Yugoslavian Ami.., continuing on from 'now-autoshites-flimsy-bodied Shitroen'

Bfg

I haven't used mine since September. It killed the replacement fuel pump I put in and I didn't get a chance to deal with it until I changed jobs a few weeks ago. New pump is in and it's seemingly running perfectly again. I won't risk the 290 miles to Retro Rides Gathering and back for its first journey, but it should be fine to press back into daily service again.

I like your wingnut tap modification for the suspension links - which I admit I didn't see 6 months ago in my complete work/life void period. I have a 3" round tap head at home which I think I can modify to do the same job.

Wednesday :

post-20151-0-42657200-1534534621_thumb.jpg

^ I understand this is called 'living the dream'

..well it certainly is more satisfying than my last few places of work !   ..But what happened to the overflowing bank accounts ?, the Aston DB5 and Jaguar XK150S roadster in the stables on my private estate ?, the sexy cute redhead ?,  and/or the crystal clear waters of the Maldives ? 

Bfg 8)

• 2 months later...

Unexpected and sad news.. my dearest friend Jani, in Slovenia, died in his sleep the night before last.  Jani was more than a friend to me, he was more my little brother.  And yet he was also the most inspiring and uplifting person I've ever known. 

He has been so kind and supportive of me ..long before, during, and subsequently to my buying this Ami Super in Koper.

post-20151-0-66392400-1540899798_thumb.jpg

He viewed the car on my behalf (pre-purchase) before I saw it.  He gave me accommodation and transport and acted as translator when I went across to look at the car for myself, and then bought it.  He dealt with all the registration paperwork in Slovenia, and its transport to the underground garage of the paraplegic resort - where together we as a family worked on the car and got it running, before it went to be body-off restored.  He and his family accommodated me when I visited, and then again he arranged transport of the car back to his home ..where again we each worked on it.  Without ever a complaint or upset word, he chased around looking for necessary car parts and services.  And then when I couldn't fix the steering rack - he again arranged transport of the car across Europe to the cross-channel ferry terminal.  Without him this car just wouldn't have happened for me.  And although I have reservations about the car (it being somewhat small for someone of my size) and the professional work done - Jani and his family's part in the experience was altogether wonderful. 

We were of course in regular contact since. Indeed just last week I sent him this picture of the car outside my home . . 

God knows.. I will miss him.

post-20151-0-36632400-1540507357.jpg

bloody hell dude, was he not well? ( sorry if i missed something)

Long-term paraplegics have bouts of not being well.  If it's not pressure-sores or muscle sprains (ergonomics of a wheelchair are dire to the user's arms and shoulder joints).. then its because the stomach and kidneys don't take kindly to the upper body slumping down on them all day, every day.  (ie., the person not being able to stand up).   So, although I knew of the long-term issues I didn't know of anything seriously imminent.  Indeed just a few months ago he was talking about coming across to visit me here in the UK,  but then his daughter finally announced her engagement,  and so he focused on making their upstair's apartment (formerly his father's) into a more comfortable and cosy home for the young couple.

Aside from that Jani was always busy with volunteer work for the Slovene paraplegic association, and he recently became co-deputy chairman of  ESCIF (european spinal-cord-injury federation) ..an umbrella charity which pulls the representation and work of different country's paraplegic organisations together for mutual benefit).  And then he knew more famous people (..albeit in Slovenia and across Europe) than anyone else I know,  and used those contacts and friendships to help others.   On top of being a husband and a dad, and a really good friend - I reckon that was enough. B)

• 5 weeks later...

Nothing much new on the Ami front ..save a pleasant surprise with the insurance, through Footman James.  Last year the comprehensive premium was £105.38 including agreed value, whereas this year the renewal (same insurance particulars) dropped to £85.73 despite the arrangement fee going up by five quid. 

And as I've just sold my 1996 BMW K75 motorcycle, which I also had insured with FJ - I was due a refund of £55.95.   Total to pay for this next year's insurance on the Ami : £29.78 

I can cope with that :)

Roll on Autoshite classics !

• 3 weeks later...

I've just written to my dear friend Jani's daughter - Larisa, to ask her if she might contact any motor or technical museum in Slovenia, or one of their classic car clubs - to see if they might be interested in buying this Ami super. .

I have decided to sell the Ami-super.  This is not because it I do not like the car, but rather because I am just too big for it.!    I know ! ..I am very silly to have us all spend so much time and effort, not to mention a lot of money on a car which was not big enough for me to drive comfortably.  But before I bought her - I had read that the Ami was bigger inside than the Citroen 2cv (a car I know and was looking to buy at that time).. and it is indeed wider inside, but I didn't stop to think that its height would be so different.  It is in fact 125mm less.!

I am 195cm tall, also quite wide (!) ..and I have big feet. And the problem I now know is with cars that have their body-shell sitting on top of a deep chassis. Then the height inside the car and the space for feet is very limited.  If I were just 75mm shorter then this car would be OK - but as you know I am not  ..And so there is no sensible reason for me to keep her. 

I wonder if you and Jan might ask the motor or technical museums in Slovenia if they would like to buy this Ami-super from me ?  I think it would be good for the car to go home (she was made in Koper, and I bought her in Koper). I think for your family, and all good Slovenian people to see it well cared for would be nice.    I might add that this model of Citroen (with its four-cylinder 1015cc engine) is very rare now, and possibly this is the last roadworthy example of the Slovene built car to survive. It is part of your country's industrial history.

