Project Capri. Back on the road! New earths.

danthecapriman

Earth strap location to cylinder head.

1277733035_EarthStrap2.thumb.JPG.1cf12f428c8ee66437e618b10c6fe9ab.JPG

A condenser is unlikely to fail in a way that will kill the spark.  It can only do that by shorting out internally to its own housing and then via the distributor.

With no earth strap many cars will use a cable or bracket and melt something in the process.  Your car is mint and everything is painted so it wont be able to find another route to the body.  The result is no spark whatsoever, hope that helps.

Edit...  This is a much later engine and might differ to yours.  The V6 certainly has a threaded hole and yours might be the same.

If there was no earth from the engine to the body then yes, there would be no spark - but the fact it's cranking OK suggests there is an OK earth. But as stated, could be melting your throttle or clutch cables!

Your checks suggest that the primary coil winding is OK (also that the condenser has not failed short circuit at least). Worth repeating the test with the positive probe on the coil - terminal with the points closed; should be very close to 0 volts.

Don't give up now mate, you're close! And you have successfully narrowed down the problem to only a handful of possibles.

Thanks for all the help fellas!

I must admit, it’s beginning to wear through now. It’s been such a long hard slog up to now, and I just feel it’s beating me.

Ive got no self confidence at the best of times tbh and I just feel like everything I do is such a struggle because I’m no good at what I’m doing. I’d hoped to try getting it running today as a bit of a boost! Sadly I seem to have fallen short of the mark once again.

Ill give it another go tomorrow and see what I can come up with though.

I think* ive cracked it!

Looks to be the points. Simple, yet not obvious!

I tried adding an extra earth with a jump lead, clipped it onto the bare metal body of the dizzy and battery N terminal. Cranked it over and no change, still no spark.

Tested a few more things, on cranking tested volts and they seem all good still, so even under load it’s still ok. Yet no spark.

Now, looking at everything nothing appears to be wrong. But I had the ignition switched on, and pushed the points together, which resulted in shit loads of sparks and arcing between them. Yet looking at them they look closed, obviously they can’t be closing properly.

After finding that, I used a pen to push the points together while I held the HT king lead against a clean earth. With someone else cranking the engine over there was a clear spark jumping between the king lead and earth.

That’s got to be it I think. Obviously I can’t try starting it as I can’t hold the points together with it cranking or with the dizzy cap on. I’ve taken the points out, cleaned them with emery paper but they’re still not closing together reliably. I think they’ve just had their day tbh.

Ive got a new set on order, should be here in a few days, though I’m tempted to fit the electronic ignition?? I’m 99% sure it’ll go with that fitted tbh, but on the other hand, I don’t know if that works either! It’s new but you never know. I might end up introducing a new problem.

New points are often shite.  Cheap patterns that cause more issues than they solve, Yours were fine, when laid up.

So, I’d prefer the originals. You’ll find ‘ adjustment’ in the screw- loosening it will allow you to adjust them to more open or closed.  Make the gap a little wide if in doubt, rather than a little  closed. 

44 minutes ago, nigel bickle said:

New points are often shite.  Cheap patterns that cause more issues than they solve, Yours were fine, when laid up.

So, I’d prefer the originals. You’ll find ‘ adjustment’ in the screw- loosening it will allow you to adjust them to more open or closed.  Make the gap a little wide if in doubt, rather than a little  closed. 

This set of points aren’t exactly quality items either! They were cheapo Intermotor items, I fitted them probably 10 or so years ago when having problems with the previous set after winter lay up. No idea why they worked 4 years ago when the car came apart but now they won’t? They’ve done nothing but sit there! Unless they’ve arced and got an uneven contact face or something? A little high spot or glazed over is all it takes on tiny contacts I suppose.

Despite not selling a set of Capri points for probably twenty years I still know you need intermotor 22740 for a motor craft distributor. 

If only I could remember what I did yesterday. 

Intermotor stuff was pretty good quality in the day but I think they may just be a name on a Chinese box these days. 

4 minutes ago, Timewaster said:

Despite not selling a set of Capri points for probably twenty years I still know you need intermotor 22740 for a motor craft distributor. 

If only I could remember what I did yesterday. 

Intermotor stuff was pretty good quality in the day but I think they may just be a name on a Chinese box these days. 

How the hell do you remember that! I can’t even remember my own phone number! Your right though.

