Project Capri. Back on the road! New earths.

danthecapriman

Excellent, perfect day for it too.  Really liking the colour especially in the sun!

You've probably already done them in wax but if not try and get some in the following places.  Not trying to be a smart arse but its such a nice car and these places are usually the first to start rusting.

Top of headlamp bowels from inside front wings

Top corner of front wings by the windscreen/doors

Leading edge of bonnet

Scuttle corners (may not be possible with screen in)

Inside both doors right at the front corner where they meet the front wings

Bottom of rear quarters either side of the boot floor (especially the passenger side)

Base of boot lid where the outer skin folds under

post-20612-0-78832000-1532285168_thumb.jpg

That and those A post shields you put on should keep the rust away.  Keep up the good work!

Rustproofing is properly wholesome work, as mentioned before it's a deeply satisfying job! Thoroughly approve of the Bilthamber products too, with a car as clean as that cavity waxing is a no brainer IMO.

I'm envious that you can afford to do it with aerosols, much more civilised and far cleaner than using a compressor but at circa £15 per 750ml vs a 5l jerrycan for £46 it's double the price -_-

When I do it I'm so mean that I usually put Tupperware tubs under the various drainage points to catch any run-off and then reload the shutz/cavity gun with it  :ph34r:

Thanks Rich. Any/all advice gratefully received.

I’ll cover all those areas with the Dynax S50. I might hopefully be able to get the injection lance up under the screen surround. Failing that maybe try going in through a hole higher up the screen pillar and injecting the wax down it.

I’ve got a couple of cans of the thicker UB wax too, the clear stuff though, which I’ll use on areas subject to stone chips etc. I’m tempted to do the entire inside faces of the front valance panel too. They always seem to rot out along the bottom edge and the outer edge against the join to the wings.

Does anyone know where the floor pan bungs go?

I’ve got loads of oval shaped metal ones, and two plastic oval ones. Obviously they go in the oval holes in the floor but where do the two plastic ones go? I think they’re for the two holes into the chassis legs at the front end of the floor/heel board area. Not 100% though?

Also the smaller circular hole bungs. There’s six of them made in rubber but does the smooth domed face go inside the car or facing the outside?

I really wish I’d taken more photos before I started this...

Rustproofing is properly wholesome work, as mentioned before it's a deeply satisfying job! Thoroughly approve of the Bilthamber products too, with a car as clean as that cavity waxing is a no brainer IMO.

I'm envious that you can afford to do it with aerosols, much more civilised and far cleaner than using a compressor but at circa £15 per 750ml vs a 5l jerrycan for £46 it's double the price -_-

When I do it I'm so mean that I usually put Tupperware tubs under the various drainage points to catch any run-off and then reload the shutz/cavity gun with it  :ph34r:

I don’t have a compressor unfortunately! And yes, the aerosols are sodding expensive! Got to be done though.

I’ve used Bilthamber stuff a lot over the years and found it to be absolutely superb stuff. I did use the Dinitrol stuff but I don’t find it half as good. Plus the BH comes in supersize cans!

I really screwed up this time too. It must have been so hot today the wax went like water. There’s huge patches on the drive where I just couldn’t catch it all! Good job the drives a mess already.

I’m still covered in it too! And it’s all up my nose!

Agreed, Dinitrol is nowhere near as good.

I don't have a compressor either, I have to bend a mate with a garage's arm to use the set up/pit/ramp if he has as cancellation/fancies an early finish on a Friday etc etc :ph34r:

I always feel great knowing it's in there doing it's thing and really soaking into to everything, well worth getting mucky! I usually bin the clothes I've worn as it ends up soaking through the cheap hazmat suits from Screwfix, the only way to get it off skin and out of hair seems to be with rags soaked in white spirits. Bad times.

Floor bungs / holes in the floor...