If the museums are not interested or not in a position to buy her, then perhaps you might contact the classic car clubs.  I used to belong to one in Ljubljana when I worked there with Event Yachting. That club had some very friendly members who made me feel very welcome.  Otherwise perhaps you know someone who might like this car.?

Here is the link to the Autoshite website where I shared the story of my buying her and our work on it <  http://autoshite.com/topic/23665-yugoslavian-ami-continuing-on-from-now-autoshites-flimsy-bodied-shitroen/ >.  It is not all a good story ..as that is the nature of old car restoration, but other parts of it are very good :)

I don't know the correct value of such a car, in the condition that she is now in, but expect I have spent much more money than I might sell her for.. I am open to offers.

If this is not something that you and Jan feel you can do for me - then please just say so (no reason need be given) - and I will not at all be offended.

Thank you Larisa and Jan.
God be with you and both your families.
Peter.
07958 100 633"

post-20151-0-30698100-1545224907_thumb.jpg

post-20151-0-62411400-1545224942_thumb.jpg

post-20151-0-12965100-1545225009_thumb.jpg

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

As you might have noticed in the above inside-the-boot photo - I draped the seats with red cotton sheets. The back seat was red brush nylon anyway but the front seats were a darker green and lime green respectively, so the red colour coordinated and tidied things up a little (Citroen casual style) for the adverts. .

P1320062.thumb.jpg.e83c44a79bc394241c33fb364479bf4b.jpg

P1320166.thumb.jpg.5ebf08eec0f1363e1dfa780f46b56a34.jpg

P1320174.thumb.jpg.98855f53184d2c08b7fab6e46f849b8e.jpg

P1320168.thumb.jpg.90e16cb50f3268f5ededc8142cbee0da.jpg

586542698_AmiSuperforSaleP1310789.thumb.jpg.a619528e671d901c6429fd942cf08a7c.jpg

1507640441_AmiSuperforSaleP1310792.thumb.jpg.692b14719a46d7b85e26aa6ae2707ce1.jpg

Anyway, I've had a number of time wasters and silly low bids and then finally a couple of chaps who are keen.  The question now is..  whether the car will go to an avid collector (seemingly of all models) of Citroen who lives in Berlin,  or will it go to a classic car expert in New York.?  The next couple of days should ..I hope, reveal all.

The deposit has been paid and, despite the banker's sense of humour in calling the bank transfer address a "swift" code,  it should be transferred into my account on or about Monday or Tuesday next week.  In the meantime I guess the bank earns the interest on mine ..and a few hundred thousand other transactions each day.

. . .

. .

Seems like mon Ami will be going to live in New York..  That should be a sight to see. . . .

new-york-traffic1a.thumb.jpg.58e434ab9fd8270eca910fa65b16870d.jpg

well the deposit didn't come through . .  :?  .... :angry:  .... :roll:

Supposedly they had a problem with the account number. I checked it on their paperwork (which they had copied me in on) and it was correct.  So I also gave them the IBAN number which hadn't been filled in.  On Monday Eric tried to send it again.  

Today the deposit has now cleared my UK account..   Little Ami is going to New York   B)  ..assuming of course the balance (in $-US) is paid in full before someone comes to collect. This money, then in dollars is to pay for the Triumph I'm trying to buy  < here > and its shipping. 

It's probably of no interest to you at all but -  the new owner of little Ami  is Bonham's (the auctioneers) head of Sales, in New York.  He tells me that it's a private purchase for himself and his wife.   What's that famous line from Casablanca : "Of all the king pin joints, in all the towns, in all the world - he wants into mine(efa).

• 2 weeks later...

Despite the bankers on either side of the Atlantic not speaking the same language - the balance of payment has now been received.  The Ami is sold. 8)

The balance was made into a USD currency account,  so I hope to buy the Triumph TR4 < here > with that and avoid the probable & imminent Brexit devaluation of sterling, and also x2 lots of currency exchange fees.  That assumes of course the chap (Raymond) in the US does get around to packing his TR ready for shipping and the sale does eventually come through.

• 2 weeks later...

You know that vacant feeling when things have had to move on but still you feel there's something missing . .

P1260311s.thumb.jpg.d586ec8908fe79c18a3ff16519f0bccd.jpg

Looking forlorn, as she sits out in the drizzle awaiting to be collected  . .

P1260312s.thumb.jpg.23018505f36eeafa689e52251d5e3704.jpg

.. isn't New York  the land of giants,  awful 'french' mustard and corn dogs ? 

Putting on a brave chin-up Citroen Ami  look ..

P1260315s.thumb.jpg.75eee65eb95040a37748fb618f8d7c75.jpg

P1260317s.thumb.jpg.aeb3e3c288abb1612819421af98f18a5.jpg

..a sad goodbye in the wet. . 

" Gentlemen of the shipping company.
I might only presume you didn't have the Ami collected on a vague hope that 'someday' you'll find a little spare space to consolidate and
ship the car to New York..  Accordingly, as n' when someone can be arsed to advise me of the shipping date - then I can conclude the
paperwork with the UK's vehicle licensing agency and get the original paperwork sent off to Eric.
Thank You and have a nice day.  "

you'd never guess I'm in a particularly grumpy mood this evening  ..would you ?

• 4 years later...

Just had cause to revisited this.. Oh how the years fly !

I can only wonder how the car was received in America. I never heard again from the buyer.  It was most likely considered some sort of microcar when seen alongside big Yank automobiles of the same era. 

Pete