessible. Not one of my favourite jobs though!

Do it like that with the routes & lengths etc drawn out on a board with the wires taped/pinned down then when you rewrap it you know you've got it all right & it'll fit straight back in.

I bought an entire new loom for my A40 when I was in Cyprus.  If you can get one for the A40, which is pretty poorly-supported as classic cars go, then you should have no trouble at all getting one for a Capri, which is much better-supplied.  Brand new loom = no issues at all, in theory.

Just remember, the sane people are in Ikea on a Sunday.

This is fabulous.  Thanks for sharing with us, and for all the pictures.  These mk2 Capris seem especially rare to me, frankly I can't remember when I last saw one it is so long. 

Also shows that the Autoshite community is quite diverse........but please keep the updates coming, I can't wait.

Thin double white coachlines? Teak effect plastic wood dash? The big two spoke Capri II steering wheel?

You could Vinylcote good brown vinyl seats to black......?

Is that vinylcote any good? I always imagine it looking the part when it's just been applied, then as soon as you sit on it it cracks leaving the base colour showing through the cracks. Or it Rubs off on your trousers!

I'm not sure the best way to tackle the interior tbh. A part of me wants to get the best from both interiors and retrim the brown seats into new black half vinyl as originally fitted. But then I think how much of a shame it'd be to destroy the brown seats as they're still in such good original nik. Someone could make good use of those! If only they were black!

My steering wheel is the big two spoke jobby, same as the mk1 facelift. The later mk2's had a different wheel again. Mines got the optional leather factory cover over the wheel rim too.

I'll stretch the loom out I think and see what I can think of. Maybe if I cable tie it together at junction points/spurs and/or every foot or so in length just to stop it all falling apart when the old tape comes off then repair anything that needs it. Then just wrap it up in new loom tape.

As far as I know the only altered part is the radios section. Obviously there was no radio fitted from New so when the Radiomobile went in it got an old inline fuse feed added. It looks ok and they did bother to put the fuse bit in but I'll check it over thoroughly first.

Everything did work before though, so in theory the wiring should be ok. Should be.

I'll clean up or replace the connectors, spades etc etc too.

I've got a new radiator coming in the next few days too. It's an original Ford one with the metal top and bottom tanks, but it's got a brand new core, this being the Cortina 2.3 style core with extra radiator tubes so it should be a bit of an upgrade over standard but still look the same.

New coil coming too, I dug the old one out today for Stanky to borrow for his Jago. It works fine but it's a bit corroded and shitty to look at, not in keeping with my fresh engine bay! So since they're cheap enough I've just bought a new one.

I might dig the heater unit out soon too and put a new heater matrix into it, and make sure the fan motor is ok. It worked but was a bit squeaky from memory.

It'd be nice to have more or less all the parts ready and built up to just pick up and bolt into the shell once it's home.