The oval ones are for the chassis leg holes inside the car.  Having a mix of metal and plastic is a bit odd but I've not stripped a Mk2 unfortunately.  I'm going to guess the plastic ones go here as on a mk3 they just used black tape.  The round ones are probably for the inner sills but again on the Mk3 they just used tape.  Any rubber bungs on the car should have the smooth side facing you as you install it.

post-20612-0-38828900-1532292007_thumb.jpg

Any unused captive nuts in the back also have their own type of bung.

post-20612-0-31397500-1532292076_thumb.jpg

Any holes you don't have bungs for need some black duct tape.  Ford used that method over many holes that don't see any weather.  For a true authentic restoration you need to apply this tape as badly as possible!

post-20612-0-24383700-1532292730_thumb.jpg

Do you have any pressed round metal bungs?  Should be two for the large round holes in the floor at the front and another two in the spare wheel well.

post-20612-0-45334700-1532292218_thumb.jpgpost-20612-0-08557700-1532292462_thumb.jpg

With regards to the waxing the aerosol cans aren’t brilliant.  Theres a lot of solvent in the wax so it can spray properly which makes the wax very thin and watery.  The stuff you by in jugs for use with a compressor is much thicker and will only spray under pressure.  You can get the job done with cans but it'll be expensive!

Anybody nearby with a compressor?  I'm about two hours away and happy to assist if you need some help.

Cheers Rich, those pics will come in handy for my sound deadening too!

The oval ones, most of mine are metal with the sprung tabs on the backs. I have two identical shape ones in black plastic with two little tabs on the backs. Under the rear seat would make sense.

The round ones, small ones are all rubber. There’s six and I’ve got six suitable holes in the floors with they do seem to fit in. I hadn’t thought about the inner sills. I’d assumed they would have the tape. My mk2 Granada had the black tape on that so I’d assumed a Capri would be the same.

The black rubber bunks were covered in old paint and manky underseal though so I’m fairly sure they must have been underneath?

Big round metal ones, I’ve got two old ones and two new. I’ve only got two big round holes from memory but I’ll check again as I didn’t look in the spare wheel well.

I’ve got some of those captive nut plugs too, great you mention those as I had no idea what they were for!

I might try to get a compressor at some point but for now I’m stuck without. I might try doing a second pass over everything once this lot’s gone off. Can’t do any harm can it!?

I’ll have to wipe down everything underneath too as there’s little blobs and drips of wax on my blue underside at the moment.

Another pass with cans is fine.  Just watch you don't overdo it or the solvent will cause the previous attempt to start running.  

Didn't see you had six of those bungs.  They go in the rear foot wells at the end of the three long pressings.  From this pic theres another large metal bung so that makes 6 of those in a Mk3.  Your Mk2 might be different though.

post-20612-0-62198800-1532296702_thumb.jpg

Sound deadening is easy but again this applies to Mk3.  

1 or 2 halves of shaped bulkhead liner faced with tar

1 centre console section 

4 floor pan sections faced with tar or something similar

2 bits to cover the rear wheel tubs again tar faced

1 bit of thin horsehair type stuff under rear seat base

Various bits for the roof which differ depending on whether a sunroof is fitted

Most of that is usually buggered so I typically make it all again unless the originals are very good such as the ones below which I ended up reusing.

post-20612-0-58635900-1532297146_thumb.jpgpost-20612-0-66212100-1532297390_thumb.jpg

post-20612-0-02033700-1532297511_thumb.jpgpost-20612-0-35321400-1532297638_thumb.jpg

Let me know if you need any more pics.

Too hot today for more work like yesterday’s. It’s seriously hot here.

So instead I’ve done some odd bits and bobs and a bit of shopping for a few bits.

First up the floor bungs/plugs.

These have all been washed and cleaned up, and in the case of the metal ones had a good rub down and a bit of rust converter on a couple of them.

The big circular metal ones are a pair of new reproduction and a pair of original good ones that came off this car.

post-3771-0-11493600-1532360214_thumb.jpeg

They’ve come up ok in blue. The top faces won’t be seen on the round ones as they get covered by sound deadening and carpets and the others will be fully hidden, but it’s nice to keep everything clean and nice beforehand!

