Which new cars are worth buying?

nick

My Mum wants a new car. When I say new, I mean up to £10k so 3 years old is fine but she does not have the same love or patience for shite as myself. I cannot blame her considering that I have left a Renault 11 I recently bought on her driveway for a few months "while I clear my garage" and it has only moved twice round the block.

Anyway, she's been looking at cars and so far liked the following:

- Fiat Panda

- Nissan Duke

- Nissan Note

She's driving a Zafira A at the moment and likes the high-ish driving position but wants a smaller car.

Any thoughts please?

I was going to say the Juke didn't offend me as much as I thought it might, I did about a thousand miles in one over a couple of weeks. However if it's smaller than a Zafira A you're after, I reckon disappointment lies that way. It certainly didn't feel small, I think the blobby shape gives rise to quite a compact cabin but a large overall shape. 

I liked the Panda 100hp but that was only because it was a revvy little engine that loved to be thrashed. I suspect in a non-exciting version the bits of trim falling off would soon get frustrating, and given the stories on here recently she might get sick of sitting in a dealer drinking coffee waiting to collect her car after another warranty repair.

Never tried a Note.  

Pandas are very good, go for the higher power versions. Great little cars (for a newie) and terrific in the snow too according to a mate of mine. Don't know about longevity though. 

Dacia Sandero's are worth considering for the money, a couple of colleagues of mine have bought them in the last year and can't fault them for the money. 

My parents were originally looking at a 3 year old Note and had pretty much the same criteria. They ended up with a brand new Meriva Life by using a few of Vauxhall's discounts in conjunction with each other. Local dealer (Evans Halshaw) said they couldn't do that and what they really needed was a pre-reg so they rang a smaller dealer group who said "yeah no problem!". They used Vauxhall's scrappage scheme thingy plus a dealer discount and a further £500 discount from Vauxhall's website to get the Meriva for £9800 or there abouts.

The only proviso was they couldn't finance the car and still get all the offers, but they had money in order. Completely lifeless car but for A-B transport that has a warranty and no worries I reckon that's a good deal.

Funnily enough I have exactly the same Dialemma (for Thompson) at the moment with Mother Womble and if you have a couple of weeks keep an eye on the Wombles Wheels thread where I will be testing the following:

Toyota Aygo (Aka C1 & 108)

Ford Ka

Fiat Panda

Viva from Vauxhall

Suzuki Celerio

VW Up! 

Skoda Citigo (same as the Up! really)

Hyundai i10

Kia Picanto

As an extra special shite prize for Mother Womble we also are testing a Dacia Sandaro as the Dacia dealer is next door to the Toyota dealer.

All the above can be had for sub £10K and Ive decided I probably wont take the Polo on so that will give some more money to play with for trade in.

Funnily enough I have exactly the same Dialemma (for Thompson) at the moment with Mother Womble and if you have a couple of weeks keep an eye on the Wombles Wheels thread where I will be testing the following:

Viva from Vauxhall[/background][/font][/color][

Ahem for a totally unbiased* report feel free to message me.