Project Capri. Back on the road! New earths.

danthecapriman

Thought I'd start a thread about my old Capri since it's now reached it's turn in the que to receive a bit of attention.

I've actually had this since 2001, it's an early mk2, on an M reg 1974. Being an early car it's still got mk1 rear axle and single acting type rear brake set up aswell as a few other minor differences from later cars just to use up remaining mk1 parts.

It started life here in the Portsmouth area and doesn't seem to have ventured far since.

Originally a stardust silver 1.6 L poverty model, which means virtually sod all regarding luxuries. Basic 2 pod dash with black 'crackle' finish facia, no radio, no sun roof or vinyl roof, not even a centre console!

When I got to it unfortunately it had suffered severely from serious rust and latterly a vandal attack, having it's door and rear quarter panel booted in.

Over the next couple of years I got it sorted and a cheap re paint into roman bronze, which was a favourite colour of mine at the time. For the first year or two it seemed fine but since then things have deteriorated.

The respray wasn't good! It's thin in places and started to micro blister in various places, worst of which is all over the bonnet. The same bodyshop also did a bit of the bodywork I hadn't finished which was also pretty poor in some places.

It's always been a great driver and never struggles at mot time so I just kept on using it and doing nothing more than collecting parts now and again with a view to sort it one day.

It's also gained a few non original extras over the years like a higher spec wood effect 2 pod dash facia (which I like more than the original), a short console, brown interior instead of the utterly fucked black original, 'laser' 4 spoke alloys and a few other things.

Anyway, fast forward to last weekend, when I dusted it off after winter and noticed various areas of new rust coming through or older rust that's gotten worse. So the decision was made to go for a professional resto job now before I end up finding something else to distract me (like big american cars with knackered engines!).

38368442804_ed11569696_o.jpg1974 Ford Capri BBK244M by Dan Clark, on Flickr

Here it is as it currently stands. Looks ok from a distance but the reality is very rough around the edges and the paint is so bad in places it's becoming embarrassing!

34825831003_cdda3675a2_o.jpgIMG_0509 by Dan Clark, on Flickr

And the interior which I'll be re trimming into black leather at some point after the body works done.

It's been taken to the same place that did my Mercury's engine rebuild, since they did such a good job and they seem a good professional bunch.

I dropped it off Monday afternoon for a thorough check over to build up a list of work and get a rough quote.

Today I heard back from them.

Good news so far, I suppose. It is as solid where it counts as I thought it was. Chassis is fine, original strut tops fine, most of the back end is solid and just needs a few repairs here and there.

The worst is the bottom of the windscreen surround due to the wrong seal being used and then fitted badly causing leaks. Inner sill to A post bottom corner very scabby, front wings pretty crap, and various paint defects etc.

The engine is fine, compression all in tolerances. Suspension needs work, and some brake pipes are getting quite rusty. So far so good and no surprises!

There's still more checking to do over the next few days but it sounds alright so far.

This work should be made a bit easier by having a lot of panels and parts to fix things already. The big find being a new unused pair of front wings. Very hard to find mk2 items now, though I did have to pay for them!

The plan here is to make the car solid, reliable and good looking. I'm not making a show car or going too mad as that stuffs not my thing and if it was I'd start with a better more original car.

Some of the later add ons will be ditched like the mk3 boot spoiler that I hate! And return it to more standard looking mk2 as it should be. No go faster mods or anything like that.

The main priority is to get the body sorted and painted properly (engine out job and everything) then maybe a bit of mechanical work as needed.

The original idea was to re paint back into original stardust silver, but having thought about it I'm leaning more towards another favourite Ford colour of the era, Miami blue metallic, which is a lovely colour! Any opinions?

This will be another expensive project but not one I think I could do at home on the drive and do justice to, so I'd prefer to farm it out and get it right this time. It also means I can carry on working on my Transit and Granada at home without another distraction!

For anyone whose interested I'll try to update this now and then as things progress. I'll also try to get the old pics of the car from when I got it so you can see how rusty it was! Bear in mind though that I paid £100 for this car in 2001 with MOT and tax! Try doing that now.

I'm sure this is going to be worth the expense, not that I'm even considering selling it of course but I've had it so long I kind of feel obligated to do right by the car in a weird way!

Thought I'd start a thread about my old Capri since it's now reached it's turn in the que to receive a bit of attention.

I've actually had this since 2001, it's an early mk2, on an M reg 1974. Being an early car it's still got mk1 rear axle and single acting type rear brake set up aswell as a few other minor differences from later cars just to use up remaining mk1 parts.

It started life here in the Portsmouth area and doesn't seem to have ventured far since.