These are the other bungs/plugs.

Small circular rubber, 6 of.

post-3771-0-16147700-1532360348_thumb.jpeg

Two plastic oval, 2 of.

post-3771-0-24306300-1532360406_thumb.jpeg

Finished the callipers off too and removed the masking. I think they look nice, the black should stop them being too obvious when looking at the wheels. I’d considered doing them in blue but I think it’s better on a car like this to keep everything subtle. A loud colour might make it look a bit ‘boy racer-ish’.

On the shopping list has been some gearbox and diff oils. A few extra brake fittings and some proper wiring loom tape.

The loom, I’ve had a look at all the sections of it and it’s in good condition really. The old tape is filthy and gone crispy so that can go in the bin and be redone. There’s a couple of terminals to remake aswell but overall for something that’s over 40 years old it’s fine. There’s no signs of any burning or damage so I’m going to go with reusing it after a clean and retape.

Dan

You might find this You Tube video useful info about harness tape and winding:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MehjltOq-jc

Andy

That machine is brilliant. No safety guards or anything!

The tape I’ve got coming is similar but it’s the softer fabric lined tape for classic vehicles. I don’t think these cars would have it from new, just the standard vinyl tape, but the fabric stuff should be better lasting and look nicer!

This thread makes me feel like a Neanderthal.

The Capri is going to be on another level once completed, the attention to detail is spot on.

By this stage if it was me I'd be cutting corners, growing restless and putting things back together in a hurry, hat's off to you for the level of care/attention. Thoroughly enjoying every update :)

Mrs is out all day Saturday Dan, if you need a hand with anything I can pop over

Cheers. Typically I’m working Saturday though! Offer much appreciated though so another time perhaps?

This thread makes me feel like a Neanderthal.

The Capri is going to be on another level once completed, the attention to detail is spot on.

By this stage if it was me I'd be cutting corners, growing restless and putting things back together in a hurry, hat's off to you for the level of care/attention. Thoroughly enjoying every update :)

Believe me I’m fighting every urge to do that!

It’s been so long since it came off the road and the end is in sight(ish) now and I just want to jump in it and go but I just have to keep reminding myself to do everything right and take my time. There’s no deadline to beat so why rush.

It was pointless really painting most of those bungs as they get covered over and are never seen but I can’t bring myself to put dirty scabby crap back into the nice shell.

It’s nice having a car this clean of course but there’s an awful lot to be said for having cars that are solid and tidy but not quite as mint as this as it means you worry less about things being clean and immaculate. I feel like this has absolutely got to be as perfect as possible!

Cheers. Typically I’m working Saturday though! Offer much appreciated though so another time perhaps?

Bummer. I can't ever guarantee I'll be finished work at a sensible time during the week, garden waste is really really heavy going at the moment and invariable absolutely mentally and physically shagged out by time I get home, but welcome to give us a shout if you're in a pickle with something. I may be able to take a long detour home!

Just had a couple of photos emailed from the trimmer.

All four door cards are now finished and the rear seats are also about done.

post-3771-0-04314400-1533071749_thumb.jpeg

post-3771-0-91003600-1533071777_thumb.jpeg

Looks brilliant imho.

The exact fabric for the cloth centres isn’t available anymore so an alternative had to be found so it’s not 100% as it left the factory but I’m well pleased with how these look.

Just the two front seats to go!

Once I’ve got the interior back that’s about the end of the ‘big ticket’ items to sort and pay for. It’s all assembly and building the car back up then.

Easy...

Ah, I was worried about parking my shite Fiesta near your Capri , as it would make mine look double shite ...Not so bad now, if you've had to settle for imitation repro fabric  :-D  :-D

Sharp intake of breath.... :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:

The bolster on my car was holed :-( , so i bought a whole car just for the drivers seat  :-D  60 quids ! 

yours look fantastic