I think most makes are the same cheap Chinese/Indian shit in different packets these days. You just look at them and they look absolute cheap  wank! When I was doing this on the Mercury, most of them were India or Mexico made. The Mex stuff was by far the best but still not guaranteed to be be perfect.

Why in this day and age getting stuff like this to a high quality is difficult I do not know!  

20 hours ago, nigel bickle said:

it’s the points, mate. Run a bit of sandpaper between them a few times. That’ll sort it. No need to go to big expense.

Like the man said yesterday.  you said iyou were going to try it.

Do it now! I want to hear it running.

Clean the grit out after sanding, with a piece of cardboard or it still won't go.

D.T.C

"..Why in this day and age getting stuff like this to a high quality is difficult I do not know!  "

Agreed.... Some 'pimply herbert', with a 3D printer, could probably produce 'Last a 100,000mile' cam- heels.

Catching the eye of the 973 people who fit 'new points' annually [who ACTUALLY DO  fB.... ] would give him some trouble likely ?

9 minutes ago, Mally said:

Like the man said yesterday.  you said iyou were going to try it.

Do it now! I want to hear it running.

Clean the grit out after sanding, with a piece of cardboard or it still won't go.

I tried earlier. It still wasn’t having it. They close up, but don’t quite touch as they should. If you then push them together it sparks. 

One of the point contacts is slightly angled too, so only about a third or so of the contact will touch the other one.

Famous last words here, but it WILL run by next weekend... might even try again tomorrow if I get chance.

18 minutes ago, Christine said:

Adjust it with the screwdriver slot !  Not the springy side ...the baseplate side!  Even Haynes is your friend here ?

I put everything and the car away ages ago, other things to do this afternoon. I’ve had enough of it for now.

Ill try to have a go again tomorrow if I can. It’ll probably go tbh. I’ve had the points out and polished the faces with emery and they don’t look so bad now.

If it does fire, it’ll be loud! No exhaust yet!

4 hours ago, danthecapriman said:

No idea why they worked 4 years ago when the car came apart but now they won’t? They’ve done nothing but sit there!

My old mower engine (1960s) used to have points, and every Spring I'd try and start it after only 4 months idle. Every time I'd need to replace the points to get a spark! I've now fitted electronic ignition, and it starts second pull even after the Winter :-) (Pulling over a non-starting 350cc single cylinder engine is no fun...)

3 hours ago, danthecapriman said:

How the hell do you remember that! I can’t even remember my own phone number! Your right though.

Started as a Saturday job when I was about 14. Probably sold 20 sets of points on a busy Saturday  and there was only 6 types that fitted most cars. 

After 6 months I would get complete service kits together without looking at the books. 

Unless it was a Renault 5 or 340 Volvo. They were a choice of 6 and still never fitted. 

I can remember all sorts of crap like that.   Can't remember if I locked the door or where in supposed to be tomorrow though. 

On 5/30/2020 at 11:06 PM, danthecapriman said:

Ive got no self confidence at the best of times tbh and I just feel like everything I do is such a struggle because I’m no good at what I’m doing.

From what I've seen Dan everything looks better than good and you still keep going, most people wouldn't even attempt what you are doing, don't be so hard on yourself ?️????????

Why don't you just fit the electronic ignition if you're going to anyway? 

Saves the struggle with points. I fitted a Powerspark electronic ignition to my Beetle years ago when it kept fading on me. 

I understand the frustration, many times I wielded a lump hammer at the Beetle then shut the garage and walked away.

1 hour ago, mitsisigma01 said:

From what I've seen Dan everything looks better than good and you still keep going, most people wouldn't even attempt what you are doing, don't be so hard on yourself ?️????????

Cheers mate. 

21 minutes ago, Crusty Sills said:

Why don't you just fit the electronic ignition if you're going to anyway? 

Saves the struggle with points. I fitted a Powerspark electronic ignition to my Beetle years ago when it kept fading on me. 

I understand the frustration, many times I wielded a lump hammer at the Beetle then shut the garage and walked away.

I wanted it running on points for now, just to see if it runs and stick to the basics without introducing another variable. The electronic kit might be duff out the box for all I know. Saying that, the points are out now anyway so it’s probably irrelevant now!

Ive not touched it yet anyway, if anyone was waiting for updates. Not sure if I’m going to either. Bad news at home and another boot to the bollocks has killed enthusiasm for now.