Originally a stardust silver 1.6 L poverty model, which means virtually sod all regarding luxuries. Basic 2 pod dash with black 'crackle' finish facia, no radio, no sun roof or vinyl roof, not even a centre console!

When I got to it unfortunately it had suffered severely from serious rust and latterly a vandal attack, having it's door and rear quarter panel booted in.

Over the next couple of years I got it sorted and a cheap re paint into roman bronze, which was a favourite colour of mine at the time. For the first year or two it seemed fine but since then things have deteriorated.

The respray wasn't good! It's thin in places and started to micro blister in various places, worst of which is all over the bonnet. The same bodyshop also did a bit of the bodywork I hadn't finished which was also pretty poor in some places.

It's always been a great driver and never struggles at mot time so I just kept on using it and doing nothing more than collecting parts now and again with a view to sort it one day.

It's also gained a few non original extras over the years like a higher spec wood effect 2 pod dash facia (which I like more than the original), a short console, brown interior instead of the utterly fucked black original, 'laser' 4 spoke alloys and a few other things.

Anyway, fast forward to last weekend, when I dusted it off after winter and noticed various areas of new rust coming through or older rust that's gotten worse. So the decision was made to go for a professional resto job now before I end up finding something else to distract me (like big american cars with knackered engines!).image.jpg1_zpseldy70ha.jpg

Here it is as it currently stands. Looks ok from a distance but the reality is very rough around the edges and the paint is so bad in places it's becoming embarrassing!2014-10-22095620_zpsb5036253.jpg

And the interior which I'll be re trimming into black leather at some point after the body works done.

It's been taken to the same place that did my Mercury's engine rebuild, since they did such a good job and they seem a good professional bunch.

I dropped it off Monday afternoon for a thorough check over to build up a list of work and get a rough quote.

Today I heard back from them.

Good news so far, I suppose. It is as solid where it counts as I thought it was. Chassis is fine, original strut tops fine, most of the back end is solid and just needs a few repairs here and there.

The worst is the bottom of the windscreen surround due to the wrong seal being used and then fitted badly causing leaks. Inner sill to A post bottom corner very scabby, front wings pretty crap, and various paint defects etc.

The engine is fine, compression all in tolerances. Suspension needs work, and some brake pipes are getting quite rusty. So far so good and no surprises!

There's still more checking to do over the next few days but it sounds alright so far.

This work should be made a bit easier by having a lot of panels and parts to fix things already. The big find being a new unused pair of front wings. Very hard to find mk2 items now, though I did have to pay for them!

The plan here is to make the car solid, reliable and good looking. I'm not making a show car or going too mad as that stuffs not my thing and if it was I'd start with a better more original car.

Some of the later add ons will be ditched like the mk3 boot spoiler that I hate! And return it to more standard looking mk2 as it should be. No go faster mods or anything like that.

The main priority is to get the body sorted and painted properly (engine out job and everything) then maybe a bit of mechanical work as needed.

The original idea was to re paint back into original stardust silver, but having thought about it I'm leaning more towards another favourite Ford colour of the era, Miami blue metallic, which is a lovely colour! Any opinions?

This will be another expensive project but not one I think I could do at home on the drive and do justice to, so I'd prefer to farm it out and get it right this time. It also means I can carry on working on my Transit and Granada at home without another distraction!

For anyone whose interested I'll try to update this now and then as things progress. I'll also try to get the old pics of the car from when I got it so you can see how rusty it was! Bear in mind though that I paid £100 for this car in 2001 with MOT and tax! Try doing that now.

I'm sure this is going to be worth the expense, not that I'm even considering selling it of course but I've had it so long I kind of feel obligated to do right by the car in a weird way!

If you are keen to do it blue, might I suggest Hawaiian Blue?

Roman Bronze is my fave Ford colour, so would say keep it that colour!

I do still like the colour, but I've decided since most of the old paint is pretty crap and will get damaged during the metalwork process it's the ideal time for a change.

One of my biggest regrets after having it painted last time was not going blue! The decisions not final yet though, there's a lot to do before it gets painted anyway.

Good to see a Mk2 without vinyl roof - but that is probably played a big part in your car's survival.

Miami Blue is a good colour, but I reckon it would be great in the same paint as the Mercury!

Yes, I like them without vinyl roofs, they look nice and clean without. It didn't have one from new but somehow ended up with one when I got it, which turned out to be a right pain to try and get it all off!

Not having one definitely is a bonus, no rusty roof or pillars.

The paint on the Mercury looks to me very similar to Ford (Europe) Highland green, but maybe a shade lighter.

I'd leave the interior- it has patina. Besides, the biggest headache for old ford owners is getting hold of good trim.

This is very true. The problem is if I paint the car blue or silver the interior is the wrong colour. I'm not sure a brown interior will look right with blue or silver bodywork?

On the plus side, that split on the seam of the drivers seat is the only damage to these seats, they are in very good condition otherwise, if I did re trim them in black those brown good condition seats covers would be taken off and replaced.

I've still got the cars original black interior, but it's in a bad way! Maybe re trimming the original seats and selling the good brown ones is another option?

That interior wants leaving well alone. It's been that way for over 40 years and it's splendid. Black leather will ruin it, sorry.

And why colour change it? Roman bronze is a superb colour. Perhaps you should sell this one and buy a rough old Mark III.

Got a few big boxes through the post today. Like Christmas!

Box 1, from Germany contained a new front screen rubber, rear screen rubber, chrome effect trim for the screen rubbers, new front wing/wheel arch mount brackets and a brand new never used genuine Ford rear light cluster for my Transit!

Box 2, contained a pair of door glass rubber weather strips, and a pair of new door seals.

I also had a new headlining kit and clips delivered on Tuesday, same as the original in the fetching shade of 'putty', which is beige!

Just got a new carpet and under felt/sound deadening pads still outstanding. Made to order apparently.

I've got to find all the bits for this project now, everything I've ever bought for it is scattered around the house and shed safely stored, so well I'm having a job remembering where.

It's not a cheap hobby anymore, this old Ford thing. That little lot above cost a shit load. The Transit light alone was £90!

Once I've got all the parts together I'll get a pic of the parts pile.

I love that, is it a 'Mk1.5'? It must be the colour but that front end screams Mk2 at me.

Anyhow, it looks ace and I'm jealous!

It's a very early one. They started making the mk2 in January 74, this one was built March 74 so it'll be amongst the very oldest mk2's now.

I think I read somewhere these early ones are basically a mk1 facelift Capri but with a new 3 door mk2 body style.

Apparently the first mk3,s were similar, essentially a mk2 but with mk3 style parts added on.

Parts are mega expensive now, it's one of the theorys behind why there's been so many stolen recently. Yours looks great already in Bronze, I think that colour suits the 70sness of that shape especially with the matching interior.

My Cortina is the same age as yours and is Miami blue.

post-3625-145702047572_thumb.jpg

Cosmos blue? Same as my old cortina. Think it would go well with some plain silver sport steels.

attachicon.gif20131019_142323.jpg

My Dad had a Cortina like that in Cosmos Blue with an amazeballs brown velour interior.   2.0 Ghia.   LME 450W where are you now?

Brown can go well with blue paint but why go to the hassle and expense of repainting?   It looks good now, just tidy up and enjoy.

Good move, Dan.

Miami blue?  Maybe, maybe not, for a Capri.  Hawaiian or Cosmos suits it much better IMHO.  Or Peppermint Green?  The brown interior would work well with that!  I remember many years ago, the garage where I worked had a Hawaiian Blue mk2 on sale, and one in Roman Bronze.  I always thought the blue one looked particularly smart.  Just my 2 cents...

It's not just Ford - the price of a lot of stuff is getting silly. Certain Parts for my SD1are getting hard to obtain, even stuff like Brake drums. Car prices are getting silly as well - a series 1 2600 that needed a lot of work went for £1650 on a certain auction site.

It's a very early one. They started making the mk2 in January 74, this one was built March 74 so it'll be amongst the very oldest mk2's now.

I think I read somewhere these early ones are basically a mk1 facelift Capri but with a new 3 door mk2 body style.

Apparently the first mk3,s were similar, essentially a mk2 but with mk3 style parts added on.

I do (vaguely) recall seeing 1975 Mk2s, about but I still can't get my head round them being that early. Roman bronze is one of the nicest colours Ford knocked out in the 1970s, I had a Mk2 1.6GL in that colour, albeit as a spares car for my Olympic (?) blue Mk2, another nice colour that one. 

If it's 1974, I don't think it will be Roman Polanski bronze but the very similar Copper brown met. colour code 7. What does the VIN plate say?

It was Stardust silver originally according to the vin tag, 'L' spec and 'BLK' interior, which means black!

Hence why I'm considering a colour swap and going back to a black interior.

I'm a bit less into Roman bronze now than I was when I first had it painted, I still like it though. But, I love Miami blue, it's a lovely colour and I think it'll look fantastic on this, especially without a vinyl roof.

The reason I was thinking about going to original silver was purely to return it to original ish condition, but given how much has changed and the amount of bodywork it's already had replaced is it really worth worrying about? Why not go for something I really like instead, hence the Miami blue idea.

I think Roman bronze was introduced in 1975 btw, so this cars technically too old to of ever had it from new. I did briefly consider doing it in Daytona yellow last time it got painted! Nice 70's colour but I'm glad I didn't do that now!